Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: building engines and turboing 2 svx's woot woot!

also just so everyone is clear, the first thing I'll address is the gear choice. These aren't the old Group N's they are new group N's built to withstand 700+ hp you can find here....http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/page.asp...1&productid=79 other parts drivetrain wise that I'll need to upgrade as well can be found here...http://www.ppgearbox.com.au/page.asp...4&parent3id=31 I just am partial to the gearing on the 5MT as apposed to the 6MT
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
In talking with some of the local Subie guys they suggested that possibly with that much horsepower that the walbro 255lph wouldn't be enough fuel and that we'd be starving the motor, thoughts??
Install two

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

The suggestion was that I would either need a 280lph pump or the meth injection. Or doubling the walbros.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Inhabitant of Darkness

Registered SVX

that choice would be up to you

meth injection isn't that bad .
1992 Subaru SVX LS~L Ebony Pearl JDM 6MT/DCCD
2007 Subaru Legacy Spec B. Diamond Grey Metallic
Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Even with 6 550 injectors you are not going to be able to keep up with a GT40 turbo, same story with the Walbro. You can go with either 2 Walbro pumps, or move over to a more stout pump like the Fuelab 41401 or the Aeromotive A1000. Either of those will keep up with the fuel requirements of what you are contemplating. The Aeromotive has the limitation of 70 psi, which means you can't run more than 30 psi boost, although that is not likely to be an issue for you. I do like that the Fuelab has a built in PWM controller, so you can throttle it back while cruising to add to the pump life and reduce heating of the fuel. There is a guy selling a new Fuelab on NASIOC right now for just over 300 shipped. 2 Walbro pumps are cheaper than either of those options, but you will loose your motor if one of the two pumps fails.

While the gear ratio of the 5 speed is typically preferred to the 6 speed the differentials in the 6 speed more than make up for that if you are looking to the 07 STi transmission. There is no doubt that the PPGs are nice gears, but they cost as much as a 6 speed, and if you add in the price of differentials on the 5 speed to make them as effective as the 6 speed ones you are talking several thousand dollars more. Finally, if you are going to have someone install the PPG gears strongly consider Andrewtech as they know the PPG gears better than anyone in the US.

Good luck with the project, those will be 2 incredible machines if you plan it out well!

Jarrad
Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Banned

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: building engines and turboing 2 svx's woot woot!

I plan to get the ppg LSD conversion for the transaxle
Old 04-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: building engines and turboing 2 svx's woot woot!

Double post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegdrgr View Post
2 Walbro pumps are cheaper than either of those options, but you will loose your motor if one of the two pumps fails.

Jarrad
Why would you loose your engine?

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Why would you loose your engine?
As the total demand on the fuel pump exceeds flow capacity of the pump the fuel pressure drops. One way around this is to run 2 pumps, which cuts the demand on each pump in half. This keeps your fuel pressure up at the proper level. If you have one of the pumps fail you will not be able to maintain full fuel pressure which will cause your motor to run lean. As soon as this happens both the cylinder pressure and cylinder temps increase to a point at which detonation occurs. This detonation will lead to significant engine damage. On weaker pistons it will break a ring land. On stronger pistons like 2618 alloy forged piston you might not break the ring land, but you will either fail the rod or pound the bearings out of it.

Since you still have one pump running the motor continues to run unlike if you only had one pump and it fails the motor just stalls.

Jarrad
Old 04-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Wouldn't you feel performance drop and temperature increase when this happens? You can always stop and car and inspect it before anything breaks.

On the other hand I am not against one fuel pump, do not get me wrong, in fact I prefer one pump over two. Less complication I mean.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

Bump for an update I am going to superuus to start looking at a parts svx to see how were gonna run the pipes for the Turbo as well as a few other things on Friday . Updates with pics to come
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Would you consider making extra sets of turbo/intercooler piping to sell?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX

If we can nail down a setup that doesn't take 100's of man hours to build i MIGHT do a JIG and make a few sets. don't bank on it, these pesky one-off pipe dreams are a pita, so i might be spent after 2 of em!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

I was contemplating it, but with the custom work needed cutting and drilling etc into the engine bay and bumper, the kit would still not be a bolt on kit, so if there's enough interest and the price is right... we might put in some more man hours into making a kit... but judging by the backing and solid follow through of this community.... I wouldn't get your hopes up.

EDIT: one thing that we deff could do to sell is probably headers which would work for both NA and FI SVXers chances of that being an item of sale in the future is a lot more likely... but again... look at how much luck tom had at selling his... the market for these cars just isn't what it needs to be for the amount of work that is put into making these products. Now on the flip side if we had as much interest as the rear swaybar nevin made, that might make it worthwhile for us.

Last edited by Johnybeas; 04-28-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
I was contemplating it, but with the custom work needed cutting and drilling etc into the engine bay and bumper, the kit would still not be a bolt on kit, so if there's enough interest and the price is right... we might put in some more man hours into making a kit... but judging by the backing and solid follow through of this community.... I wouldn't get your hopes up.

EDIT: one thing that we deff could do to sell is probably headers which would work for both NA and FI SVXers chances of that being an item of sale in the future is a lot more likely... but again... look at how much luck tom had at selling his... the market for these cars just isn't what it needs to be for the amount of work that is put into making these products. Now on the flip side if we had as much interest as the rear swaybar nevin made, that might make it worthwhile for us.
What if you had money/commitment up front to just make a duplicate of whatever you are doing with the two cars? Instead of making two of everything, make 3. I've been interested in a turbo for a while now, but I just don't have the skill or connections to make the piping. Cutting I could handle, especially as you'll be leading the way.

My goals with the project would not be anywhere near yours though, much closer to what Phil's was like prior to switching to E85. 5psi intercooled and I'd be good. I have a 6-speed swap and a spare motor sitting in the garage (along with 3 370cc nismo injectors from my brother's 240). I figure, rebuild (or lightly build) the motor or use my ~70k mile motor, and use the ecutune stage 2, 370cc injectors, z32maf, and I'm pretty much set. (right?) Oh, and the turbo. In fact, there is an unused turbo sitting in my garage that just needs a rebuild. (Might not be right for the application, don't remember what type it is.)

I think it's something that the three of us could definitely work out. The part I'm not sure about is whether the stuff you'll be making will also work with my goals. Let me know what you think.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 04-29-2010 at 03:08 AM.