Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 AM

Registered SVX
Angry Help, separate issues or the same??

Hi all,

I just had my timing belt replaced by a mechanic and now I've developed a strange noise coming from the belt/alternator/PS pump area. The noise sounds like a mixture between a rattling shield, bad bearing and belt slap. Is there something in the belt replacement process that could be causing this. This did not occur before the belt replacement.

The other issue (that may be related) is that periodically my warning indicators for battery, brake, stop, and abs come on. This did occur periodically before the belt replacement.

Are they related? How do I fix this??

Thanks,

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
1993 968 Coupe 6-speed, 80,xxx miles black, H&R springs
Old 09-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Re: Help, separate issues or the same??

Check the condition of the crank pulley. Look for a "wobble," and/or rubber protruding from between the inner and outer sections.

dcb
Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM

Registered SVX

Upon removing the shroud and doing a closer flashlight inspection, I noticed that the area around and under the PS reservoir is wet. PS fill level is below the cold range and barley reading on the dipstick. Will refill and check again for sound and source of leaks.
Could this be the source of my grinding sound?

Thanks

1995 SVX-L AWD, green, 98,xxx miles, ECUtune 1.5, mazda RX-8 wheels with subie center caps, stebro muffler, resonator delete, koni inserts, perrin crank pulley, hella 500 off-road lights, power-slot rotors and .....
Old 09-28-2009, 04:23 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
Does it only make noise when the wheel is turned?

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
Check the condition of the crank pulley. Look for a "wobble," and/or rubber protruding from between the inner and outer sections.

dcb
crank pulley could even not be re-installed properly or torqued properly.

Keith

no one would ever have a reason to remove a cam shaft pulley to replace a timing belt... would they?
Old 09-28-2009, 06:56 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamianut View Post
Upon removing the shroud and doing a closer flashlight inspection, I noticed that the area around and under the PS reservoir is wet. PS fill level is below the cold range and barley reading on the dipstick. Will refill and check again for sound and source of leaks.

Thanks
Only if the noise occurs when turning the wheel. The leaking PS may well be an easy O-ring replacement fix to do in the mean time. Look in How-To's under Steering. The PS pump running dry usually means a chattering sound that stops when you stop turning the wheel.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 09-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Now down to only ONE!

Mac-
It may be a loose (or slipping due to PS fluid) alternator belt or dying alternator if the dash warning lites are involved.

Glenn-
I met the new owner of the Anniv Edition that I looked at for you. He always wanted one since the debut in 92 and is excited to be driving an SVX.
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock
Old 09-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbsvx View Post
Mac-
Glenn-
I met the new owner of the Anniv Edition that I looked at for you. He always wanted one since the debut in 92 and is excited to be driving an SVX.
Hey Christian! I still managed to buy a rusty one!! Swapped all 4 corners of suspension (Koni), swaybars and links/bushings from my '93 last week. Feels like a new car!! I'm still holding a rearview mirror for you!!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 09-29-2009, 06:28 AM

Registered SVX

I topped off PS fluid- no dice. Seems like a much deeper grinding or slapping sound anyway. I did not notice any belts slapping/loose. But I'm glad I checked PS as I noticed the reservoir leak.

If charging system warning indicator can point to an alternator issue, I'll check that next, and then the crank pulley. It would seem that the noise is coming from the top of the belt system, but that can be hard to tell sometimes.

Is it common for all those indicators to come on together? Battery, stop lamp, brake and abs?

Oh, if it helps- mileage is 79,500.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:51 PM

Registered SVX

Diagnosis...crapped out alternator. Removed belt and noticed a rediculous amount of run-out in the pulley accompanied by a grind/squeek when spun by hand.

Any advice on where to get a new or reman. one for a good price?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Mac,

I may have one (OK, I have multiple alts not sure which or how many are good though). I'll try and get them tested tomorrow and ID a good one for you if you're interested.

Todd
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Now down to only ONE!

Mac- Glad you figured it out.

Glenn- Thanks. I lost my phone in the river, along with all my numbers. Please call me at 413.221.9669.
96 SVX Lsi #821, Bordeaux Pearl, 4.44 98 Legacy Trans, Trans Resistor Mod, Dakota Digital Trans Temp Gauge on A-Pillar Pod (awesome), B&M Trans Cooler in Driver's Wheel Well, External Spin-on Trans Filter, Synthetic Fluids in Trans and Diffs, 17x7.5 Primax 695 Rims, Alcyone Rear Panel, Svxfiles' 5000 k HIDs, Clear Headlights, "BOXER6" License Plate, Hard Wired Radar Detector, 94 Power Up Window Switch, Motor Resealed, new Coil Packs, new NGK Iridium Plugs, PVC Valve, Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Gloss Black Calipers and Rotors, EBC Greenstuff Pads, SS Brake Lines, Superb TomsSVX Cat Back Exhaust... SS Resonator, Flowmaster 80 Muffler, Magnaflow Quad SS Tips, Poly Swaybar Bushings, Endlink Mod, Rear Subframe Bushing Mod. Feels great and sounds even better. Thanks to AWD, LLC.

2003 Outback llb H6 3.0 Titanium Pearl- "BOXERR" Mostly Stock

1995 Bmw 325i Conv. Calypso Red- "RBOXER" Modest Mods

2004 Sea Doo Sportster 4-tec 15' Jet Boat, 1494cc, 1454#, 155 HP= <10#/HP Stock