Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-18-2007, 11:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
California Gas

I believe there was a post long time ago, "Gas Prices." Don't remember who started it, but we all agreed that they are going up. We also had different MPG ratings on different SVXes.

Now, to add to that old post, I want to target California in general, and tell how BAD gas is in the bear state, and how MUCH does it really cost.

My bro recently got a 96 Subaru Impreza Outback. Small engine, good gas mileage (relatively), 24 - 25 City, freeway, all the same.

A month after he got the car, we decided to take a little road trip up north. And here are some stats:

1st fill up San Jose - 24.5 MPG (100 % freeway)
2nd fill up Border of Cal and Oregon - 27 MPG (100 % freeway)
3d fill up Portland, Oregon - 31 MPG (80% freeway, 20 % city)
4th fill up Seattle, WA - 28 MPG (90 % freeway, 10 % city)
5th fill up Vancouver, The Beautiful British Columbia (4.1$ per gallon) - 29 MPG.
6th fill up Washington - 28 MPG
7th fill up Oregon - Cal border - 29 MPG
8th fill up Davis, CA - 26 MPG
9th fill up LA, CA - 24 MPG

Now, how about SVX? Unfortunately never made it that far up. However, my recent drives to work showed the following:
San Jose Gas - 23.5 MPG (50% city, 50% freeway)
Sacramento Gas - 26 MPG (95% freeway, 5% city)

So for all you northern states folks, I wouldn't be surprised that your SVX can get 30MPG. California gas is just horrible. We used to have a joke about it back where I am from, we figured our gas was distilled with donkey pee. Well, I haven't seen too many donkeys in CA, I guess it is those happy cows from California.

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 PM
One teal and One yellow

Maybe this was one of the ones. I just bump it up.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35233

At $4.1 dollars per gallon wow that's not cheap.

Does the impreza require premium as well? Guess gas from different state does matter with mpg.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-19-2007, 12:15 AM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamorush
I believe there was a post long time ago, "Gas Prices." Don't remember who started it, but we all agreed that they are going up. We also had different MPG ratings on different SVXes.

Now, to add to that old post, I want to target California in general, and tell how BAD gas is in the bear state, and how MUCH does it really cost.

My bro recently got a 96 Subaru Impreza Outback. Small engine, good gas mileage (relatively), 24 - 25 City, freeway, all the same.

A month after he got the car, we decided to take a little road trip up north. And here are some stats:

1st fill up San Jose - 24.5 MPG (100 % freeway)
2nd fill up Border of Cal and Oregon - 27 MPG (100 % freeway)
3d fill up Portland, Oregon - 31 MPG (80% freeway, 20 % city)
4th fill up Seattle, WA - 28 MPG (90 % freeway, 10 % city)
5th fill up Vancouver, The Beautiful British Columbia (4.1$ per gallon) - 29 MPG.
6th fill up Washington - 28 MPG
7th fill up Oregon - Cal border - 29 MPG
8th fill up Davis, CA - 26 MPG
9th fill up LA, CA - 24 MPG

Now, how about SVX? Unfortunately never made it that far up. However, my recent drives to work showed the following:
San Jose Gas - 23.5 MPG (50% city, 50% freeway)
Sacramento Gas - 26 MPG (95% freeway, 5% city)

So for all you northern states folks, I wouldn't be surprised that your SVX can get 30MPG. California gas is just horrible. We used to have a joke about it back where I am from, we figured our gas was distilled with donkey pee. Well, I haven't seen too many donkeys in CA, I guess it is those happy cows from California.

nik

Did a 350 mile road trip on Mothers day. Subject vehicle, 1997 Outback Limited, 2.5, 132K.
Changed oil, added Lucas, new plugs, Knock sensor, air filter, ( Framed it), checked tire pressure, (inflated them a little extra), used A/C a little, ran WITH traffic, passengers plus cargo, !,000#.

Got 24.5 MPG using all the tricks.

Last road trip, got over 28, with NO attempt to 'squeeze' the mileage!

WE are being SHAFTED! Bigger prices for less product!

From the 'former' Free State, Maryland.

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 07-19-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
Quote:
At $4.1 dollars per gallon wow that's not cheap.
That cheapest gas in Vancoouver we found at 1.13 Canadian per litre. Which equals around $4.1 per gallon. It is not even premium, just the lowest you can get.

I seriously think of driving to Oregon just to get gas (they don't even have tax there) I filled up at Costco in Oregon for $2.75, and Cal is about $3.09 for the cheapest.

nik
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 07-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Next saturday i head to WV for a meet, and from there to texas. I have a total of 3200 miles round trip. Gas prices here are around $3.04-$3.09 premium, i don't even pay attention to regular anymore. I normally average 17-19mpg, mix city and highway, agressive and passive driving.

If i take all that into account, manage to average 20mpg, that's 160 gallons of gas. If i manage to average $3.10 per gallon, i'm looking at $496 in gas from philly to texas and back.

Chances are, my new 5MT will be very exciting and i'll be driving a bit agressively, or at least tempted to, so i'm trying to plant he trip to involve a lot of highway, instead of smaller roads, so i can just "cruise" most of the way, thus less opertunity to jump on the accellerator.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Two weeks ago I got back from a California visit that started in Sacramento, & continued through Tahoe, Yosemite, down to Sun City & San Diego; over to the coast to Dana Point, up Rt. 1 & 101 all the way to San Francisco, Muir Woods, & back to Sacramento. All totaled 2500+ miles in ten days in a rented Dodge Caliber "Sleeper Edition". Lowest price for gas was $2.87 in Bishop, CA; highest $3.27 around Monterey. I had more fun than a old fart's entitled to.
Gotta' do it again some year.

Ron.

P.S. Total SVXes spotted - Three. Two around Lake Tahoe within a mile of each other. One close to Ridgecrest, just off Rt. 395 (Middle of nowhere).

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 07-20-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:38 AM
Work, Sleep, SVX, Repeat

Gas in my area is about, 3.04-3.11 and I think its insane, my senior year of high school, (im now 19 and attending WSU-Tricities) it was 2.30-2.50, and I get about 26mpg to 28mpg with my svx. I just can't believe gas is so expensive.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:03 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
I live in NH but have made it out to Cali reguarly every about 2 years to visit relatives and such. I know how big a difference there is in the price between the two states. The craziest part is how quickly it went up since I started driving. I'm 22 now and remember filling my tank of my Impreza (Outback Sport which by the way to answe the question earlier takes regular but mid helps it run better and better MPG) for 1.70ish. Now I get around 22MPG with the SVX filled always at Shell so I can get my 93 for the same price as the cheap guys (It's across from a Mobile and down the street from the cheapies so the have to keep the price the same). I filled last 2 times for 3.07. I"ve filled for worse but I can say most of my over all driving is Highway. I also for some reason get 100mi on my first 1/4 of a tank though. Probably cause of when in my work week i fill and how I drive. Guess i just burn it up on all my wonderfully fun back roads. One of the great things about NH. Though I'll most likely wind un in Cali in the end.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis
Old 07-21-2007, 10:52 AM
H6 THE ONLY WAY!

Send a message via AIM to Seraphinwolf Send a message via Yahoo to Seraphinwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphinwolf
I live in NH but have made it out to Cali reguarly every about 2 years to visit relatives and such. I know how big a difference there is in the price between the two states. The craziest part is how quickly it went up since I started driving. I'm 22 now and remember filling my tank of my Impreza (Outback Sport which by the way to answe the question earlier takes regular but mid helps it run better and better MPG) for 1.70ish. Now I get around 22MPG with the SVX filled always at Shell so I can get my 93 for the same price as the cheap guys (It's across from a Mobile and down the street from the cheapies so the have to keep the price the same). I filled last 2 times for 3.07. I"ve filled for worse but I can say most of my over all driving is Highway. I also for some reason get 100mi on my first 1/4 of a tank though. Probably cause of when in my work week i fill and how I drive. Guess i just burn it up on all my wonderfully fun back roads. One of the great things about NH. Though I'll most likely wind un in Cali in the end.
I forgot to mention my MPG readings aren't accurate it's actually much better than that rating. I have 235/40zr/18's so I have a larger radius. Farther per rotation.
Rota Tarmac 3's 18x8" on 245/40/18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, Perrin light weight crank pulley, PRW radiator, custom coilovers(not GC's), 9006 HID 4300k 50W low beams, DIY garage door lip, and SVXfiles brake kit. Fixxed exhaust so no more sweet sound.

97 White/Black trim Impreza Outback Sport (March 13/08) 150K-180K(sensor broken)Good news is EZ30R and 05' 6speed full powertrain swap is in motion!: Will be doing more work as I can. Gonna be run by a Hydra so yeah fun to be had.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
-Gaddis

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: