Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 01-14-2005, 10:46 AM
simonton

Amp question

would hooking a high quality sub (memphis 500D) up to a ****ty amp (DUAL 340 W) cause any problems if I just make sure the AMP isnt at a level in which in clips?

I ordered a better amp, but its not here yet, and I have the sub; so im dyin to hear what it sounds like just with the crappy amp. But I really dont want to damage it just because im impatient...
Old 01-14-2005, 11:56 AM

no. there's only two ways to hurt a sub:

1) Over powering

2) Clipping

so as long as you don't drive the amp into the clipping region the sub will be fine - just not as loud. well maybe three if you think about heat and a poorly designed ported or bandpass box (opps that makes 4 doesn't it).

Greg - beat ya again
Old 01-18-2005, 08:28 PM
simonton

ok thanks again lee.

One more question; I had a bridged connection with the old sub; the new sub is a dual voice coil; so is it okay to run a parallel circuit to the dual voice coil from a bridged connection? I know this means ive now got two instead of four ohms, and everything checks out okay as far as power goes; this means ill get 340 peak... but i just need to make sure that hooking up a parallel is ok here.

This is all just temporary anyways... Ive got a new memphis amp in the mail, but unfortunately this guy on ebay is incredibly slow. Which leads to another question. Would anyone happen to know how to check a memphis amp for authenticity? I cant hook it up until i get my car back from yet another tranny fix, but i just wanted to be sure that this is a real amp, not some ebay knock-off that will clip and melt the **** out of my sub. Im not too concerned, i have no reason to think this isn't real... but if anyone knows a quick check, let me know.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:07 PM

It depends.

How many channels is the amp to begin with? What impedance load can it carry before bridging?

To handle a two ohm load from dual voice coils, the amp would have to be 1-ohm stable for single channels (bridging doubles the minimum load allowed). A rare bird these days in other than dedicated sub amps (I seem to remember pure class A amps can handle this somewhat better).

As long as the amp channels "see" the same music content, just run one channel to one voice coil, and the other channel to the other voice coil, that way you should be good to go with most amps.

edit: I wouldn't be too worried about a clone problem. If I was going to go through the trouble of a clone I'd pick JL or Arc or Zapco. Memphis can be recognized in general by a much less than usual width of the amp, they are pretty densely packed electronically, fuses on the newer models are on the bottom, not the usual end cap...if there are specifics I have a local Memphis dealer I could ask questions of...let me know. BTW, Memphis will not perform warranty repairs from an Internet purchase, has to be from a licensed dealer with receipt, etc. Big time disclaimer at their site & they mean it.

Last edited by lee; 01-18-2005 at 09:16 PM.