Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM
The SVX Killer

Tow Truck Holidays

Wow, SVXes love holidays on tow trucks !!!

I am 90% sure they are going to tell me the gearbox is gone ... Brooky Spares can get me one out of WA for $1600, so that is not an issue, but ... has anyone converted theirs to a manual? If I am going to have to pay to have a gearbox replaced, that might be the way to go, since that is pretty high on my winning Lotto wishlist. Anyone know how much this is likely to cost me, and what I should tell my mechanic??

I also saw a green SVX in East Gosford over the Christmas/New Year period as well. Who was that, huh?? I think mine got jealous because yours was cleaner than mine, so he decided to break down.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Tow Truck Holidays

There are plenty of 5spd conversions and even a few 6spds
Cost wise not much more then the auto, most of the parts are interchangeable to other subaru models.
The 6spds are more pricey though, just because of the cost of the transmission though the labor is about the same I believe.
Prices though nate could probably give you a good estimate.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
A solid MT build could cost more than another auto.

My first MT was built for budget, and it failed in a few different ways. I'm sitting at around $8,000 for MT-related expenditures versus $2500 auto, but I also drive very aggressively at times in extreme conditions.

If you do all the work using free labor (which is likely) you could conceivable do it under $2000, especially if you do not build for strength using higher grade transmission like the 6MT, or upgraded 5MT.

This is just from my personal experience, but if you were to MT swap an SVX,
anything less than a built hydraulic 5MT should be limited to casual grocery-getting.
If conditions in yore area are relatively tame, a low-cost MT swap is feasible, maybe even $1600 feasible.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Registered SVX

Ok I just looked at your area, if im not mistaken you are in Australia, I am not sure if prices here will even conceivably equate to there.
I know there are some members from there that have done the conversion maybe one will let you know.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
Ok I just looked at your area, if im not mistaken you are in Australia, I am not sure if prices here will even conceivably equate to there.
I know there are some members from there that have done the conversion maybe one will let you know.

AND he doesn't have access to the handymen we call the 5spd conversion experts
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 PM

Registered SVX

Bad luck Countess.

If it makes you feel any better, mine hasn't been back to full driveable condition since I had the hydraulic lock problem the day after you saw mine in Gosford back in Apr/May last year.

My engine and gearbox are sweet, but the steering rack leak means I only take it around the block now and then.

Maybe I just give up on my SVX dream and part mine out to help you all keep yours on the road.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 AM
The SVX Killer

We have SVX experts? My mechanic hates it so much I had to find a new mechanic. Problem is, old mechanic was very cheap, new guys not so much. There is no way I can do it myself, 10 years ago yes, my dad was a mechanic but now has alzheimers and does not even know his name.

I have no tools, and no access to tools, so by the time I bought them all, would be the same as labour costs and imagine he bad a job I would do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
AND he doesn't have access to the handymen we call the 5spd conversion experts
Old 01-03-2012, 01:44 AM
The SVX Killer

It is very sad when they don't work. It has been my dream car for so long, but now I am over it. Very tempted to try and get $5000 for him, and get something that is cheaper when it breaks down.

How can you deal having it broken for that long? That is nuts.....

I should not think about it until I get a definitive answer and price from the gearbox ppl tomorrow. Just the mechanics opinion so far, and an over the phone with the auto guys.

Maybe I will buy a scooter..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestone View Post
Bad luck Countess.

If it makes you feel any better, mine hasn't been back to full driveable condition since I had the hydraulic lock problem the day after you saw mine in Gosford back in Apr/May last year.

My engine and gearbox are sweet, but the steering rack leak means I only take it around the block now and then.

Maybe I just give up on my SVX dream and part mine out to help you all keep yours on the road.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:49 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countess View Post
We have SVX experts? My mechanic hates it so much I had to find a new mechanic. Problem is, old mechanic was very cheap, new guys not so much. There is no way I can do it myself, 10 years ago yes, my dad was a mechanic but now has alzheimers and does not even know his name.

I have no tools, and no access to tools, so by the time I bought them all, would be the same as labour costs and imagine he bad a job I would do!
Sorry to hear about your father. My grandfather is currently suffering from mild dementia so I can only imagine how tough Alzheimer's can be.

Here in the states, a "4.44" swap has become common. However, from what I understand, this is not so simple with the Aus/NZ/JDM cars because of the VTD transmission and corresponding TCU and C solenoid signals. It can still be done, but is not as easy as a simple swap like here across the pond.
It would seem that the best options in your situation would be going with a quality and reputable shop to rebuild the dog box.
If you get in touch with Harvey (oab au), he may be able to help advise exactly what is needed in order to swap to a non VTD 4.44 transmission or otherwise going with a different geared VTD auto from a turbo Subaru of similar generation (89-98 there I believe).

I am not completely sure with the above info, but just trying to inform you of all possible options worth looking into. Knowledge is power, and will help make the best decision.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
How can you deal having it broken for that long? That is nuts.....
I can't! Hence the recent thoughts of parting it out.

But I have other cars, too many jobs, and 2 young girls (one born not long after the new engine went into the SVX!) taking up my time, so that's my real excuse.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:03 AM
it's ruby red - not burgundy!!

Registered SVX

Quote:
I am 90% sure they are going to tell me the gearbox is gone ...
What makes you say that? What actually happened when it broke down?

Jason.

1992 Ruby Red SVX - 165,000km

....now with sequential VIN numbers!

1986 Holden (Isuzu) Piazza Turbo - 225,000km

1993 Mercedes W140 S500 Coupe - 153,000km

1990 Mercedes W124 300D - 313,000km

EG33 + 4EAT + VTD AWD = SVX
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 AM
The SVX Killer

It is a shame jobs are required to obtain the precious parts! And I can see how the children would distract you. Mine are mostly grown up now, so that has passed. Just need the triple paying job. Now, where did I leave that lying around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestone View Post
I can't! Hence the recent thoughts of parting it out.

But I have other cars, too many jobs, and 2 young girls (one born not long after the new engine went into the SVX!) taking up my time, so that's my real excuse.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:24 AM
The SVX Killer

It was losing power when I put my foot down, and felt like it was going to stall. After a couple more of that, I pulled over and turned him off. Couple of minutes later, tried again, it was even worse. Would hardly move. Even without acceleration, felt like it was slipping in and out of gear. It has been having issues for months losing power about 2 minutes into driving, then that clears up. Already needed a center bearing in tailshaft. Not sure if that is related.

The mechanic looked at it today, and phoned the auto transmission guys, and they think it is the gearbox. Mechanic is taking it to the AT guys tomorrow. Oops, today. They said there are 2 boxes might go into it. One is $1800 parts, one is $2800 parts. Brooky spares can get me one from WA for $1600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDW-SVX View Post
What makes you say that? What actually happened when it broke down?

Jason.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Sorry about the box problem. Did anyone check the ATF level in the box?

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:13 AM
The SVX Killer

I should bloody well hope so! They get a bit antsy when you "accuse them of not doing their job". Gave me a quote today of $2500 - $3500 to repair the auto. I will ask them about that tomorrow.

I am now going to look at a Lancer tomorrow to replace her with. Wonder if I can get $4500 for the SVX as is... Surely that is a good buy for someone who wants a manual box and has the cash to throw at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au View Post
Sorry about the box problem. Did anyone check the ATF level in the box?

Harvey.