Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-09-2003, 06:09 PM

Question where's the door lock switch?

After spending all too much time at work, I'm back to working on my door locks.

My Alldata CD says the door lock switch has a blue 6-pin connector, but neglects to mention where on the car one might actually find such an thing. FYI, I am not looking for the door lock timer or security module, I know where those are.

If you know, please pass along the info. tia
Old 02-09-2003, 06:34 PM
Green1995SVX

That doorlock switch was only on the 93 up models? I know its not on the 92.

Mike
Old 02-09-2003, 06:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
The 92's did not have a switch. It simply reads the position of the driver side lock and sets the passenger side to match. On 93 and later models, there is a switch on the center console next to the shifter.

KuoH
Old 02-09-2003, 06:42 PM

OK....But, please see the attached sent to me by Beav for the 92 model - which BTW matches the Alldata wiring diagram for a 92. The Alldata harness diagram shows connector R52 ending at what looks like the general area of the dash, but a cursory look doesn't disclose it's hiding place.

I'm trying to figure out how the door lock timer knows to trigger the door lock motors.
Attached Images
File Type: gif lock wiring.gif (24.1 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by lee; 02-09-2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:04 PM

I would look in the driver side door. The switch is integrated to the driver side lock mechanism. The trigger is simple, simply ground the lock or unlock wire for the desired function.

KuoH
Old 02-09-2003, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kuoh
I would look in the driver side door. The switch is integrated to the driver side lock mechanism. The trigger is simple, simply ground the lock or unlock wire for the desired function.

KuoH
first, thanks for sticking with me.

I've had the driver's side door open. the wires match the diagram, i.e., at the motor there's four wires for the driver's door, three in the passenger door.

I'm confused - are you saying the diagram is wrong - that there isn't a small box someplace with a six-pin connector and the appropriate wires/colors at R52 per the diagram?
Old 02-09-2003, 11:13 PM

If there is, it would either be inside the driver side door or near the wiring into the door. 92 SVX's do not have a switch separate from the driver side lock, so either R52 goes to that or goes nowhere.

Are you the one with the problem of only one door locking and unlocking? If so, then that switch is not your problem.

KuoH
Old 02-11-2003, 08:39 AM

OK thanks. I'm going to presume they put a harness there, but never implemented a switch for the 92.

I'm having trouble with both locks. It's a long story - first the driver's side wouldn't lock/unlock intermittently, then the passenger - eventually just disconnected the motors from the locks, which left me with manual lock/unlock only.

Anyway, I'm going to replace the door lock timer and hope that fixes the problem - there are two small relays in there that have probably just hit their limit of switching.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:08 AM

There have been far more reports of problems with the lock actuators than the timer module. In fact, the only time I recall reading about a timer module failure was due to a botched aftermarket alarm install. I would double check that before laying out cash for a new module.

KuoH
Old 02-11-2003, 11:37 AM

I have hit the lock motors with a pulse and they extend/retract both at the motor plug, and at the lock timer plug. that's why I'm down to the timer itself
Old 02-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: door locks

i wonder if it's possible to rig a 92 with a doorlock switch near the shifter like the later models.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:50 PM

Yes it is possible. Just tap into the two wires going to the security system or driver side door lock and wire them to a SPDT momentary switch. Cost of parts would be around $5 if you just went with a generic Radio Shack switch.

KuoH