Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 04:12 PM
OOC for a while

Send a message via AIM to 94SubieSVX
I just got done making my "picture frame" to hold the lexan so I can stretch it over the headlight. Just gotta wait til the stove isn't in use

Hopefully this will work
Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
A shop vac should do it, if the mold is just the lens. Or your plaster idea could work if you just make it about 1/2-3/4in thick.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:23 PM
OOC for a while

I was thinking more about the plaster idea, and now it doesn't seem like it would work.

When I would go to push the headlight into it, the edges would most likely hit first, and it would wrinkle up the lexan inside towards the center of the headlight. I wouldn't know while I'm doing itbecause I'd be pushing on it so it would take shape, then it would be all rippled.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Make a positive plaster mold, then use the frame method to pull the lexan over it.
Current Stable By Age:
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:56 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Make a positive plaster mold, then use the frame method to pull the lexan over it.

Would that include cutting the stock lenses off then filling it with plaster?

Also, just got done trying the new frame. It definately works, but I need a good strong clamp to hold the headlight down while I apply pressure. Also I need to stop being so damn impatient when I'm heating the lexan because I keep getting bubbles in it, argg.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Best way to heat Lean polycarb

Hi,
If you have a toaster oven you can trash, cut away some of each side to accomodate the sheet your working with. I've seen 1st hand "artwork" quality end results in polycarbonate sheet and tubing using a modified toaster oven...
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX View Post
Would that include cutting the stock lenses off then filling it with plaster?

Also, just got done trying the new frame. It definately works, but I need a good strong clamp to hold the headlight down while I apply pressure. Also I need to stop being so damn impatient when I'm heating the lexan because I keep getting bubbles in it, argg.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
No, put about 2in of plaster in a bucket big enough to hold the light. Coat the light with vaseline as a "release agent" then set it into the wet plaster. Let the plaster set up , then remove the light. Coat the negative mold with vaseline, pour it full of plaster, let it set up, then pull the "positive" mold out. Sand 1/8" off the positive to get the size right, then use it for vacuforming.
Current Stable By Age:
Old 12-03-2007, 09:12 PM
OOC for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by processengr View Post
Hi,
If you have a toaster oven you can trash, cut away some of each side to accomodate the sheet your working with. I've seen 1st hand "artwork" quality end results in polycarbonate sheet and tubing using a modified toaster oven...

Sounds like it could work, but I don't think the amount of heat put out by a toaster on high, would be more compared to an electric range on high. I would be there even longer heating it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
No, put about 2in of plaster in a bucket big enough to hold the light. Coat the light with vaseline as a "release agent" then set it into the wet plaster. Let the plaster set up , then remove the light. Coat the negative mold with vaseline, pour it full of plaster, let it set up, then pull the "positive" mold out. Sand 1/8" off the positive to get the size right, then use it for vacuforming.

Hmm, maybe I won't take back that plaster just yet then
Old 12-04-2007, 01:36 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
1- Plaster won't work. Try it and you will see why.
2- You are getting bubbles because you are OVER-heating the process (I think). I recommend you try to experiment on a sample piece first, at what heat degree Lexan would begin to soften. And try to find the NON-Bubbling heat level for you to pull it successfully

Hope it works

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 AM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX
yes the heat is critical.. not "high" not broil the intense heat from the element will bubble it. heating the oven up and then putting the peice in, without the intense direct heat from the element you should be ok.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:32 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SubieSVX View Post
Sounds like it could work, but I don't think the amount of heat put out by a toaster on high, would be more compared to an electric range on high. I would be there even longer heating it up.
My toaster oven goes up to ~450 degrees.

Here's some info I found on people making windscreens for their bikes, seems that you only need need to get the lexan up to about 200 degrees or so.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by superru View Post
yes the heat is critical.. not "high" not broil the intense heat from the element will bubble it. heating the oven up and then putting the peice in, without the intense direct heat from the element you should be ok.

I say the opposite. Put the piece in then heat up the oven little by little until noticing the shape forming up

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
yes, Ive been reading up on this stuff...It's best to let it heat SLOWLY to the 200 somethin degrees

You'll want to make a home made style vacume table...Dont worry, it's EASY. Get a piece of peg board, and a little ply wood. You just gotta make a shallow box, with the peg board on top. you'll need a pvc pire fitting at the side to attach a shop vac hose. becaue the headlight housing is cumbersome, you MIGHT want to cut the lense part your replacing OFF, and vacu-form just that part (Or, go with the previously mentioned mold idea)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-04-2007, 12:24 PM
just trying to fix it!

Registered SVX
perfect DIY!! i just couldn't get the idea out of my head on to the computer! stuck in neutral>? yep that'll work, the upper frame has to seal over the entire lower frame, or it won't suck.. you can do it 94subie!!
Old 12-04-2007, 06:22 PM
OOC for a while

Just made an almost perfect lens. The shape and everything is about 95% perfect, but there's a lot of heat bubbles because I used an already used piece. Just did that to save lexan. Anyway here's some pics.

It took me about 5 minutes with the burner on high, holding it about 6inches away from it, until it got soft enough to stretch.

Tomorrow I'll make another piece. This time hopefully I won't make any heat bubbles. I just gotta take my time.