How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-21-2002, 08:48 AM
Ricb

Question oppinion on fwd svx

Hello, I am new to this forum. I don't own an SVX, but I am looking at buying one at a local dealership in town. I took it for a spin and fell in love with it. Even though its not as quick as I thought it would be, I think it will be a nice daily driver. I have a couple questions though. Are the fwds prone to the same tranny problems as the awds? The car I'm looking at is fwd, I know most of these cars are awds, is there any reason to avoid buying a fwd? I really want to buy this car, but I've read about everyone's tranny problems, which kind of scares me.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:51 AM
gcookaustin

If I could choose for my SVX to be FWD or AWD right now, I would go for FWD. I haven't ever really had a need for the AWD, and it adds weight and would just be an extra repair if it broke. The FWD SVXs may not be as prone to tranny troubles as the AWD ones, but it still happens. I was paranoid too about the transmission when I first bought it but as long as you don't do stuff like floor it between gears or anything it should be fine. If you purchase it, buy a new internal transmission filter and change the transmission oil two or three times, or have it flushed, and clean off the magnet. My '92 AWD with 86000 on it had never had the transmission oil or filter changed or magnet cleaned, and hadn't had the external Filter Recall kit performed on it and it goes fine.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:31 PM
billisa

check it out

Has the transmission ever been serviced/upgraded/rebuilt? How many miles (sorry if you said already)? Is the dealer willing to let you have the car looked at by another mechanic? What about a warranty? How is the car shifting? Do the revs on the tack jump up between shifts? While the car may not be as quick as you'd imagine, it should still do 0-60 in about 7.0... Are you able to contact the previous owner? Are there service records on this car? You may indeed not have ANY trans problems at all, but it makes sense to thoroughly check things before buying. Good luck!
Old 07-21-2002, 02:59 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
OK. I owned FWD as well as AWD SVXes. I can easily answer that tranny issue exist on both FWD as well as AWD SVXes. As for the drive and feel of power, AWD shows more for the money. I owned a 94L (FWD) and in my fleet, I own a 94 Lsi (AWD). I can tell without a doubt that AWD is a better car and a better bang. Is it red? What does that car look like? If it has a gray cloth interior with black trimming (instead of gray) avoid it at all costs. There should be only one and I painted it black.

Apart from that, good luck.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-24-2002, 01:33 PM
Ricb

Hey, thanks for the input guys. By the way its a 94, dark green, with what feels like suade seets. It has 108,000 miles on it, but it seems like it runs excellent. The problems that I noticed, is that the radio doesn't work, which is ok because I intended on replacing it anyway, and that there is some kind of vibration in the drivers side rear. I think that the 18 in Konig villian is slightly bent. Overall its in pretty good condition. I talked the dealer down to 4700.00, and 750 for a 24k mile 2yr drivetrain warranty.
Does that sound like a decent deal?
Old 07-24-2002, 02:26 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Thumbs up

I think it is a decent deal if you are going to get the warranty with it. Enjoy the SVX. Another SVX in the midwest for a meet.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!