SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks
Hey Sexys Girl

Im Dennis, you messaged me on myspace. Ill post your questions here, as others will be able to help you out more so than I can.

Just bought the car.
Only driven a few times in town and then yesterday to Denver and back(70 miles)
Never had a Subaru.

So gas gauge, cruise, check engine-only when heated up, no other effects noted., funny fuel thing.......

When I bought the car the guy said he just took it on a trade and didn't give me any info on the previous owner. He said that the cluster was after market and that was why the gas gauge didn't work. There's a switch installed just to the right of the steering wheel with blue/green.
Here's a couple pics:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/HPIM2421.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...4/HPIM2420.jpg

Gas gauge didn't work at all, then I put some gas in it and it kinda registered then I filled it up and it TRIED to register. But when I got on it(65-75mph), it dropped back down to about 1/4 of a tank and then even to empty when I just put gas in it. Then I think it's back to about reading right.

Cruise light comes on when you push the button on the dash but it doesn't engage when you push the lever on the steering column...if cluster was replaced, did they disconnect it cuz they didn't use it or is something broken?

Check engine light comes on but only when the engine is heated up and doesn't seem to have any other effects. Wondering if the O2 sensors are reading funny because the muffler has been removed??? Sorry forgot to get a pic.....
Or is there some kind of performance thing that could have been added causing the check engine light to come on?

Funny fuel thing..... the closest I can describe how it does is it feels like the transmission is slipping gears, but it's obviously a fuel issue and not in the transmission. Almost as if it's a bad idle speed sensor, but it only kinda does it when it's at idle, but not really, it just idles kinda high. Mostly does it while in motion. Again, is there an after market something that could be causing this?

Also wondering how to check the codes????

My man checked the whole car out and every thing looks well taken care of and maintained, has to be some kind of modifications???

To start off, those arent aftermarket gauges, just a gauge overlay kit off of ebay. The gauges themselves are stock ones.

Switch - I dont have any idea what its hooked up too, lol. Could it be the lights for the gauge overlay?

Gas gauge question - My gauge doesnt work too well either, and I know others on here whose dont work period. From what Ive gathered, its the fuel sender in the tank thats the problem. It gets rusty after being in gas for 17 years. It can be replaced, but it will just get rusty again eventually. I just use the gas light and watch my mileage. Normally, I can get 300 miles on a tank of gas, then fill up. I still have a few gallons left, but dont want to push it.

Cruise control - Could be that the cable isnt connected at the tb. Might want to check that out first. Then we can go from there.

Check engine light - There is a way to check the codes. Your car is OBD1, so somewhere such as autozone isnt able to help you out. Here is the how to on checking the codes yourself. Its pretty easy

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/33055.pdf

And here is the list of codes

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/14381.bmp

Funny fuel thing - Im not sure about that one. Maybe someone here can be a little more help.

Welcome to the site, and hope to see ya around!

-Dennis

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: Hey Sexys Girl

Ok damn it... I saw the title of this thread and thought that there'd be a hot girl in here... If there is a hot girl having a problem with her SVX, let her show herself and allow the leg humping to begin

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
Ok damn it... I saw the title of this thread and thought that there'd be a hot girl in here... If there is a hot girl having a problem with her SVX, let her show herself and allow the leg humping to begin

~ Chris
Chris, you will never have to worry about mad cow disease.............

'cause you are a PIG!

(I use that one on Tom all the time. )

To Sexys Girl:

These cars have a ****load of sensors that all do wierd things. Sometimes you will get a reading for a bad sensor that is not really related to the problem at all -- we only find out about them through trial and error. For example, a bad cam angle sensor reading plus a bad crank angle sensor reading MAY actually be a bad engine temp sensor.

If you're not already a member, please sign up and post your problems here. We have (combined) HUNDREDS of years of experience on these cars, if you add together all the members, and ALL are willing to offer their advice, opinions and expertise. Also, let us know where you are located and maybe you can find a local member who can recommend a local mechanic who is knowledgeable about these cars. They are few and far between, but if you find one, they are worth their weight in gold!

BTW, my fuel gauge is screwy too - it reads fine for the first 50 miles or so after I fill up, then it drops to BELOW empty and stays that way until about 120 miles (I use the trip odometer to judge how much gas I have left). Then it MAY return to normal, occasionally not. I just wait until the low fuel light comes on, it's usually around 300 miles. Then I fill it and reset the trip odometer again. It works until I get a chance to replace the sending unit (or the whole gas tank, which may be easier ).

Good luck and enjoy your car!

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint

Last edited by green_eyed_lady; 08-19-2008 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady View Post

BTW, my fuel gauge is screwy too - it reads fine for the first 50 miles or so after I fill up, then it drops to BELOW empty and stays that way until about 120 miles (I use the trip odometer to judge how much gas I have left). Then it MAY return to normal, occasionally not. I just wait until the low fuel light comes on, it's usually around 300 miles. Then I fill it and reset the trip odometer again. It works until I get a chance to replace the sending unit (or the whole gas tank, which may be easier ).

Good luck and enjoy your car!
Me three! After about 50 miles and I come to a stop, the fuel gauge goes below E.

When I start driving again it will go back up and then when I come to a stop will go back down. After a few more miles it will stabilize.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Siren of the Pleiades

Send a message via AIM to SUBBYRU89

I have those exact gauges. The switch is to turn your dash lights either blue or green and the knob is for brightness...my green bulb burnt out so it's always blue.

As far as the gas gauge...that seems to be a common thing (mine work perfectly) I've learned by driving Hocrest's SVX to never rely on the gauge, but to watch the mileage. His car will go roughly 300 miles per tank and his needle will always go way below the E. That's all I know. Sorry I can't give any help to fixing the problem.
'89 XT6 Pearl White~JuiceBox (Project)
'92 SVX BoverP~Peej (Down for the moment) 1st Stage II trans installed by AWD,15 & 20 min mods,...
Old 08-19-2008, 04:43 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian

From the title I thought you had the wrong forum!
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Im REALLY addicted! CANT STOP!

Send a message via MSN to mysvxrocks Send a message via Yahoo to mysvxrocks

She is a member, just doesnt have posting privileges yet

2006 Infra-Red Ford Focus ZX3 ~ 67k

No longer SVX'n, Ill always miss them!

1995 Polo Green LS-i ~ 95k
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~ 145k (04/91) #2231
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 PM

Thanks Everyone For your Posts!!!

And thank you Dennis for posting this for me.

I called the dealership today to ask about getting the info from the previous owner-he's apparently a truck driver and out on the road right now. He didn't happen to be a member in this forum...? I'm in Colorado Springs, and have a 1992 SVX Silver & Black....... Maybe I'll get lucky-huh? hehe

Any other suggestions for diagnosing these problems besides the pricy trip to the dealer?

Thanks Again All!!!

Sexy's Girl
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post

~ Chris
Hey green marine I just watched your youtube PRoN video. I liked it a lot. Here is the link if anyone else wants to see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulyyQ9ZUS8

Last edited by Ownbot; 08-19-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Winona is my yang.

that vid rules! ans SVX and An FF1 sweet!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

The deal with the fuel gauge is pretty easy to fix. My 90 Legacy does pretty much the same thing, except it shows full when you fill it. I'd check the fuel sending units, they are pretty easy to check if you have access to a digital ohm meter (~$20 at Sears) and some tools. You have to take the carpet out of the trunk and remove a couple of plates to get access to the top of the fuel tank, and then you can take the sending units out and check them, it's pretty easy. Most of the time they just get gunked up, and you can clean them off with some carburetor cleaner and they will work, but sometimes the actual resistor element is worn out, and in that case you will need a new sending unit.

I will have to look up the specs tomorrow at work, as well as the procedure for getting the sending units out, so that you can easier see how it's done, since for some reason I can't get to the repair manual online tonight

I was just in CO Springs a couple of weeks ago, I didn't see your car though lol... My SVX came from Colorado, the guy I bought it from used to live in La Junta.

As for the check engine light, with the ignition off, crawl under the dash and look for two green connectors that are not connected together. Near these will be two black connectors that are not connected, the black connectors are the "read memory" connectors, and the green ones are the check mode connectors. Plug the black connectors together and turn the key on (but don't start the engine), after a few moments your check engine light will begin to blink. A long blink is a 10, and a short blink is a 1, so for example for a Code 35, it would blink 3 long blinks, and 5 short ones. Write down what codes it blinks out and post them here and I will look them up for you.

If you don't get any codes, turn the key off, unplug the black connectors, and plug the green ones in and go drive the car. The check engine light will rapidy blink while you are driving, but that just means it is in check mode. Once you drive for a while (I'd suggest going on the freeway, or on a highway where you can keep moving for a while) and the car runs all it's tests, the check engine light will start blinking out codes once it detects the fault.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX

If the muffler's gone, was anything else done to the exhaust system? Modifications there may cause CEL to set off at higher speeds.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:31 AM

for cruise control - check that the hose is connected in engine bay. It is easily dislodged as it is near the tranny dip stick, the light on dash will light but system will not engage.

There should be a black round cylinder next to brake reservoir in middle of engine bay, hose attaches to end.

good luck
bruce
Old 08-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySVX View Post
If the muffler's gone, was anything else done to the exhaust system? Modifications there may cause CEL to set off at higher speeds.

I was just thinking the same thing, no muffer = increased exhaust flow, which may not let the oxygen sensors heat up enough to read properly, which would throw a code, especially if the rest of the exhaust is straight-piped (no cats)
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 08-21-2008, 09:00 PM

Thanks again everyone for your posts, we're trying to get in there by the end of the weekend with all of your awesome advise! So I'll keep you all updated!
I thought that that might be the problem with the CEL-the O2 just wasn't sure but it makes sense. They removed the muffler right after the cats and then Y'd straight out. I took it to a muffler shop and nothing else looks modified, they said they were going to have to retro fit a different muffler to replace it since these SVX's are sooo common that they have TONS of them available....LOL

If anyone else comes up with anything, that would be greatly appreciated! =)

Thanks again!
Sexy's Girl