Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Re: Christmas Dash Lights, but no Electrical Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
The dash lights coming on happened in my '97. When I turned the car on they stayed on for a while, then faded, however, when I stepped on the brake they came back on. The lights that I remember coming on were: battery, ABS and about 4 more in the middle (sorry, without a picture of the dash lights I can't remember them all). My mechanic has the car now, and I'm sure I'll be replacing the alternator. I thought I'd add my symptoms since they were different from everyone elses. My mechanic did say the voltage was low.
I had been getting an intermittent ABS error code #2. Just today, when I had to brake harder than usual, many other lights (pwr-steering, battery, stop lamp, brake, and ABS) lit up on the dash. Those lights would fade away until I pressed the brake pedal then they would dimly light up again. I noticed no dip in engine revs while pressing the brake in park.
I can't help but wonder if these the lights are related in some way to my ABS malfunctioning? I'm going to pull the ABS fuse tonight and see if that makes a difference. If not, I suppose the alternator will need to be replaced.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Christmas Dash Lights, but no Electrical Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxo View Post
I had been getting an intermittent ABS error code #2. Just today, when I had to brake harder than usual, many other lights (pwr-steering, battery, stop lamp, brake, and ABS) lit up on the dash. Those lights would fade away until I pressed the brake pedal then they would dimly light up again. I noticed no dip in engine revs while pressing the brake in park.
I can't help but wonder if these the lights are related in some way to my ABS malfunctioning? I'm going to pull the ABS fuse tonight and see if that makes a difference. If not, I suppose the alternator will need to be replaced.
Thanks a lot for the detailed and specific information.

As I have previously pointed out, an alternator with a faulty rectifier network can impose alternating current on the normally DC system. The reverse voltage will then bypass diodes and it is now evident, fault light trigger circuits comprising solid state components.

I can only assume that you have both an ABS fault indication as well as a faulty alternator. Please report back on what you find. Still thicker is our plot.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!