Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 AM

timing belt replacement

Left posting under babble a couple of days ago....in short, first time replacement and see belt, rollers, tensioner and water pump combo on ebay...aftermarket, but OK??? Opinions?? Thanks, MK
Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 AM
There is no charge for Awesome

Send a message via AIM to Chuckles
Registered SVX
Re: timing belt replacement

Yeah those are fine. I used them, Heck, Tom sold them to me. The belt should come with the white marks already on there "DON"T RUB THEM OFF". Other than that, you just pull off all the goodies on the front of your engine, and take off that timing cover (There are like 5 how-to's) it take a few hours to a day, depending on how stuck things are.

92' Subaru SVX LS-L Claret http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3214312 for the pics and stuff
Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
Yeah those are fine. I used them, Heck, Tom sold them to me. The belt should come with the white marks already on there "DON"T RUB THEM OFF". Other than that, you just pull off all the goodies on the front of your engine, and take off that timing cover (There are like 5 how-to's) it take a few hours to a day, depending on how stuck things are.
The white marks dont matter, I never used them to reset my timing. What really matters is that the timing marks are all set properly and stay aligned as the tensioner is applied. Depending on your cars age/mileage and finances, you should also do the waterpump, since you would be 85% the way to it, and then while its off you can flush the entire cooling system out with straight water.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:02 PM

be careful taking off the t-belt covers. The plastic housing for the nuts in the back can be brittle and break. J-B weld works wonders to resecure the nuts.

Also if you are doing the cam seals, one tip to remove the cam bolt is to wrap the old t-belt around the cam gear 2/3s of the way. Then wrap is around itself and underneath the cam gear towards the center of the engine. Loop the other end of the belt onto the crank gear and after a few turns it will be secure enough to break free.
see attached pic for reference.

Also if the cam bolt tight in there and you start stripping the bolt. You might want to consider taking a dremel and cutting the flange of the bolt off. The more of the bolts clamping surface you remove, the easier it is to remove the bolt. This is what happened to me when I tried to change the seals.

BW
Attached Images
File Type: bmp cam bolt.bmp (117.2 KB, 157 views)
Old 10-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

That's why I like the Subaru tool that holds the cam so you can undo the bolt, but they're freakin expensive. Same with the tool that holds the crank sprocket (Works great for tightening the bolt, makes sure it won't come out, and makes sure that aftermarket shops have a real fun time trying to get it off :P)

I need to do the T belt on mine, but in addition to that it needs all the shaft seals, the oil pump seal, cam cover seals, and spark plugs...
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 10-08-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondasucks View Post
That's why I like the Subaru tool that holds the cam so you can undo the bolt, but they're freakin expensive. Same with the tool that holds the crank sprocket (Works great for tightening the bolt, makes sure it won't come out, and makes sure that aftermarket shops have a real fun time trying to get it off :P)

I need to do the T belt on mine, but in addition to that it needs all the shaft seals, the oil pump seal, cam cover seals, and spark plugs...

Yeah, but you have access to all of those sweet tools. The rest of us
have to make due w/what we can figure out

ohh.. and I think I also need to do the t-belts soon.

80k? is the recommended mileage right?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

60K, but ive seen subarus that have gone over 3 times that on the factory belt, so I wouldnt stress over it, just do it when you have time.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.