Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-06-2009, 08:59 AM

Re: fans not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famouspork View Post
they actually took 12v power from the radio circuit and powered the fan system with it.
Actually, it is running perfectly fine since friday.
So you just kinda have them hot wired in the car...Not actually working like it`s supposed too????When do they come on,as soon as you start up???Or do they just come when they`re suppoed too....
Old 04-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
they actually took 12v power from the radio circuit and powered the fan system with it.
Why would they do that when the power for everything is 1/2 inch from the fan relays

A radio circuit will not support the fan motors.

They have two 25 amp fuses... 1 on each.

This is a really funny story someone is being fed.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 04-06-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Why would they do that when the power for everything is 1/2 inch from the fan relays

A radio circuit will not support the fan motors.

They have two 25 amp fuses... on each.

This is a really funny story someone is being fed.

Keith
Like I said ,I fixed mine by just a T/stat. replacement from a el cheapo, to the factory one...First time it hapened was with the original t/stat(12 years old), repl. w/ cheapo, then put a factory one back in....Now My fans come on when they are supposed too....
He might have found an easy fix for the problem....
Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartracing View Post
Like I said ,I fixed mine by just a T/stat. replacement from a el cheapo, to the factory one...First time it hapened was with the original t/stat(12 years old), repl. w/ cheapo, then put a factory one back in....Now My fans come on when they are supposed too....
Old 04-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The fan control is far too complicated to find an easy fix for the problem. Everything has to be correct or they will not work correctly... everything.

None of us will ever know what the real story is on this but my bet is it was as simple as replacing a fuse.

A clown stupid enough to hook this complicated, high current system up to a radio fuse, would also be to stupid to discover how to do it that way.

Keith
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Ok, guys.
Well first of all, when it comes to electrical circuitry, I am really ignorant.
But in general mechanics, I don't get fooled too easily.
What happened here is the fans would not come on at all.
If it was the t-stat, the temp would go up no matter what.
Instead, it would go up only when I got stuck in traffic for about 5-10 minutes.This is when I noticed the fans would not start.So I checked the stupid fuses everyone seems to think were the problem.They were fine.So I checked to see if any of the relays were corroded,and they were not.
Next step was to verify if any kind of voltage was going to the fusebox.there was none. That's it.
All the guy did was to supply power to the fuse box by using a 12v circuit from the same source used for the radio (as far as I know).All is working like stock, and it has not overheated since, and the fans start around halfway through the gauge.
If it was as stupid as a fuse problem, maybe I would not have registered on this website. But since you guys are so helpful, I'm going to stick around.
Please, do not underestimate newbies.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Ok, guys.
Well first of all, when it comes to electrical circuitry, I am really ignorant.
But in general mechanics, I don't get fooled too easily.
What happened here is the fans would not come on at all.
Instead, it would go up only when I got stuck in traffic for about 5-10 minutes.This is when I noticed the fans would not start.So I checked the stupid fuses everyone seems to think were the problem.They were fine.So I checked to see if any of the relays were corroded,and they were not.
Next step was to verify if any kind of voltage was going to the fusebox.there was none. That's it.
All the guy did was to supply power to the fuse box by using a 12v circuit from the same source used for the radio (as far as I know).All is working like stock, and it has not overheated since, and the fans start around halfway through the gauge.
If it was as stupid as a fuse problem, maybe I would not have registered on this website. But since you guys are so helpful, I'm going to stick around.
Please, do not underestimate newbies.
I was just making a cheap($$), suggestion to try this because mine would show the EXACT same symptoms....And it fixed mine....Temp gauge would go up and would only over heat in trafficl too, bottom of the rad. never got hot....My idea might be as much of a joke as yours is....
As long as your happy with it.....
Old 04-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yes the engine will run, but it will not run as efficiently as it should. The complicated fan control system was not included by the manufactures for no reason.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ok, guys.

All the guy did was to supply power to the fuse box by using a 12v circuit from the same source used for the radio (as far as I know).
\

The temperature sensor is not the "t-stat".

If there was no voltage supplied to, the fuse box, why were all the items supplied via that box, not out action?

If the radio circuit was in fact used to supply a fuse box, surely the associated fuse would be likely to open at some point, due to an overload.

A visual check for corrosion, will not verify that a relay is working correctly. This could well be likely cause of the problem, which has now been bypassed.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 04-06-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Addition of point.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
\

The temperature sensor is not the "t-stat".

If there was no voltage supplied to, the fuse box, why were all the items supplied via that box, not out action?

If the radio circuit was in fact used to supply a fuse box, surely the associated fuse would be likely to open at some point, due to an overload.

A visual check for corrosion, will not verify that a relay is working correctly. This could well be likely cause of the problem, which has now been bypassed.
Hey Trevor,
I know the thermostat isn`t the temp sensor,I checked the temp sensor and it was within the values in the repair manual...That was my original thought for the problem... Might have just been a fluke that the themostat was what fixed my problem....The whole fuse box thing has got me befuddled......
Thanks for any info....
Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hey Trevor,
I know the thermostat isn`t the temp sensor,I checked the temp sensor and it was within the values in the repair manual...That was my original thought for the problem... Might have just been a fluke that the themostat was what fixed my problem....The whole fuse box thing has got me befuddled......
Thanks for any info....
Which fuse box was not getting voltage? If this was the problem surely there should be no difficulty in detecting why, as major circuit would be involved. It is difficult to physically trouble shoot from the other side of the world.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Which fuse box was not getting voltage? If this was the problem surely there should be no difficulty in detecting why, as major circuit would be involved. It is difficult to physically trouble shoot from the other side of the world.
Don`t know which fuse box,you`ll have to get with the thread starter on that one....
Yes it is hard to trouble shoot from WAAAAAY over there,lol.....
Old 04-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Don`t know which fuse box,you`ll have to get with the thread starter on that one....
Yes it is hard to trouble shoot from WAAAAAY over there,lol.....
It sometimes is hard to troubleshoot these contraptions when we are in our garage and the car is sitting right there

I have a bald spot from scratching my head over some of the things that have confronted me... at least I think that is what it is from.

Any positive solution and we should count our blessings

Keith
Old 04-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
It sometimes is hard to troubleshoot these contraptions when we are in our garage and the car is sitting right there

I have a bald spot from scratching my head over some of the things that have confronted me... at least I think that is what it is from.

Any positive solution and we should count our blessings

Keith
Well said, right on.....
Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well said, right on.....
Without being nasty, I think you should scratch a bit harder and make sure there is something in there. Provided you find something, give it a prod.