SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-10-2003, 01:42 PM
lightning_8669

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummm, uhhh......

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Good point, but the moral of the dream stands. Maybe I wasn't clear enough: he collected the 'armadillos' himself, so it should have been pretty clear what they were.

What an idiot...
Yeah, ya got me there. But the girls think he's cute and probably don't give a rip if he don't know a snail from a, a....Just what kind of animal IS an armadillo anyway?
Old 04-10-2003, 01:48 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummm, uhhh......

Quote:
Originally posted by lightning_8669

Yeah, ya got me there. But the girls think he's cute and probably don't give a rip if he don't know a snail from a, a....Just what kind of animal IS an armadillo anyway?
Everything you ever wanted to know about armadillos, but were afraid to ask:

http://www.msu.edu/user/nixonjos/armadillo/

And for an even stranger, yet similar, animal:

http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/129.htm

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-10-2003, 01:55 PM
lightning_8669

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummm, uhhh......

Quote:

Everything you ever wanted to know about armadillos, but were afraid to ask:

http://www.msu.edu/user/nixonjos/armadillo/

And for an even stranger, yet similar, animal:

http://www.americazoo.com/goto/index/mammals/129.htm
Ahh, so you want strange? Here's strange

http://www.popularaviation.com/PhotoGallery/593.jpg

But at least it doesn't ocurr 'naturally'
Old 04-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ummm, uhhh......

Quote:

Ahh, so you want strange? Here's strange

http://www.popularaviation.com/PhotoGallery/593.jpg

But at least it doesn't ocurr 'naturally'
Ok, I'll bite. What the heck is that? It looks like a cross between the Spruce Goose and a battleship maybe? Is it real? What are the three pairs of tubes going against aerodynamics on its back. Those, combined with the shape of the hull... er... fuselage, give it that battleship look. And what's up with the tail? That thing couldn't actually fly could it?

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-10-2003, 02:31 PM

Registered SVX
I'm guessing that it's Russian and that it's meant for anti-submarine operations.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-10-2003, 02:39 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
I'm guessing that it's Russian and that it's meant for anti-submarine operations.
I was close:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/903.htm

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-11-2003, 06:05 AM
lightning_8669

Quote:

I was close:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/903.htm
Give the man a Quipie Doll!!!

Both of you guys did a great job. It was actually built by the Soviets (remember them guys?) to help them "hide" their missiles. It is actually a type of "boat". And it, unofficially, holds the speed record for water operations, 350 mph! It behaves, for all practical purposes, like an airplane flying in what is called "ground affect". Anytime an airplane if within 1/2 its wingspan of the ground (water) it is in ground affect and will "float" there very economically and can actually move faster as there is less drag for it to deal with. I don't know all the physics, I just know that when I come in for landings I have to wait for the plane to settle through the ground affect. Sometimes it seems to take for ever all the while the runway slips by underneath.

But the first time I saw this contraption I thought it was some sort of steam powered airplane. I wonder where they load the coal?
Old 04-11-2003, 07:31 AM

Registered SVX
The first clue that it was Soviet was the placement (and number ) of the engines. Nobody else I know of ever put their engines high up on nacelles forward of the wings. Weird.

It seems to me that flying full-time in ground effect would be a tricky thing to do. I realize that the thing is almost riding on a 'cushion' of air like a hovercraft - but how careful do you have to be turning it???

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-11-2003, 08:28 AM
lightning_8669

Quote:
The first clue that it was Soviet was the placement (and number ) of the engines. Nobody else I know of ever put their engines high up on nacelles forward of the wings. Weird.

It seems to me that flying full-time in ground effect would be a tricky thing to do. I realize that the thing is almost riding on a 'cushion' of air like a hovercraft - but how careful do you have to be turning it???
I think it was designed as a point it and run kind of thing. I have a photo of another version of the thing. The engines were mounted high to prevent them from ingesting water. I'm sure that would be a bad scene. In one of the articles I read about the beast it reported that at least one had "broken up". As for the turning I think the "bird" had some sort of riggers under it that were probably useful at slow speeds. At high speed the thing probably needed all sorts of room. I think their goal in the program was to allow for a rapidly moving target for American missiles. I can only imagine what kind of noise it generated
Old 04-11-2003, 08:36 AM
lightning_8669

http://www.samolet.co.uk/km.html

Some more info and photos of the other contraptions "big brother". Click on the photos at the bottom to enlarge and you can see just how large the thing is. Max weight was just over (are you ready?) 500 (yes HUNDRED) tons!

Not your typical bass boat is it?
Old 04-11-2003, 09:03 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
The engines were mounted high to prevent them from ingesting water.
I understand that. My point was just that I've never seen any other country put them there. The Soviets also built other transport aircraft with the engines in the same place - probably for remote unpaved runways and such.

Man they built some weird stuff. Check out that v-tail on top of the rudder. I swear they intentionally designed their military hardware to look alien so it would scare the hell out of us.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 04-11-2003 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:04 AM
lightning_8669

Quote:

I understand that. My point was just that I've never seen any other country put them there. The Soviets also built other transport aircraft with the engines in the same place - probably for remote unpaved runways and such.

Man they built some weird stuff. Check out that v-tail on top of the rudder. I swear they intentionally designed their military hardware to look alien so it would scare the hell out of us.
Amazing what a lousy diet and lots of vodka will do to an engineer isn't it?

I recall seeing a show discussing the Mig fighter aircraft. A couple of things intrigued the Americans. In the early models of the Mig the radios and avionics were run with tubes instead of transistors and ICs. The reason, after some thought by the Americans, was that in a nuclear war the pulses from detonating warheads would have little affect on the tubes while the "solid state" stuff would become inoperable. Basically the Soviet aircraft would continue to fly. Ours? Parked at the bottom of craters.

The other thing that intrigued the Americans is the placement of jet intakes on the fighters. They placed them high up on the wings. The Soviet's reasoning was that during a conflict it would be likely that the planes would be flying out of less than desirable locations (most Russian military airstrips have weeds growing up between the cracks!!) so the engines would be tempted to suck up whatever debris was on the ground. Putting the intakes on the top of the wings would reduce the likelihood of this happening. In the States a crew of guys walks the runway before launching a fighter, removing bits of crud and pebbles to protect the engines.

When we think about it the ugly stuff they made had a certain elegant usefulness about it. But ugly it was/is
Old 04-11-2003, 10:35 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
That's some pretty interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing those links.

In the first link Nick found (the one where they show the missile launcher version) they mention this: "If the wing’s natural accelerated flow passing over it is further accelerated by the high-velocity exhaust of a turbojet engine, the lifting capacity of the wing is even more greatly enhanced."

The way I take this is that they put all those engines up in front to try to accomplish this effect. What do you guys think? (of course keeping the water and debris from being sucked in would be a good reason too)

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 04-11-2003, 11:00 AM
lightning_8669

Quote:
Originally posted by MacGyver
That's some pretty interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing those links.

In the first link Nick found (the one where they show the missile launcher version) they mention this: "If the wing’s natural accelerated flow passing over it is further accelerated by the high-velocity exhaust of a turbojet engine, the lifting capacity of the wing is even more greatly enhanced."

The way I take this is that they put all those engines up in front to try to accomplish this effect. What do you guys think? (of course keeping the water and debris from being sucked in would be a good reason too)
A very likely engineering consideration. On small aircraft the tail benefits from the airflow from the propeller to help the plane maintain directional stability. The "V" tail on the Soviet invention is also ther for stabilities sake. Normally an aircraft would have a dihedral on the wing but because they are using the wing to produce ground affect they need to keep it "straight". My guess is the tail provides some of the stability the wing shape would normally offer.