Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 AM

Mild Turbo?

Im not sure if this has been posted already. Anyway here it is. I was thinking more along the lines of 8-10psi but this one states an increase of 80hp with just 4-5psi. and maybe a stage 2 chip.

http://www.svx-club.de/Technik/Turbo...r_den_svx.html
Old 02-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Graphic Artist

Seems legit, though I wonder how in the world they are seeing an 80 HP increase without an upgrade to the MAF/injectors.

If its true, 310 HP for 4500 bucks seems like a heck of a deal.

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-24-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextse7en View Post
Seems legit, though I wonder how in the world they are seeing an 80 HP increase without an upgrade to the MAF/injectors.

with that low of psi would you need to upgrade the maf and injectors?

what about going with the stage two chip?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 AM
Graphic Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
with that low of psi would you need to upgrade the maf and injectors?

what about going with the stage two chip?

Those would be good questions for OT, YT, or LAN to answer, among others.

Its all about maintaining an optimal air/fuel ratio, if the turbo is providing more air than the injectors can compensate for, you will end up with a lean condition.

I believe our injectors are good for about ~250hp safely.

The MAF is the other problem, it really can measure a heck of a lot more air than it is already. A maf bypass or a stage 2 with an Infinity maf may be your solution - but you would still have the injector issue.

-Patrick

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
The MAF is the other problem, it really can't measure a heck of a lot more air than it is already. A maf bypass or a stage 2 with an Infinity maf may be your solution - but you would still have the injector issue.

-Patrick
I think you typo'd

The MAF maxes out around 250 HP.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
Quote:

The math is not that easy.... The SVX is rated at 230 crank HP which generally equals 160wheel hp... The claim that the turbo kit adds 80hp means WHP as aftermarket upgrades and bolt ons are never rated in crank hp. That would mean that if their claims are true you would be looking at 240wheel hp. For $4500 there are far better ways to spend your money on an SVX.
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 02-24-2008, 01:21 PM

That kit is from Robert at Forced Air Technology http://www.forcedairtech.com/turbokits_svx.html. It came out around about 5+ years ago. cdigerlando and another member (svxtasy?) has that kit. It is not the an ideal turbocharger kit because of no intercooling, and the aforementioned limitations ie MAF, tuning/ECU, injectors.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission View Post
That kit is from Robert at Forced Air Technology http://www.forcedairtech.com/turbokits_svx.html. It came out around about 5+ years ago. cdigerlando and another member (svxtasy?) has that kit. It is not the an ideal turbocharger kit because of no intercooling, and the aforementioned limitations ie MAF, tuning/ECU, injectors.
svxtasy has a custom turbo. His up-pipe/down-pipe design is similar to FAT's though, but he's running a FMIC.

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 02-24-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 AM

Ok, so ideally which is the best way to go for a mild turbo application? I am only interested in picking up a few ponies like many others are without getting into a bunch of other stuff. I'd like to try and keep it as simple as I can. What is the best formula for this?

I wasn't interested in purchasing their kit. I was more interested in fabing my own. I still would like to keep some engine reliability. There are a number of salvage yards with turbo and supercharged cars in them. Saab's are pretty plentiful. I've seen a number of people on other forums (vw, toyota, etc) that like to use the Saab intercoolers. I know my car will never hit the 12sec bracket but it would be fun to be within the 14sec's if that is possible on a limited budget (I have 2 other projects).
Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Ok, so ideally which is the best way to go for a mild turbo application? I am only interested in picking up a few ponies like many others are without getting into a bunch of other stuff. I'd like to try and keep it as simple as I can. What is the best formula for this?

I wasn't interested in purchasing their kit. I was more interested in fabing my own. I still would like to keep some engine reliability. There are a number of salvage yards with turbo and supercharged cars in them. Saab's are pretty plentiful. I've seen a number of people on other forums (vw, toyota, etc) that like to use the Saab intercoolers. I know my car will never hit the 12sec bracket but it would be fun to be within the 14sec's if that is possible on a limited budget (I have 2 other projects).
I've seen criticisms on here that the Forcedair is a badly made kit. However the design has natural limitations because of lack of cooling, and possibly you should ask Chuck [cdigerlando] for an owner's view before condemning it.

One of my cars is supercharged and running 5 or 6 lbs with the current pulley. The engine is stock in terms of compression, pistons and injectors. There is an upgraded FPR to take care of the extra fuel. The standard MAF is running the air OK, but to go higher I would need the 300ZX TT maf.

The car has not been dyno'd yet, but I believe it is not making any more than about 260 hp in this trim. Now I know that using a SC there are parasitic pumping losses to take away from boost-produced horses, but just the same I find their claim to be producing 80 hp from the turbo at least misleading, and a bit outrageous really.

Having said the above, if Chuck says the kit works OK for him I might consider it. It should be paired with an intelligent water/meths injection system, like the latest Stis use. There is no easy room to be found for an intercooler, not cheaply or without major mods anyway. The injector kit just fits in there, and will allow you to run 10 lbs or more, and you should only need the rising rate FPR, larger injectors [oem give you about 300 in safety] and the Nissan MAF.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-25-2008, 04:25 AM

thanks for the info..... I'm more interested in fab'ing my own system. I just listed this one to find out how well that setup woud work. Plus it seemed kinda odd they got that much power for such a simple design.

I thought about using the same meth/h2o system that sicksub listed. I havent really looked into how to mount a intercooler. I know some folks like using the Saab ones due to space limits. I have an intercooler in my garage but it is way to big for the SVX.

Is the 300zv tt a dirrect swap?

With such little boost do the injectors need to be swapped?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:41 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
thanks for the info..... I'm more interested in fab'ing my own system. I just listed this one to find out how well that setup woud work. Plus it seemed kinda odd they got that much power for such a simple design.

I thought about using the same meth/h2o system that sicksub listed. I havent really looked into how to mount a intercooler. I know some folks like using the Saab ones due to space limits. I have an intercooler in my garage but it is way to big for the SVX.

Is the 300zv tt a dirrect swap?

With such little boost do the injectors need to be swapped?
I don't believe the quoted power output figures either.

The meth water injection will work OK, and will be far easier than fabbing any kind of intercooler.
The main problem you will face will be the size of the reservoir. If you have your boost set to high levels that would give detonation problems, if you run out of the liquid and continue to drive at high boost you will do damage.

At the very least you will need a warning light when there is no fluid, and for belt and braces it would be even better to be able to run at low boost when fluid is gone..

Yes, physically the same size and mounting points. The wiring connector has to be adapted.

Your standard injectors will work OK up to about 300hp crank. Beyond that you will be heading for 100% duty cycle which is not ideal. You should seriously consider reading up LAN's thread on supercharging in the Mod section. He faces up to and addresses the injector issue and the Maf issue in that thread. It will inform you.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-25-2008, 05:23 AM

Ok I will read up on it.. thanks.....

As for the 300Zx maf.... would I need a MAF translator or will it be fine on its own?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Ok I will read up on it.. thanks.....

As for the 300Zx maf.... would I need a MAF translator or will it be fine on its own?
This issue is treated in the supercharging thread also.

It's plug and play. It reads more air for the same voltage basically. The computer expects to see voltage readings up to a max of 5v. The Nissan maf uses the same voltage range the computer wants to see, but it takes more airflow to drive up the voltage, hence it works over a bigger hp range.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
This issue is treated in the supercharging thread also.

It's plug and play. It reads more air for the same voltage basically. The computer expects to see voltage readings up to a max of 5v. The Nissan maf uses the same voltage range the computer wants to see, but it takes more airflow to drive up the voltage, hence it works over a bigger hp range.

Joe
Are you serious? If this is the case, what is all the rave about getting an ECUTune upgrade with the Z32 maf? So you are saying all you need to do is get this maf (Exactly what maf are you referring too from Nissan?), plug it in the SVX's maf harness and that's it? Do tell!
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)