IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Rear Ended: SVX sandwiched

omfg! asshole drivers...

Sorry about your SVX... I was ****ty about my accident earlier this year (rear ended) but this would have made me throw up on scene in disgust, I'm serious.

I'm so sorry... I hope you're able to find yourself another SVX that will make you happy again. Take your time with the insurance... them ****ers are always ready to settle too quick and too cheap. Mine went on for almost a month before I settled with what I felt was reasonable reimbursement.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

sorry to hear man. On a good note I just found a reasonably priced one outside Allentown PA if you want another Claret. Let me know if you want more info.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Sorry to read and see pics on this Trevor. Your car was one of the jewels of the Network, very nice motor.

+3, I think you are totalled, too much panel damage.
Get yourself a nice pearlie or a rare blue one.

What is that truck? A Silverado? Probably over two tonnes and Neanderthal brakes. I would be very cross if he was my friend.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 10-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Sorry to read and see pics on this Trevor. Your car was one of the jewels of the Network, very nice motor.

+3, I think you are totalled, too much panel damage.
Get yourself a nice pearlie or a rare blue one.

What is that truck? A Silverado? Probably over two tonnes and Neanderthal brakes. I would be very cross if he was my friend.

Joe
Yeah, probably all around drums :s ...
Sad to see another one damaged
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 10-27-2009, 08:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

You've got my sympathies man. I see alot people explain away their own stupidity/childish driving after they get in accidents with the SVX and trash them. Myself included. Ya get what ya deserve, ya know?

(my first SVX died on its roof due to less then defensive driving on compact snow. I wouldnt say I was driving stupid or childishly on THIS unfortunate occassion, but I was certainly overconfident)

When you lose something this way, being smashed in the rear by a stupid truck. its just a really sad and unfortunate event. 1 more SVX bites the dust. Good luck with the insurance company, and I hope you find your way into another SVX some time.

James
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 AM

Wow, I just got through a very similar accident in my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. My car was VERY nearly totalled. I was told by the repair facility if the rear-enders insurance was anythign other than State Farm it most likely would have been. The first repair place said totalled for sure, so I took it else-where. $6000 in repair for less damage than what you have, although my trunk was more squished causing trunk underbody dmg that is a labor intensive repair. If they had noticed that the seat was bent on the first go around, it would have pushed it over the edge. I was very lucky to get through with my car back and repaired.

I wish you luck, and hope yours, by some miracle, isn't totaled.

If you can, get the estimate done by a repair facility affiliated with the insurance company. They want to get money for the repairs, so they may low-ball a bit/work with the ins company to NOT total it.

That the sad thing about driving old cars, they are very VERY low value, and so collision repairs are almost non-existant. Thats why my SVX has built up so many dents over the years. That and it was hit while parked multiple times so claims would have been on my deductible.

My first Subaru, 1997 LSi #004 - SOLD!
Currently driving: 2002 Honda Insight, > 60MPG!
Old 10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

It was typical this happened to me; I had just bought a new set of wheels and tires, just removed, repainted, and re-installed my intake manifold, just got the car back from the dealership less than two weeks ago after having the climate control head unit replaced, just put on a new set of wipers, and finally, in all of my lifetime of owning the car, got the winter wiper switch working...

grand total of around $200

not to mention the sentimental aspect from having everything on the car working again.

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 10-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Man, that sucks.

Like I said... I know of a claret that all of your parts will cross over to. It is in my garage.

Climate control unit and winter wiper switch works... new wipers on newly re-furbished wiper arms, a fresh oil change, runs and drives great... The little left that it really needs is probably still quite good on your car, like the driver's seat. Most of what my car needs is in the mail, on it's way, or ready to go...

I even got the 5-prong relay fix done, and the car so-far seems to be back to stone-reliable starting.

You'd need to swap your likely better driver's seat in, and maybe the sunroof module, if your car has a working one.

Mine works, (with a bit of a light pressure push to lift it out of the roof) except for one absolutely tiny piece of plastic in the aluminum track on the driver's side that gets mis-aligned and jammed when sliding the roof forward to close. even a little bead of epoxy to re-shape that little leader piece would probably solve it. Otherwise, a sunroof swap is half a dozen bolts, probably easier than pulling down the headliner.

I'd go for another SVX of another color (I am not that firmly committed to Claret, and would take just about any other color, but would LOVE a Laguna Blue...) in complete daily-driver condition, if another claret would make it easy for you to swap parts onto a street-able car, and keep rollin'. Your intake manifold and wheels, ECUTune, and everything would swap right over.

The car is from California, and doesn't seem to have any rust obviously present. It has been repaired itself from a previous damage event, unknown how long ago, but drives straight and true. Supposedly the previous owner put a lot of $$$ into the drivetrain before letting it go. It does have a repair certificate in the glovebox for the transmission. Roo might know more about that, as he knew the car better before I bought it in June.

The only incomplete thing that can't be transferred from one car to the other, would be the roof that needs to be sanded, and re-cleared, and a chip out of the leading edge of the spoiler needs to be filled and painted. My brother in law does that for a living in Fremont, NE... I could get a quote to have it done properly, if it comes to that. I planned on doing that at some point, anyway...

I just want to stay in a good, daily-driver grade LS-L/LSi SVX... that is my only price. (and preferably not have to go half way across the US to get it...) I don't want to get rid of my car... but if playing musical chairs a bit will help you, I'd be happy to help a mid-west SVXer or two. (if someone around is selling an SVX of a different color around here.)

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 10-27-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

update on this..

The SVX was taken to a nearby body shop for a repair estimate, which as you all well know, resulted in "yeah, the car is totalled"

The insurance company's "total loss" division was in the meantime still trying to do their own research on the car's value. I was told they were sitting around asking "this is a subaru what?

So finally today, insurance reported back to us saying they would offer a total of $2,700; KBB value...

i wont settle.

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 11-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Man sorry about your accident, sure is sad to loose another SVX.

$2700 only? Crap, don't settle for that...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

How many miles are on your car?
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I assume the repair bill would be near or over $3000 at any reputable shop. Once the repair reaches 70% of the car's ACV it will usually total it. If you are able to provide recent documentation of the work you did on the car to supplement the value, they will take it into consideration, but considering the extent of this damage, I would say that the car is a total loss.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Once the repair reaches 70% of the car's ACV it will usually total it.
This is not true anymore Mike, at least not all insurance companies. When mine was hit, the ACV was $2900 and the written estimate was for $2780 and the actual bill came to $2860. The Insurance adjuster informed me that they would go up to the ACV.
I was amazed as I had always assumed a percentage limit as well. Now, it may be different since my car was parked when hit-idk. I also can't think of what insurance company my friend had and I'm too lazy to go look at the paperwork but just letting you know its not how everyone does it anymore.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
The reason i'm asking this is because their payout number doesn't seem that out of line to me. I think you could get a reasonably nice replacement SVX for that.
2001 Audi S8
Old 11-04-2009, 12:48 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
little over 178k

1987 BMW 325is