IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2008, 06:25 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Blowing of 20AMP fuse for Cig Ligther

Did you check the wiring to the radio? Seeing you have an aftermarket radio there is a good chance the wires are pretty squished back there. It's easy to get a short when you jam that radio in there.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael View Post
Did you check the wiring to the radio? Seeing you have an aftermarket radio there is a good chance the wires are pretty squished back there. It's easy to get a short when you jam that radio in there.
Well I thought I did I will pull it again when I have more daylight / free time. First week of school so kinda hectic.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 09-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

O.k Damn it. I'm very frustrated. I have just checked all the radio wiring and to no avail. I am very very upset as I'm planning a trip mid october and A/c or heater will be nice. Its weird I put a new fuse in and the clock will light up fine for a few seconds 3 or 4 seconds and then Pop. Anyone please help I can't find this and its driving me nuts. Defog is very handy around here in the mornings.

Any advice? I have no problem taking the stereo out and no avial to anything I have tried.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 09-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

Are there any cuts or exposed wires coming from the cd player wires? Are the wires to the cig lighter tight? And are the fuses in the fuse box the correct amperage?
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 09-28-2008, 05:40 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlightningsvx View Post
Are there any cuts or exposed wires coming from the cd player wires? Are the wires to the cig lighter tight? And are the fuses in the fuse box the correct amperage?
I checked for cut and/or exposed wires none. Cig lighter was completely removed and I did some testing replacing it and yes. The fuses yes 20AMP for Cig Mirror and 10 AMP Clock and A/C etc.

Its driving me crazy .

Old 09-28-2008, 05:57 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I checked for cut and/or exposed wires none. Cig lighter was completely removed and I did some testing replacing it and yes. The fuses yes 20AMP for Cig Mirror and 10 AMP Clock and A/C etc.

Its driving me crazy .
So you checked the cig socket itself with a multimeter for resistance?
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
So you checked the cig socket itself with a multimeter for resistance?
I did the last time this was doing this but nothing was wrong that I can remember. I haven't lately as I completely removed/unplugged it. It solved the problem for about a day if I recall and issue arose again. I will test it tomorrow when it is light. I did check those cables for anything. This is driving me crazy . I don't know what is causing this.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:47 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

Here is some info that might help, good luck.

How to find the problem area - without wasting fuses.

First off, it's no use replacing fuses because they'll keep on blowing. Instead, make yourself a test light consisting of about fifteen feet of line cord (lamp cord). Enough to walk around the car with it. Put alligator clips on one end, and a stop/tail lamp on the other. Wire both filaments together to increase the current drain.

Clip the test lamp across the offending circuit (with the fuse removed).
Assuming that the tail/parking light circuit is the problem, turn on the parking lights. If the short is still there, the test light will glow brightly. Ohm's Law states that the sum of the voltage drops (R1, R2, etc.) must equal the supply voltage. Therefore, for all practical purposes, the test light will have 12 V across it under short circuit conditions.

Now go around the car and jiggle the wiring around while watching the test light. Pay particular attention to wiring connectors, light fittings, behind the dash connections, and places where wiring goes through sheet metal.
When you get to the intermittent, the test light will dim, indicating that R2 has become unshorted, and is doing its share of dropping the supply voltage.

Once you've located the physical area of the short, it's usually obvious where and what the problem is ( a loose wire from the instrument panel lights touching the sheet in my metal case). Or maybe a wire has come adrift in one of the tail lights. This method is completely safe, provided that you have insulated the test light properly.
*It can be used on all fused circuits. However, when checking head light circuit shorts, the test light will not dim as much when the short is located, because of the lower resistance of these units (Ohm's Law once again).

Other Uses
Checking for 12V power. Clip one end to chassis and touch the other end to the point where the power is supposed to be.
Checking Fuses. Turn the circuit on, with one clip grounded to the chassis, the test light should light when the other clip is touched to either end of the fuse holder ( with the fuse in place of course).
Static Ignition Timing. Clip one end to the chassis and the other to the wire going to the distributor (not for electronic ignition). Turn on the ignition. Push the car forward while in 4th gear. Bulb should light when the pointer on the front pulley indicates "F".
CAUTION: Remove the high voltage lead from the coil or distributor cap before doing this. Note: this is not the best use of the light because the wattage is higher than is should be for this purpose - But it works.
Trouble light. Need to change a wheel at midnight? Clip one side to the chassis and the other to a convenient 12V source and you're in business. Might keep you from getting run into as well?

Last edited by dannmarr; 09-29-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Thanks for the advice I will do that tomorrow I have some lamps. Speaking of which Stop Lamp keeps lighting up.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Figured I'd go ahead and post what OT found.

The short was coming from the sun visor's vanity lights. The wire was shorting in the and if left untreated could have caught fire eventually (Might post pic of wire). I would have never though to look there when this fuse was blowing. Thanks again tom!