Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Aussie in enemy territory

Registered SVX
Upgrading Exhaust

Well, so much for keeping my 92 Pearl in absolute original mint condition. The car has been my daily driver since just before Xmas and I'm not a huge fan of the factory exhaust note or the barking sound it makes under throttle so today I booked in for a complete system from the manifolds back.

It'll be getting done by Woolfe Mufflers in Auckland who have arguably one of the best pipe fabricators in the country on staff and he'll be treating my pride & joy with the respect she deserves. All going well, I'll end up with a nicer sounding exhaust note, not too loud though. Also hoping to improve the fuel consumption a bit as well. I'm planning on keeping the factory exhaust tips and will have them modified to fit the new system.

So, anyone in NZ interested in an otherwise pristine factory exhaust system that's done ~45,000 Kms and no rust anywhere? It'll be unbolted and removed properly rather than gas-axed and should be able to be re-installed into another SVX. Could be an inexpensive way to repair or replace an existing system.

I'll try and get some before and after shots too for anyone interested in that kind of thing....
Old 02-25-2010, 08:56 AM

Cool Re: Upgrading Exhaust

Hey man how much you looking for the old exhaust ?

also post lots of photos - and an AVI would be good to hear the new sound ?

regards

Steve in Auckland
(1 OF 1)
Old 02-25-2010, 01:29 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Upgrading Exhaust

Hi Steve... not sure on price, will wait and see how it comes out of the car first I think. Always open to offers

If you're quick enough, I'll even consider leaving the original tips on as well. New system goes in on Tuesday.

Will def get some before and after photo's but don't have anything I can record the sound on though... will see if I can sort something out.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Cool Re: Upgrading Exhaust

Were abouts are you based - I am on the North Shore (Torbay) - we should get together for a beer with Hairy (Marcus) - he has been to my place a couple of times.

Steve

HM (09) 4737199

MOB 027-290-2361
Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURTEESS View Post
Were abouts are you based - I am on the North Shore (Torbay) - we should get together for a beer with Hairy (Marcus) - he has been to my place a couple of times.

Steve

HM (09) 4737199

MOB 027-290-2361
Greetings Steve,
You have not replied to my PM re the aero engine demo. Are you
interested?

Ewie,

Rather coincidental that the demo is being run by the proprietor of Woolfe Mufflers, a very, very old friend of mine.

Unable to understand why your OEM exhaust makes a "barking sound". Mine is very subdued and quiet as a kitten.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-01-2010, 01:44 AM

Registered SVX

Sorry for the tardy reply guys.. not ignoring you, just been busy is all..

@ Steve, would be good to catch-up.. I'm over the other side to you in Hillsborough area near Onehunga but I operate my business in the city.

@ Trevor, damn.. wish I'd known earlier that your know the Woolfe Mufflers guys personally, would've got you to put in a good word for me.. maybe even get a discount..

The sound it's making I think has more to do with something a little loose in one of the resonators because at idle she is, as you quite rightly say, quiet as a mouse. But under throttle she get's a real "bark" going that is more than a little annoying. I originally thought it might have been a catalytic converter starting to fail, but apparently not. I'll soon find out tomorrow when the system is removed.

BTW, what's this demo you mention??

Last edited by **Ewie**; 03-01-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Registered SVX
Smile Re: Upgrading Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Ewie** View Post
Sorry for the tardy reply guys.. not ignoring you, just been busy is all..

@ Steve, would be good to catch-up.. I'm over the other side to you in Hillsborough area near Onehunga but I operate my business in the city.

@ Trevor, damn.. wish I'd known earlier that your know the Woolfe Mufflers guys personally, would've got you to put in a good word for me.. maybe even get a discount..

The sound it's making I think has more to do with something a little loose in one of the resonators because at idle she is, as you quite rightly say, quiet as a mouse. But under throttle she get's a real "bark" going that is more than a little annoying. I originally thought it might have been a catalytic converter starting to fail, but apparently not. I'll soon find out tomorrow when the system is removed.

BTW, what's this demo you mention??
A rotary aero engine built by the late Ralph Watson, an old friend, is being given a demonstration run on Sunday seventh March, the venue being a life style piece of land on the North Shore, owned by Allan Woolf. Allan is now caretaker of the engine.

Go here and refer to the applicable chapter, for full info. ----

http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net/

Phone me ---- 820 8553, if interested.

We will all have to get together for a beer sometime.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!