Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-07-2007, 11:25 PM

Emissions crap under intake manifold

I'm stripping down my engine to get it ready to mock up in the 911 chassis and I'm wondering how much of the solenoids and crap under the intake manifold is purely emissions related. How much of that stuff can I remove and not have any problems with reliability or drivability. If you could maybe circle the components and tell me what they do?

There is also a small box that says JEC on it. What does that control?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_5492.JPG (974.5 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_5491.JPG (690.5 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg DCP_5493.JPG (891.1 KB, 414 views)
Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 PM

noone... Bueler...
Old 05-10-2007, 10:22 PM

okay, is there somewhere I could look this up? Someone on here has got to know.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:52 PM

You haven't supplied enough information about your plans. But, if you're going to run the SVX ECU, your probably need everything.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 PM

Well I'm assuming some of it is things like EGR valve/solenoid, fuel pressure solenoid, ect...

I'm not going to have to run any emissions control devices on this car because the vehicle that the engine is going into doesn't need it. However, if there are emissions controls that will cause problems with the factory ECU function, then I will be sure to leave them intact. The biggest thing is, I'm not sure what everything does. Like what's the actuator for in the middle of the manifold? What does that valve control? I am going to be using the factory SVX engine management but I'm not worried about CEL's or anything like that. Just as long as the engine runs properly.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:02 AM

Registered SVX
It is interesting that the word "crap" can be accepted within a main heading, whereas I have not been able to register $hitty within a post, in respect of a plastic radiator tank. $hit metal is an accepted term in this part of the world and describes that which comprises cheap alloy moldings. Maturity is the issue here.

Are the powers that be reading this. Yes I know a bloody computer does not have a brain.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 AM

It's pretty simple, in the US, "crap" isn't considered to be a bad word. It's actually an alternative to words like $hit and is considered more acceptable to the general public. Crap can be said on TV and the radio, but the other word cant. But if this is really going to offend someone, I can change it to "stuff"
Old 05-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Maturity is the issue here.
Are the powers that be reading this. Yes I know a bloody computer does not have a brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcpaz
.... But if this is really going to offend someone, I can change it to "stuff"
Maturity IS the issue here. I think we can all handle the word "crap". It is not considered profane in the US. So calm down, there are plenty of other words to be offended by. The world isn't going to end, moving on.

Thanks for posting the photos, kcpaz. I'm sorry I can't help but your photos helped me.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram
Old 05-12-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Well I'm assuming some of it is things like EGR valve/solenoid, fuel pressure solenoid, ect...

I'm not going to have to run any emissions control devices on this car because the vehicle that the engine is going into doesn't need it. However, if there are emissions controls that will cause problems with the factory ECU function, then I will be sure to leave them intact. The biggest thing is, I'm not sure what everything does. Like what's the actuator for in the middle of the manifold? What does that valve control? I am going to be using the factory SVX engine management but I'm not worried about CEL's or anything like that. Just as long as the engine runs properly.
That big center valve opens a passage between the 2 halves of the manifold. I'm not sure what all signals are used by the ECU to decide when to open it though. The rest of the stuff I'm not familiar with so I won't comment.

As for not worrying about a CEL, I think thats a bit of a nieve outlook to take. The ECU lights the CEL and certain conditions that trigger it also cause the ECU to enter limp mode which cuts power drastically.

73 Datsun 240Z, GM LT1 (274 rwhp, 307 ft/lbs torque), GM 5-Speed, LSD (The Beast)
93 Mustang 5.0 LX Convertible. Mostly Stock (The PussyCat)
92 Teal LS-L SVX. Project, when completed will be sold.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. It sounds like I will probably just keep everything unless I can can get definitave answers. It's not a big deal, I was just wondering if I could clean up the engine bay a bit by getting rid of un-needed things.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:10 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat
Maturity IS the issue here. I think we can all handle the word "crap". It is not considered profane in the US. So calm down, there are plenty of other words to be offended by. The world isn't going to end, moving on.
Comment as you will, but do not instruct me, or reply with sarcasm.

I have been here long enough to notice that the level of ethics displayed her has very much deteriorated over time and continues to do so. It may be your opinion that this constitutes "moving on", but I am confident that long standing members will not agree with you.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
No offense to anybody, but I'd like to see this thread stick to tech...
Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
I'm stripping down my engine to get it ready to mock up in the 911 chassis and I'm wondering how much of the solenoids and crap under the intake manifold is purely emissions related. How much of that stuff can I remove and not have any problems with reliability or drivability. If you could maybe circle the components and tell me what they do?

There is also a small box that says JEC on it. What does that control?
Nothing to add, just wanted to comment on the pics. Fascinating, always wondered what was under there. Thanks for posting them.

I think it would be wise to leave those emissions "things" intact as well.

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-13-2007, 05:40 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow
No offense to anybody, but I'd like to see this thread stick to tech...
Technical "crap"

Old 05-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
I found this:

I actually got that off an Ebay thing, so you'll have to find someone else to explain anything you don't understand.

Hope it helps!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl