Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2023, 08:43 PM

Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46 DAB

For those who are looking for a radio with modern functionality with a classic/retro aesthetic like I was, I'd like to present this as a potential option.

Why this one specifically?

Blaupunkt designed this radio to recall the style of the Bremen unit that they offered in the late 80s and early 90s. It offers adjustable RGB backlighting with customizable dimming options, meaning you can closely match the backlight color to the factory backlighting color on all of the switchgear in the car. It also offers Bluetooth connectivity, as well as USB, Aux, and SD Card inputs.

Is it a direct fit?

No. It is a single DIN radio, but the frame is about half the depth of most other radios. As a result, the mounting screw locations do not align with the holes in the radio cage. Additionally, the face of the radio is quite large, and the volume knob protrudes further out when compared to the factory radio. I worked around this by trimming the cage, drilling new mounting holes, and notching the trim ring that surrounds the factory radio. I also chose to remove the cover over the top of the radio door latch to clear the volume knob when the door is down, as well as trim some of the material from the door hinges to give it clearance to swing down as normal. If you opt to go with this radio, give yourself a lot more time than you might think you need to install it.

The end result is that the radio sits in the position in the cage that the CD Player would occupy. Since this is a BYOM (Bring Your Own Media) device and considering that my CD player didn't work anyway, this wasn't a problem. It did mean that I had an open space above the radio, but I was able to 3D print a blanking pocket for future projects.

How much does it cost?

The radio is available from multiple retailers, but expect the price to be around $500.

Anything Else to add?

Yes. The radio comes with a wiring harness with one end terminated for the radio and the other end bare. The bare ends are intended to terminate at the radio harness. You can cut and splice directly to the body harness if you'd like, or you can buy this connector and these terminals. That way, you can terminate the bare ends to plug directly into the body harness rather than having to cut and splice. If you don't have a pair of terminal tools, I recommend these. Pinout information is here.

Overall, I'm really happy with how the radio looks and performs. I like that it doesn't stand out like a more modern radio might while offering Bluetooth connectivity, USB, SD card, and AUX inputs. The sound quality and build quality are both very good, but there is no getting around the high price tag that it carries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20231022_183003.jpg (400.7 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 20231022_183014.jpg (970.6 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by JeromeSt; 12-21-2023 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-18-2023, 07:49 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Blaupunkt Bremen SQR46 DAB

Looks good.