Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2008, 01:53 AM

Registered SVX
Hi there..............

Hello all, I have just joined so I thought I should introduce myself and my baby.
My name is Marcus and I live in New Zealand (Remuera, Auckland to be exact). I have always admired the SVX (must be the aircraft inspired styling) and after a long time looking found one I really liked.

So to introduce my "baby"...................

Its a 1995 Japanese market model (I see you use JDM) in burgandy with a tan interior that was imported in 2004, so far it is the only late model SVX I have seen, they seem to be mainly '91-'92 models over here.

If any one could help me with a decode I would appriciate it, the details are as follows;

I don't know what this one specifies - E-CXW
VIN - CXW-006494
Applied Model - CXWD23E
Option Code - SW
Trim - 540
Color code - 487
Engine Type - EG33DDX4DE
Transmission Type - TZ102YL1CA

Any thing I should know about this combination?

Oh, and here's some pics

Look Ma, the steering wheel is on the wrong side

How many other kiwis are here?

Last edited by hairy; 04-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

What do you mean other kiwis? Anyway very beautiful car. I also have a burgundy. And those wheels look swwweeeeet! By themselves I would prolly think they look ugly, but on the car it looks very nice. I forget the guys username, but there is a thread here for free carfaxes though I dunno if they work for those kind of VINs Good luck though and welcome to the community!
Old 01-02-2008, 02:06 AM
Locker Link Solution

welcome to the club!

Nice ride!
I'm more fascinated with the buttons on your wheel for the stereo than it being on the other side, Also like your HVAC controls more. It is also funny to see that center grill and your USDM spoiler

There are a few NZ guys floating about! Keep your eyes peeled
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
welcome to the club!

Nice ride!
I'm more fascinated with the buttons on your wheel for the stereo than it being on the other side, Also like your HVAC controls more. It is also funny to see that center grill and your USDM spoiler

There are a few NZ guys floating about! Keep your eyes peeled

Do you have like a 50" monitor or something? Even after bugging my eyes out I still could barely see them lol
Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeXy96 View Post
What do you mean other kiwis?
Sorry, is there anyone else from NZ on the forum.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Sold my soul to Subaru

lol yeah a few here and there...
Old 01-02-2008, 02:13 AM

Registered SVX
The buttons on the wheel are for the horn, the rest of it is an air-bag, there are no remote stereo controls and the cruise control has its own stalk below the indicator/lights one (on the right hand side of the column.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVeXy96 View Post
Do you have like a 50" monitor or something? Even after bugging my eyes out I still could barely see them lol
I knew they were their, never see much of that wheel though.

kiwis are from down under mate

crazy Hawaiians

and yeah, unfortunately carfax won't do him much good. Needs to be a 17 digit US vin.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy View Post
The buttons on the wheel are for the horn, the rest of it is an air-bag
hmm, what does it say across the air bag anyway? I really thought that was the JDM steering wheel that has stereo controls built into the front (on the airbag cover)

Trevor is a big help on the site and he is from Auckland as well!

I have heard that the JDMs did not have the overheat issues as bad as we do... but I'd still say if it doesn't have an aftermarket trans cooler and external filter... get them! and always change that trans fluid on time

Last edited by Speedklix; 01-02-2008 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Spelling is the garbage and trevor
Old 01-02-2008, 02:24 AM

Registered SVX
One thing that does annoy me though is that that CD stacker and rear speakers are missing, I am considering a Panasonic CQ-VD6505 double din head unit, any other suggestions?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:28 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedklix View Post
hmm, what does it say across the air bag anyway? I really thought that was the JDM steering wheel that has stereo controls built into the front

Trevor is a big help on the site and he is from Auckland as well!
I can do a photo of the wheel and other controls, in about 12 hours 'cause its 10:30pm here, if you like?
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
I can do a photo of the wheel and other controls, in about 12 hours 'cause its 10:30pm here, if you like?
thats no excuse, it is 4:30 am here
i've got a bit of insomnia at the moment

Now that I'm thinking a little more clear, the JDM buttons would be lower on the wheel... that really looks like ovals in the pic though, wierd. I would still be curious to see what that is though if you ever just happen to be taking pics again. ...must force myself to sleep...

Panasonic CQ-VD6505 looks like a nice unit never used one though.. you'll want to double check that you have 165 mm to fit it in there though. I know some people found some units were too deep. I can measure a radio cage later today if it helps (as there is no guarantee JDM has the same dimensions), I'm sure it is listed on here somewhere though.

Last edited by Speedklix; 01-02-2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: ADDED RADIO BABBLE and Wheel info
Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
One thing that does annoy me though is that that CD stacker and rear speakers are missing, I am considering a Panasonic CQ-VD6505 double din head unit, any other suggestions?
You can pick up used OEM units pretty easy.

Some are putting in navigation systems instead which have cd/dvd playback. There is a recent December thread on the Pioneer units.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Welcome

Quote:
Hello all, I have just joined so I thought I should introduce myself and my baby.
My name is Marcus Bridle and I live in New Zealand (Remuera, Auckland to be exact) where I work as an AV technician, my main interest/hobby is vintage aviation, I have always admired the SVX (must be the aircraft inspired styling) and after a long time looking found one I really liked.

So to introduce my "baby"...................

Its a 1995 Japanese market model (I see you use JDM) in burgandy with a tan interior that was imported in 2004, so far it is the only late model SVX I have seen, they seem to be mainly '91-'92 models over here.

Look Ma, the steering wheel is on the wrong side

How many other kiwis are here?
Hi Marcus, you are very welcome, first and foremost.

Second, congratulations, your car is really lovely. The model you have is one of the last of the SVXs, and personally, I particularly like that tan ecsaine upholstery, it suits the car very well, and is better than leather IMO.

With regards to decoding your VIN, I'll elucidate what I can:
Quote:
I don't know what this one specifies - E-CXW
Japan had 2 main versions, Version E and Version L. Version L was only available 91-92. It refers to the chassis version that had electrical and computer controlled 4 wheel steering.
Version E is the standard car, which has passive 4WS, rather than active as in Version L. Version L chassis are all denoted as CXD. This top of the range variant was discontinued after about 93 due to complexity and customer resistance. The vast majority of cars are E-CXW.
[CXD cars were only ever available in Japan]
Quote:
VIN - CXW-006494
So far as we know, this number shows the production total from whenever your particular model run started.
Quote:
Applied Model - CXWD23E
This denotes the year and production run. [All cars were built in Gunma Japan]
Quote:
Option Code - SW
This denotes what options your car came with. As noted by Belha in a later post, it means Sunroof Without.
Quote:
Trim - 540
This as you might suspect, describes the interior trim. In your case it shows the ecsaine seats covering, and I suspect, but don't know as we have no way yet to check this, it also applies to the colour of the plastics, wheel and door cards.
Quote:
Color code - 487
Subaru paint code. Your colour is commonly referred to as Burgundy. The earlier cars with the black roof has a far darker purple paint, usually referred to as Claret.
Quote:
Engine Type - EG33DDX4DE
All SVX engines are EG33. The power output remained the same [more or less] over the life of the model. However, each market would have different states of tune dictated by the control computer [ECU]. In the case of your JDM car you will find your speed limited to about 112 mph.
Quote:
Transmission Type - TZ102YL1CA
All SVXs use what Fuji/Subaru called the 4EAT gearbox, as this code denotes. However the USA got different types of the 4EAT. Your Japanese gearbox will have the full-time AWD gearbox called VTD, which splits the power to the rear using a differential, rather than the electro/hydraulic clutch the US types use. Also your transmission benefits by having the upgrades that were applied after initial problems surfaced in 1992.

Quote:
Any thing I should know about this combination?
That's about all I can tell you.

If you are using your car a lot in hot city traffic, or pulling up hills a lot, we generally recommend that you add an additional transmission oil cooler to the car. They are cheap and easy to install. This defeats heat spikes that kill the trans oil and cause the box to burn out prematurely.

Also, most of us are convinced you should drive in 3, rather than D, in city stop start traffic. On the open road above 55mph engage D. This also saves the gearbox.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 01-03-2008 at 02:56 AM. Reason: New info
Old 01-02-2008, 08:08 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the site Marcus. Some of the members don't look where the member is from before they post and reply like you were from the US.

We do have other Kiwis here and I am sure they will pop in and say hi. You have a beautiful car and I hope we can help you with any of your needs. Good luck.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872