Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Everyone in PA OK?

Hopefully everyone in lower upstate NY and northern PA is OK after the insanity that went through yesterday and last night. The Binghamton area got over 11" of rain according to radar estimates!!!

Everyone was worried about Irene but the remnants of Lee may have caused as much or more damage. And that is baffling given that it was a Tropical storm that went from New Orleans to NY entirely over land and mountains. Our kids actually had a delay for school today and a lot of the schools are closed. Parts of the highway up here are under water and the rivers are no where near their peaks yet.

My sump pump is running almost continuously. Actually, I wish it were running continuously as that is better for it than constantly turning on and off. I'm thinking of proactively replacing it once winter hits. Maybe that will be my XMAS present. A new sump pump and backup batteries......

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Everyone in PA OK?

Crazy down here near Scranton. Rivers are supposed to crest Friday morning sometime. Just some mild run through in our basement. Most schools are closed. Many roads are, including Rte 80 and 81.

Melissa's (Subbyru89) mom has it worse. Her sump pump wasn't keeping up yesterday, I found a gas powered 1.5" pump yesterday at Harbor Freight that was able to keep ahead of the incoming water...
Old 09-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Our sump's been more active, but we definitely didn't have the troubles that this past spring brought.

Consider a powerless backup? If you haven't heard of this - it uses the house's water for a siphon effect. No batteries, no generators, no worries. If you're handy with plumbing, it shouldn't cost much.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM

August was the driest month on record for the Chattanooga area. 0.01 inches of rain. Monday alone they got over 10 inches in some places. Total at my gauge, last Friday through this morning, a tad under 4 inches. Man, we needed it.

Y'all stay dry up there in the NE.

dcb
Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Our sump's been more active, but we definitely didn't have the troubles that this past spring brought.

Consider a powerless backup? If you haven't heard of this - it uses the house's water for a siphon effect. No batteries, no generators, no worries. If you're handy with plumbing, it shouldn't cost much.
Here in the boonies we have well water and septic tanks. Tank is getting pumped next week as it is due. I checked the oil on the generator yesterday during one of the lulls in the storm and topped it off but, so far, we have not lost power.

It is really odd how rapidly the situation deteriorates as you move east. I drove west to Corning for work and the river is barely up there and there are hardly even puddles on the roads. In my town there were roads and bridges out and people getting water in their basements who never had water before. However, the main river wasn't as high as I have seen it. Maybe that was because there wasn't a lot of water coming from upstream which is west of here. The closer you get to Binghamton, the worse it gets. They are probably going to need to evacuate the town.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 09-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Here in the boonies we have well water and septic tanks.
Ah keep forgettin' I'm one-a them thar city slickers.

The radio gave us a "don't drive through flooded roads" warning a little while ago. News says they're ordering 10k to get evacuate Binghamton. Syracuse.com has a <live feed of downtown Binghamton's flooding>. (Footage window shows a nice blink shot of journalist Chris Strub before you play it.) I hope that's a high river and not a street!

EDIT: Looking at footage of a parking lot, yeh, that's a street. Dang...

Last edited by LetItSnow; 09-08-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

I was talking with TJ (HTRDD) earlier, he lives about 1/2 mile from the Susquehanna, as of now the river is about 1/2 way to his house. According to his neighbors, they stayed dry in the flood from Agnes in 1972 so he's hoping it stays that way tonight.

They're expecting it to crest down here after midnight.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Just got back from work. Went in yesterday at 6am. Going back in 7 hours to deal with more of stupid people who don't understand what a road closed sign means.

I think I have ya beat though Dave, our one pump pit flooded yesterday. I gave up wasting diesel after 8 hours the goodwin 4" pump had only dropped the pit 2 feet. Oh well there's 25 grand of electric pumps that are cores.

Sun is actually out so the 18"-20" of rain we got since Tuesday can join the 10" we got last week.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

We are fine, no water in the basement, and no flooded roads around me. (Although, everytime it rains like this it reminds me that I need to replace the seals around the SVX's rear spoiler. ) My manager is on a business trip and is cutting it short because the first floor of her house is flooded. The house is two stories, built on a slab. Not good. Another guy I work with has water spilling in from the toilet, the spectic system is overloaded. Yikes

In general the Central PA area is pretty hard hit. I have season passes to Hershey Park and it is currently flooded, it is amazing to me to see the pictures. They have a Zoo there and had to Euthanize two of their Buffalo that got caught in the flood. There is a bridge on a road near there, that is completely under water, not even visible.
Here is a webpage with a pretty good idea of how things are near the rivers and tributaries.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/new...nesdays-ho.asp

http://www.examiner.com/children-s-r...ber-2011-photo
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 09-08-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Registered SVX

Parents got 4" of water in the basement. The Schuylkill River near them is 9.2 feet over flood stage. Needless to say, my father's 45 minute commute today was washed out and he had to stay home.

Nothing like Central PA though. I hope the best for the areas that were hit hard.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 PM

Still far from me, but this is crazy!

I used to have to walk down this bank a ways to go fishing at this spot.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
I was talking with TJ (HTRDD) earlier, he lives about 1/2 mile from the Susquehanna, as of now the river is about 1/2 way to his house. According to his neighbors, they stayed dry in the flood from Agnes in 1972 so he's hoping it stays that way tonight.

They're expecting it to crest down here after midnight.
Check out these pictures for Meshoppen from 1972 and 2011. I don't know about the 1972 picture but the 2011 picture is clearly NOT at the river crest as it was taken earlier today while it was still raining.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1972agnes.bmp (987.8 KB, 149 views)

Old 09-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Yea Mishoppen and Tunkhannock got nailed. Fell bad for you guys out there. Gays is under water to the roof!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

My basement system which keeps the water off the floor and channels it to the sump pit sprang a leak today. If that's the worst that happens, I can't get too upset by it. The water was really coming into the basement hard. One little puddle is having a hard time registering on my give-a-crap-o-meter which is very low right now.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Hater

rivers flood? amazing!

i wonder if its safe to live at the base of a volcano?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: