How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-08-2002, 08:22 AM
I'm just sayin'..........

Loyale Oil leak

Before anyone says anything, I know this is an SVX forum....lol....BUT a lot of us own more than one Subie so I thought I'd ask.....Here goes....

I picked up a 92 Loyale 4wd for $550 and it has an oil leak. The car is in great shape otherwise and was owned by someone who didn't drive it in the rain or snow. (I know TMI)...anyway, it has a 1.8 liter engine and the leak appears to be coming from the front of the engine. I just found out that this is a common problem with these. Any ideas? Is it something that I could fix myself?

Thanks!!

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 08-08-2002, 12:24 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

leaker loyale

Is it coming from the bottom of the timing belt cover? Center of the cover?

If yes my guess would be the front seal. Never did one in a timing belted ru but its a simple process in the EA81. For you you'd need to remove the cover, remove the timing belt remove the crank pulley (might need a special tool to do this one) remove the seal and replace the $9 OEM item. My Brat was leaking a quart every 750k so it was imperative for me. If I were you I'd do the water pump timing belt and maybe some of the cam seals while you're in there or your garage is in there (I know it'll cost as much as the car cost ya).

A site you may wish to check out if you haven't already is

http://pub1.ezboard.com/bultimatesubarumessageboards
Old 08-08-2002, 12:30 PM

Leaky Loyale

Good lord bobby I didn't realize it was you. You changed your id again huh? Nice purchase, was it local? Rust issues? I'd be happy to take a look at it but Nubs could probably be a bigger help if you're pulling the timing belt (I prefer the chained ones myself). I know he has/had a Loyale that I think he's trying to sell that is unless you bought his.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:36 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Bobby, I don't know what kind of work you've done on your own cars before, so it's difficult to gauge whether or not you can do this yourself. But you can tell where the leak seems to be coming from and you bought a Loyale in the first place, so I figure that you're okay.

I had done relatively few repairs on my SVX (or any car) before I decided to replace the front crank seal by myself. It's not so bad, but it does take time. A lot of crap has to come out.

My experience, of course, is specific to the EG33, but I think that the oil pump arrangement on the 1.8L is pretty much the same. I found it easier to remove the whole pump and then get the seal out than, as was suggested to me, remove the seal while the pump was in place.

If the oil pump is the same on the 1.8L, then you'll need to get some RTG to seal the pump back up when you reinstall. Also, get the seal from a shop now so you can go to Lowe's and get a piece of PVC to push the seal in place. I got, I think, an adapter piece of some kind. It cost 25 cents.

Take your time and you'll be fine. I have a GL (same thing, but older and carbureted) behind my garage. What a pain in the ass to work on. It 's a tangled mess of vacuum hoses - half of which seem to go from one side of the carburetor to the other. I imagine that yours is FI, which helps clean that up.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-08-2002, 01:32 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Hi Bobby,got your mail but I will just reply here.Like Ben and Nick have already said,it could be the front seal or the oil pump.I sold my Loyale before I got around to putting on the timing belts I bought for it,so I can't really say how hard it would be.I do know that it is a pretty tight fit in front of the engine.
If you have the tools and time,a manual would also help,you should be able to fix it.
I think you made the right choice on the brat.It is ashame that the rust was bad underneath
Maybe Ben would want to buy it for parts
Old 08-08-2002, 02:12 PM

Brat????

What's this about a brat? You found one in the region? They are testy little creatures. I just stopped at one at a dealer in Royerstown last night. He has it on autotrader for $1495. The paint was great (real ugly green w these stripes that look like they belong on a custom astrovan but the entire rear wheel well on the passanger side was completely rusted out and I mean gone! Still had the original carpet in it, the interior was really nice (only a cut or two in the seats) and the rear seats were there. The hood was screwed up and wouldn't open. I don't think I'd pay $200 for it unless the engine runs like a champ.

I do have my eye on a little blue EA81 fwd wagon. That is unless this SVX here at the auction sells for a steal tomorrow (i.e. under $4k)
Old 08-08-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm just sayin'..........

Bob,

Like the pic? It's the very first picture that I have of belle and I just figured out how to shrink it today. The Loyale was purchased at the auction in Ephrata. The lady that owned it lived in a retirement community and never drove it in rain or snow. The thing was garage kept. Everything works and it's in great overall condition (oil leak aside). The valves also make a bit of a racket until it warms up. That aside it runs and looks great.

Mike,
I have a couple of Chilton manuals from my 92 SVX which also cover the car so maybe that will help. But again, thanks for taking the time out to look at the brat for me.

Where Loyales pretty reliable cars?(I know...nice time to ask that question)....lol

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 08-08-2002, 04:55 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: Brat????

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
What's this about a brat? You found one in the region? They are testy little creatures. I just stopped at one at a dealer in Royerstown last night.
Ben, I found a 86 here in Lebanon, at a small car lot.It has some rust issues but seemed to run well.They want $650 for it.
I took some pictures of it that can be found in my locker.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
Where Loyales pretty reliable cars?(I know...nice time to ask that question)....lol
Bobby, sounds like you got a good deal.The one I used to have had 145k on it. It was a great car.
If yours sounds like a lifter is tapping,it might be in need of an oil pump.It seems that is a common problem with the 1.8 engines.Mine did it occasionally.It is not a pressure problem,it is a problem with the volume of oil it pumps.
My friend at CVM says it can be fixed by just replacing a small seal in the pump.
I have read on the net that this sometimes this works sometimes not. I have one of the seals in question if you think that might be the problem.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:38 PM
"high" in Colorado

Thumbs up Loyale....

I just recently sold a 91 Loyale wagon, 5spd, spfi, push button 4wd, 150k. The car was in ex. cond and very well maintained. Sold it for $2700. You got a great buy!

It was a very good car, never let me down. A testament to Subaru's dependability.....and function before form.
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 08-08-2002, 09:50 PM

Leaker Loyale

Bobby

Chilton's isn't the best of the manuals for the older ones. I do have 2 Clymer's I think your more than welcome to the later one as its better for the EA82 (which your engine is). The best book I've come across is the How to Keep Subies Alive. I have it but mine is a 84 edition. Its a great way to learn about the stuff and I'd lend it to ya if you'd like. About your noise. Change the oil with a good quality 10w40 or so. I use Castrol GTX in my brat and a Purcolator filter (these two help with those issues so long as it isn't a oil pressure issue). You also might want to start with a can of risonline additive for the first change but don't use it more than once or twice in the oil (most isuzus need it for their valve noise). That should help a bit as long as it isn't a oil pump/pressure issue.

I have a great pic from the trip to Indi of you and belle. Came out real nice. I'll email it to ya (along with a nice suprise as soon as I get my scanner working again). As for reliability. The loyale is the Gl which built subaru in america. No its not as reliable as a 2002 Honda but for its era its pretty much bullet proof. A few oil leaks and head gasket issues if you overheat it and thats pretty much it. Is it stick or auto?

Mike,
Who do ya know at CVM? My cars going back. Its still making a tranny thud a few seconds after I stop in traffic (like the pressure is letting out). Never did it before my duty sol. C fix. Besides, it needs inspected and washed. hee hee.
Old 08-09-2002, 07:55 AM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: Leaker Loyale

Quote:

Mike,
Who do ya know at CVM? My cars going back. Its still making a tranny thud a few seconds after I stop in traffic (like the pressure is letting out). Never did it before my duty sol. C fix. Besides, it needs inspected and washed. hee hee.
I have a friend that used to work in the parts dept. when everything was in the same building.He worked more on the BMW side of things though. He has now moved to the new upscale BMW only dealer.Really nice place.Stop in and take a look.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:53 AM

CVM BMW

Yeah that new building is beautiful. Is the parts guy named Ben? I once got a 740i as a loaner car from there. Hee hee. That was a lot of fun. I love the look and feel of BMWs I just can't stand 95% of the BMW owners. I do miss seeing the new ones when I drop my car off though. Why they needed to adopt VW is beyond me?
Old 08-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Re: CVM BMW

Quote:
Yeah that new building is beautiful. Is the parts guy named Ben? I once got a 740i as a loaner car from there. Hee hee. That was a lot of fun. I love the look and feel of BMWs I just can't stand 95% of the BMW owners. I do miss seeing the new ones when I drop my car off though. Why they needed to adopt VW is beyond me?
The guy I know is Brian.I really like some of the BMW's also.Especially the M3 coupe,very cool car.As far as I know they always sold VW's.
If it means anything, my friend say's that they sell way more VW parts than they sell parts for Subaru's.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:02 PM

CVM and VWs

Don't remember getting parts from a Brian but I'm sure I must've at some point. As for VW no, they picked up VW about 7 years ago or so when they bought Varsity VW of Carlisle. Not suprised they sell a ton of VW parts w/ Autohaus of Hbg as their only
"competition" plus the fact that everything on a VW is designed to break in 3 years it seems (at least their parts are dirt cheap- that S. American labor force pays off in that end of things). My favorite Bimmer would by far have to be the 635csi or possibly the 850i. I'm kinda partial to the big boys. I've been toying around an old 635csi along with another SVX, Triumph Spitfire/ TR7 or maybe a new Triumph Bonneville for a spell now. Can't make up my mind but looked at a great (well fixer-upper) house on Willow Street last night. The garage/barn was a good 2 stories and would be the perfect haven for a broken SVX haven. I'm sure my wife saw things differently though.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:01 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
My little red wagon leaks more oil than the valdez but I know if I ever fix the leaks then the underbody will dry out and the NY road salt will have a nice clean route to rusting it even more. Mostly valve cover gasket leaks with a little from the front main seal.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.