SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2001, 08:32 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Talking 'Test Drive Le Mans' a real hoot

As some of you know, I make video games for a living. Therefore, I play an awful lot of video games in my spare time. Well, maybe not an 'awful lot' since I got married.

Anyway, one of my favorite genres is racing games. The stick against which all racing games now get measured (in my mind) is the Gran Turismo series. Call me crazy, but I dig the ability to finely tune gear ratios and suspension settings. Therefore, since this series has been available, I've stuck my nose up at just about everything since. Arcade racers don't have the detail or realism that I seek.

That being said, I recently bought Test Drive Le Mans for the Dreamcast, and it's a thrill to play. I'll skip to the fun stuff: I rose through the different championships and just finished the Open Prototype class, and had an absolute blast. The shrieking engines of 14 open Le Mans cars is exciting in a way I haven't experienced since the last time I was at the June Sprints at Road America.

And this one has actual pit strategy once you get into the longer races. Picking your tire compound and fuel load is important.

That all being said, the game lacks some things I wish it didn't. The difficulty settings aren't well done. Among the variables that change between the three settings is the opponent AI, which is really jsut a fancy way of saying how much your opponents are allowed to break the game's rules of physics. I would like to play on the 'expert' setting (and therby turning off the very basic traction control and ABS), but that means all the cars but mine make perfect starts and take every corner flat.

Okay, that's enough. Just thought I'd submit my review.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-05-2001, 11:26 AM
Lowered SVX

gran tourismo 3

i bought my sony playstation 2 specifically for that game and it still has not come out. i have beat both 1 and 2 about four or five times. i like you am completely spoiled by its gameplay and mod abilities. those games are just awesome.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-05-2001, 12:55 PM

Registered SVX
Re: gran tourismo 3

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i bought my sony playstation 2 specifically for that game and it still has not come out.
The current skinny on GT3 is July. Sony has a PS2/GT3 bundle in Japan that will be available on the 8th of June, and it's of course expected that the same will be sold in the US shortly after.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-05-2001, 03:45 PM
tat2skullz

You had to buy the game? What? Can't you write that off as some sort of business expense? R&D maybe? Tell your boss that your keeping up on the latest technology and competition, maybe you can get a monthly allowance to buy games.....

I dunno, just thinkin'

Seth
Old 06-05-2001, 05:14 PM
joeaux

Agree completely that GT is the 'stick'. As a matter of fact, the only reason I'll pick up a PS2 is because of GT3 (even though the SVX isn't in it anymore).
-joe-
Old 06-06-2001, 09:40 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by tat2skullz
You had to buy the game? What? Can't you write that off as some sort of business expense? R&D maybe? Tell your boss that your keeping up on the latest technology and competition, maybe you can get a monthly allowance to buy games.....

I dunno, just thinkin'

Seth
You assume too much. Just because I *bought* it doesn't mean I *paid* for it.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-06-2001, 11:41 AM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
GT3

well GT3 is a sweet game I can say frome xperience(played it recently and a friends japanese ps2)

It wont disappoint, though I wish tehre were more cars(sniff no svx?!)
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 06-06-2001, 02:17 PM

Registered SVX
Re: GT3

Quote:
Originally posted by htyei
well GT3 is a sweet game I can say frome xperience(played it recently and a friends japanese ps2)

It wont disappoint, though I wish tehre were more cars(sniff no svx?!)
I played GT3 about three months ago and I was really impressed with the visual improvements Polyphony had made to the engine. I've heard of the lower number of cars in GT3, but then there were way too many in GT2 anyway. I would prefer fewer cars if it means they implement more features.

I will miss the SVX, though.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-06-2001, 04:02 PM
Lowered SVX

WHAAATTTTT!!!!!!

NO SVX! ok now i am pissed. that was one of my favorite features. damn that bites. i was playing gt1 last night and the svx was available either with turbo or n/a. of course i built mine turbo and it has 452hp and weighs less than 2800lbs. i wish! on the second version they only allowed the n/a version so the hp was only 383, weight just over 3000lbs. stupid japenese designers now they are even dissing the svx. the svx is the rodney dangerfield of japenese sports cars. we get no respect.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"