How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM

Registered SVX
selling a car

If u decide to sell a car only weeks after you buy it. The title is not in your name yet , u have not got a copy back from DMV . How do you sell that car ? Or if you never registered the car can you pass the title on to the new owner ?
Old 09-15-2011, 02:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: selling a car

I don't have an answer for you, but I can tell you what happened to me.

I bought my SVX in June from a gentleman in Maryland. When I did, he gave me a bill of sale and the Title for the car (a New York title) signed over to a Dealership in Pennsylvania.

The State of Virginia was unhappy with the paperwork, and stated that I needed a Dealer reassignment (whatever that is).

So I tried to get a hold of the previous owner. After a few (half dozen) calls and no calls back, I took a day and drove back up to the dealer. The dealer looked at me like I had grown a third head when I asked for a dealer reassignment.

So after a couple calls to notaries, he took my information and Title (giving me a copy of it first), and said he would register the car with PA then get it signed over to me.

The Title is coming in the mail, and I am waiting impatiently...

I am sure there is a better solution, but as it's probably fairly uncommon, you'll probably need to get some notary/DMV advice.

~TEck
Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Legally in most states you cannot sell a car without a clear title in hand (dealers are somewhat different as they don't need to apply for new titles).

So yes, you must wait for the title to show up before you can sell it. A vehicle does not need to be registered nor have ever been registered to sell it. Hope it helps!
Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 PM

Registered SVX

So if DMV drags their feet as they so often do , you or me are stuck with a car for maybe 3 or 4 months. That sucks
Old 09-15-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
So if DMV drags their feet as they so often do , you or me are stuck with a car for maybe 3 or 4 months. That sucks
PA isn't so bad, usually have stuff in less than 3 weeks. If it is something I want sooner I'll take it to Harrisburg and walk out with it. Some states do allow for other forms to be used but that is usually only for in the case of a lost title not one that is already in their "system of processing. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM

In Utah if you have the title in hand there are spaces on the back for 2nd and 3rd reassignment of title if you decide to sell it without applying for a new title in your name. You can even get a form with 4 or 5 more title reassignment amendment spaces on it. My 2nd SVX had had the title reassigned about a half dozen times before I bought it so the title was 3 pages long.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 09-15-2011, 08:46 PM

Registered SVX

In CT, if you registered the car (hard plates), and your waiting for the title to come back from the DMV, you can't sell it without the title.
It takes about 35 days to get your title back from the DMV right now, that is how behind they are.
If you never registered the car, and you have the title, then you just need to grab a Q1 form from CT DMV and fill that out and sign the title over to the new buyer, done deal.

hope that helps.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Legally in most states you cannot sell a car without a clear title in hand (dealers are somewhat different as they don't need to apply for new titles).

So yes, you must wait for the title to show up before you can sell it. A vehicle does not need to be registered nor have ever been registered to sell it. Hope it helps!
This is exactly right.
2001 Audi S8
Old 09-15-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
PA isn't so bad, usually have stuff in less than 3 weeks. If it is something I want sooner I'll take it to Harrisburg and walk out with it. Some states do allow for other forms to be used but that is usually only for in the case of a lost title not one that is already in their "system of processing. Good luck.
Ben-

The processing times on mailed-in paperwork are sitting right around 8 weeks right now. Online messenger transactions are about 3 weeks.
2001 Audi S8
Old 09-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Ben-

The processing times on mailed-in paperwork are sitting right around 8 weeks right now. Online messenger transactions are about 3 weeks.
Maybe for you way out there in that part of New York that Penn stole. Last title took me all of 2 weeks to get in the spring, although that was a duplicate not a transfer. Seemed to me that was about the time frame on most of my Penndot stuff though I don't get nearly as many as you. When you gonna start picking up some XFs. They're trading in the low/mid 20s at Manheim?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Maybe for you way out there in that part of New York that Penn stole. Last title took me all of 2 weeks to get in the spring, although that was a duplicate not a transfer. Seemed to me that was about the time frame on most of my Penndot stuff though I don't get nearly as many as you. When you gonna start picking up some XFs. They're trading in the low/mid 20s at Manheim?
I've been keeping an eye on the XFs. Once they hit about 15 i'll get one. I've sold 4 x-types in the last month, though!
2001 Audi S8