Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-04-2005, 11:38 AM
idiot wind

1992 Alarm questions

Hello All,

I just recently purchased a 1992 SVX and am really enjoying it. I did have it to the dealer to take care of some issues but now all is fine. The 2 problems that I’m experiencing now is 1 with the alarm system and one with the automatic drivers side seatbelt. I did search this forum and was unable to find the identical problem or question.
Alarm:
Seems like all was working fine before the dealer visit, and I did call them for assistance but offered no real help, here is what is not working:
1. using either remotes the drivers side door will not lock or unlock
2. using the key in the passengers door does not unlock the drivers side door
3. while inside the car locking and unlocking the doors using the passengers side door inside lock does not lock or unlock the drivers side door
Otherwise everything else works as the owner manual states.

Seat Belt:
What is the criteria for the lap belt moving out of the way when exiting the SVX? It always works if the key is in the ON or ACC position and the driver side door is open, intermittently it will move out of the way when the key is removed and the door is opened, I was just wondering what the proper behavior should be.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks’
jr
Old 06-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiot wind
1. using either remotes the drivers side door will not lock or unlock
3. while inside the car locking and unlocking the doors using the passengers side door inside lock does not lock or unlock the drivers side door
1: Do the remotes work at all? Are you saying they do unlock the passenger door but not the driver's?

2 and 3: That is normal behavior. The driver's door key and lock lever also operate the passenger lock, but not vice-versa.

Sounds like maybe the lock servo motor in your driver's door is bad or has a faulty connection.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:43 AM
idiot wind

Hi and thanks for the response, using either remote I can arm and disarm the alarm, the remotes will also lock and unlock the passengers side door only.

Also is the servo motor located in the drivers side door?
Old 06-06-2005, 10:24 AM
red95svx

Quote:

Both of these are normal.

Dave
Old 07-02-2005, 07:26 AM
96svxer

I would doubt it's your servo motor. Your problem is in the trunk. The control box is located directly under the rear wiper in the trunk. See my locker for pics. I had the same problem with the lapbelt and spent along time diagnosing the problem. I replaced the module and everythign has been fine. I have also helped a few other members on this board with the same problem and replacing this module has worked for everyone. This will cure your lapbelt problems. And possible your unlock issues.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:33 AM

Registered SVX
The control for the 92 is in the trunk? i thought it was behind the glove box.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
... is the servo motor located in the drivers side door?
Yes, the one for that door is (passenger door has its own).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96svxer
I would doubt it's your servo motor. Your problem is in the trunk. ... [replacing the seatbelt control unit] will cure your lapbelt problems. And possible your unlock issues.
The two door lock servo motors (driver- and passenger-side) are wired together. Both will always be powered at the same time. The alarm module has only a single "lock" output and a single "unlock" output that operates both doors -- it's impossible for it to fail in such a way that it would operate only one of the two door lock servos.

So if the driver's door servo isn't working, it's either the servo motor or the part of the wiring unique to that motor. The problem is very likely inside that door (that's where I'd look first -- easier to access). I'd also find a wiring diagram that shows the physical location of where the wires going to the two servos split. Probably happens right behind the door lock module.

At least some years (not sure if all), the door lock timer module is behind the glove box. On the 92, the security module is there too. I think the motorized seatbelt control module is always in the trunk.