Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-31-2003, 09:20 AM
hotshoe50

low rpm stalling

Hello,

I seem to have a problem that happens about half the time coming to a stop sign or a traffic light. As I slow to a stop it stalls..

Is this a transmission glitch or an idle that is too low. That said, it normally idles at about 500 rpm, which seems a little low to me. Is there an adjustment screw or is this one of those "do not touch" emissions related things?

Thanks for the help

Hotshoe
Old 01-31-2003, 10:53 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Not sure what the problem is, but 500 rpm seems a bit low for idle. I think mine idles at about 750 rpm. My Chilton's manual says that with *all* accessories off, including lights, and the car in "P", it should be between 600 and 800 rpm. It also states that you should check it with a bunch of accessories enabled. It says turn on the lights, AC, and rear defroster. The idle should go to 800-900 rpm.

Before attempting to adjust the idle, the manual says that you should first check to make sure the ignition timing is correct, the plugs are in good shape, and there are no vacuum leaks. Adjusting the idle is accomplished by connecting the "Subaru select monitor" to the harness located under the left side of the dash. Don't have one of those do you? Apparently there is an idle adustment screw, but the manual says not to touch that.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
When it's warm, the car should idle at around 600rpm. I wouldn't call 500rpm suspicious.

It sounds to me like maybe your idle air control valve might be sticking. The IAC valve in my wife's Legacy was sticky, and the symptoms were similar, but her car also loped a lot.

I'd recommend removing the IAC valve and cleaning it with some carb cleaner and whatever else you can fit in there to scrub off any deposits. Of course, don't leave the scrubbing device behind.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
I had some low RPM stalling when my Mass air flow sensor went bad. Don't know how to test it, but my subaru dealer diagnosed it for free. Maybe do a search on adjusting the TPS since that regulates idle RPM.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 01-31-2003, 08:17 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Re: low rpm stalling

Try cleaing the throttle body first... If it still happens, and you suspect the MAF, I can always loan you mine for an hour... I'm still looking for an excuse for a meet.

Idle without the A/C running and the engine warm is about 600RPM.

Oh, and look for a vacuum leak too, especially along the hose from the MAF to the throttle body. I found two cracks on the air box attached to the throttle body, and the cracks were where the various hoses attach to the air box.

BTW, I saw a silver a few days back in TO (along with 3 other SVXes that day, but I was driving my Legacy ), with a Barrie Auto Group (or something-or-other) license protector on the back. Any chance it was you?

VK
Quote:
Originally posted by hotshoe50
I seem to have a problem that happens about half the time coming to a stop sign or a traffic light. As I slow to a stop it stalls..

Is this a transmission glitch or an idle that is too low. That said, it normally idles at about 500 rpm, which seems a little low to me. Is there an adjustment screw or is this one of those "do not touch" emissions related things?
Old 01-31-2003, 08:26 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by SVX10
I had some low RPM stalling when my Mass air flow sensor went bad. Don't know how to test it, but my subaru dealer diagnosed it for free. Maybe do a search on adjusting the TPS since that regulates idle RPM.
No, the TPS doesn't regulate the idle.

No, you don't adjust any screw(s) to raise/lower the idle. The only screw available is the throttle stop and it's only to keep the throttle blades from digging into the throttle body. Messing with this screw is a Bozo no-no.

A vacuum leak will raise the rpm just as if the throttle were opened a bit. However there's usually a roughness added as a result.

The ignition timing is adjusted by the computer. As the SVX has no distributor there's nothing to adjust.

Nick's got the right idea. Do a search for cleaning the throttle body and idle air controller, that should be the cure. While you're in the vicinity replacing the PCV valve is a good idea.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:36 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Beav,
So what sets the idle speed on the SVX? ECU?
Are the throttle plates normally a little bit open or completely shut?
What happens if the screw backs out a little?
Surely if the screw was turned IN the idle speed would go up or is there some other problem with that?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
When it's warm, the car should idle at around 600rpm. I wouldn't call 500rpm suspicious.

It sounds to me like maybe your idle air control valve might be sticking. The IAC valve in my wife's Legacy was sticky, and the symptoms were similar, but her car also loped a lot.

I'd recommend removing the IAC valve and cleaning it with some carb cleaner and whatever else you can fit in there to scrub off any deposits. Of course, don't leave the scrubbing device behind.
Where is the IAC located? I have a low idle rpm issue, started a few weeks ago. I cleaned the MAF & new spark plugs on Sunday. Next I'll go after the PCV valve, what a PITA that is, I have a set of crow's feet now so might be a bit easier to r&r.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshoe50 View Post
Hotshoe

Do yourself a favor and clean your MAF. Easiest thing to do and it is a likely culprit. Just buy some MAF cleaner (don't use anything else) and spray the crap out of it, let it air dry, then reinstall it. If it doesnt work unplug your battery for an hour or so to reset the computer and see if that helps.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Do yourself a favor and clean your MAF. Easiest thing to do and it is a likely culprit. Just buy some MAF cleaner (don't use anything else) and spray the crap out of it, let it air dry, then reinstall it. If it doesnt work unplug your battery for an hour or so to reset the computer and see if that helps.
Thanks for the info, cleaned the MAF a few days ago, new spark plugs Sunday. Engine still dies in drive at a stop, I look at the tach & it's 500 or less, if I put it in N it picks up enough to keep running. I'm going to clean the PCV valve next.