Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2003, 09:50 PM
Henry

DRW Transmissions

At 104k my tranny was rebuilt by a shop that owed me a few $$. Shortly after finishing the work they went out of business - at the time I considered myself lucky.

31k later it died, so I took it to DRW in Santee, CA. Don Wang has been my best choice for many years (turbo Buicks, family cars, friends' cars, etc.). Don found a ton of internal trouble - much directly attributable to the half-assed job and (really!) damage done by his predecessor. Some of the parts he showed me were pretty terrible - I was lucky it lasted that long. The rebuild took $3.8k because many hard parts had to be replaced. That's really the high end of a rebuild.

The tranny now feels like new, and has a 36k warranty on it. He incorporated every TSB, made every improvement. I am certain the DRW-rebuilt tranny will do MUCH more. For the record, it's a big shop but Don did the job personally. He remains my first choice, and I have terrific confidence in the car.

After DRW finished I replaced the timing belt and accessory drive belts, plugs, front cam seals, the water pump, the front seal, and did a few other things to bring the car into line.

At 136k miles I'm pretty sure it'll go another 100k without much work.

Yes, I know.
I have more in it than it's worth. I'd rather have *this* car than a later model with lower mileage that's about to lose the tranny. My interior is perfect, everything works, the car is refrigerator white, the wheels are polished, and it's exactly the car I want.

Last edited by Henry; 07-22-2003 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:11 PM
JLittell

Refrigerator white?? I like the sound of that color!! Glad you had a good experience w/ getting your car finally up to speed!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:15 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Good Luck with Tranny #2. I've seen DRW mentioned several times before. I'm on my 3rd. 'SUBARU' Tranny at 237,000 miles.
My SVX is worth every penny I've put in her. And I'm sure I'll be putting more in.
'03 Forester XS 214,000 miles
'05 Outback 3.0R
Old 07-31-2003, 05:20 PM

drw transmisson

Just wanted to say I"ve spoken to Don wang and he knows what he is doing..

Back when my Tranny died I was looking into options of A) sending it to him for a rebuild or B) haveing Level 10 do something. C) just getting a rebuild and have it installed .

Considering the tranny weighs a few hundred pounds I opted to not have DRW rebuild mine and just got a reMan from Subaru.

I must say Don is a great meachanic and honest person.. Most places you call will not bother to stay on the phone more then 5 mins. They are busy afterall. Yet Mr wang stayed on the phone helping me with my tranny issues..

I just wanted to say thanks , too bad we are located on either side of the USA but if anyone in CA has tranny issues he's the one you Need to take your car to.
Bar none!..

Happy drive'n
SVX1999
Old 07-31-2003, 10:10 PM
Raysir SVX

Tranny

My 92 has 120k and the way I got it, you guessed right bad tranny. I ordered a brand new trans from SOA. Haven't had any
concerns yet but I've got my fingers crossed.