How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 04:17 PM

change from AWD to FWD

I was wondering if you could switch and awd svx to a fwd. I want to do this so it will be more reliable and get better gas millage. I found a trany on craigslist for 100 bucks. let me know your opinion. thanks
Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Nick

It can be done because anything is possible.

Something being possible, however, is no guarantee that this is advisable.

IMHO what you have in mind here is too big a job to undertake to gain the stated objectives.

If you put a FWD tranny in as you are contemplating, this tranny will need a FWD transmission computer, aka TCU. The one currently in your car will expect signals that control the AWD functions. A FWD TCU will not expect to see or handle these signals.

Assuming you installed the FWD box, and that it was good, you need to strip out the rear propshaft driving the back axle. You will still be left with the centre unused diff, and the two axles, or half shafts as we call them over here. Ideally, to gain the lower weight of the FWD car, you need to strip these out as well.

This is way too much trouble to go to in order to gain what you are looking for.

Huck might have very good ideas on how much trouble this change you want is going to be.

I would not do it to my car to gain a few mpg.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
I've done it, and like Joe has mentioned the AWD TCU doesn't shift properly when hooked up to a FWD trans. We tried a FWD TCU out of a Legacy and that didn't work right either, so you'll have to get one out of a FWD SVX.

The one thing not mentioned is that you'll need to come up with stub axles to replace the rear axles. These can be found in any FWD Leg, Imp or SVX.

It only stayed in until we sourced an AWD trans to go back in, so we never did get the right TCU. As for mileage, this was in the racer so gas mileage was not really a concern and was never measured.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:13 PM

i was thinking about putting a manual fwd transmission. So i dont think you need the computer and everything. I was just wondering if that would be possible.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_kas
i was thinking about putting a manual fwd transmission. So i dont think you need the computer and everything. I was just wondering if that would be possible.
See Dave's post above. You will need a TCU to match the transmission and with the correct wiring and signals that the transmission needs.

They are not really simple devices. 4EAT transmissions are computer controlled. You need the correct computer.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_kas
Yes it is possiable, and easier than putting a AWD manual in.

As for the rear stubs, just dissasemble the outer stubs off the rear axles to put in the hubs, then remove the driveshaft, and rear diff.

Installing a manual is a bit of work, but less if you're just doing a FWD manual(write up in my sig)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
There's a storm coming.

Back when Subaru made both fwd and awd cars, the fwd's weighed 90#s less, and got 2 mpg better.
They also had smaller tires, and handled like crap compared to the awd's.
I'm keeping mine AWD!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Partially Correct

(removed double posting)

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 05-04-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Partially Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Back when Subaru made both fwd and awd cars, the fwd's weighed 90#s less, and got 2 mpg better.
They also had smaller tires, and handled like crap compared to the awd's.
I'm keeping mine AWD!
Partially correct. They had the same size tires and handled fine. Just not quite as good as the AWD. They were quicker because the gear ratio was a little lower, but of course there was a little more torque steer. I would actually think the weight difference was greater than #90. It was lighter tranny (no rear transfer), only rear axles stubs instead of full axle shafts, no rear differential, no driveshaft assembly and no rear subframe for rear differential mounting. The front axle shafts were heavier (read stronger) than on the AWD.

What you are proposing is a valid option if costs are a consideration and AWD traction is not needed. I actually preferred driving my 94 FWD over my 92 AWDs except in bad weather. I think if you check FWD owners, they well tell you they are quite happy with their cars. For all around driving I do prefer my 96 AWD. (My 94 would outrun 2 of my 92s both off the line and top end and it had significantly more miles than either of them. Also, one of the 92s had a K&N cone filter (not recommended) and a stebro exhaust and still lost.--on the track of course )

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by lhopp77; 05-04-2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:22 AM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
Partially correct. They had the same size tires and handled fine. Just not quite as good as the AWD. They were quicker because the gear ratio was a little lower, but of course there was a little more torque steer. I would actually think the weight difference was greater than #90. It was lighter tranny (no rear transfer), only rear axles stubs instead of full axle shafts, no rear differential and no rear subframe for rear differential mounting. The front axle shafts were heavier (read stronger) than on the AWD.

What you are proposing is a valid option if costs are a consideration and AWD traction is not needed.

Lee
Partially correct.
The tires were smaller.
The Certificate of Origin stated a #90 lesser weight.
They cost about $1000 less, when new, and their resale value was around $1200 less after one year, at that time.
So no one bought them.
BTW, I sold new Subarus from 1983-2004.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Bad decisions effect everybody

Send a message via AIM to JaySVX Send a message via Yahoo to JaySVX
Crazy yet potentially plausable idea, and would make things a WHOLE lot easier. Take your awd, and ask if anyone wants to trade their fwd with you. No rebuilding your car, and chances are, they'll be quite eger to take you up on the proposition.
2004 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer, 6.0litre Power Stroke Diesel - Daily Driver.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, scotch in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA !!!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Coming from a guy who has had a fwd svx, and bought TWO awd svxi with bad trannys...the fwd is jus...missing that subaru charm. Sure, having gobs of torque steer might be fun for scaring your little sister, but everytime yu need to pull out in traffic you'll feel like an ass. Ever seen a guy chirp second in a civic? Youll look almost like that.
As far as swapping for reliability...you can swap out damn near any trans and have it more reliable. Or hell, you can even just install a trans cooler and stop driving it like your in the next installment of the fast and the ficticious (Which, youd have an even harder time doing if you swapped to fwd in the first place)
And for gas mileage...there's theese aesome tire valve caps thatll get ya to 45 mpg But more seriously...the money and time invesed into a fwd conversion could easilly be spent on a fresh synthetic oil change, new air filter, a few extra pounds of air in the tires, and some genral matinence stuff like o2 sensors and whatnot.
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric
Coming from a guy who has had a fwd svx, and bought TWO awd svxi with bad trannys...the fwd is jus...missing that subaru charm. Sure, having gobs of torque steer might be fun for scaring your little sister, but everytime yu need to pull out in traffic you'll feel like an ass. Ever seen a guy chirp second in a civic? Youll look almost like that.
As far as swapping for reliability...you can swap out damn near any trans and have it more reliable. Or hell, you can even just install a trans cooler and stop driving it like your in the next installment of the fast and the ficticious (Which, youd have an even harder time doing if you swapped to fwd in the first place)
And for gas mileage...there's theese aesome tire valve caps thatll get ya to 45 mpg But more seriously...the money and time invesed into a fwd conversion could easilly be spent on a fresh synthetic oil change, new air filter, a few extra pounds of air in the tires, and some genral matinence stuff like o2 sensors and whatnot.
I figure he has a bad tranny, and looking at options...

We had a 1990 AWD Legacy that toasted the tranny, and I couldn't find a AWD tranny (in my budget ) but found a FWD tranny for $200, put it in, and never had any trouble out of it, (shifted perfect) still using the AWD TCU....I didn't even remove the rear diff, just left the driveshaft out (wish I had kept the 4.11 rear diff now...)
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Old Timer (age that is)

Registered SVX
Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles
Partially correct.
The tires were smaller.
The Certificate of Origin stated a #90 lesser weight.
They cost about $1000 less, when new, and their resale value was around $1200 less after one year, at that time.
So no one bought them.
BTW, I sold new Subarus from 1983-2004.
No matter that you sold Subies---the tires were NOT smaller. All 97 models had smaller tires, but prior to that all were the same. I did not argue about what the documents stated for the weight difference---I said I "thought" it would be more because of all the items I listed.

Find me a single 94 with stock wheels and tires that are smaller. Remember---I owned one. In fact it was the lowest level model ever produced--the LE. (It is still in the family.) On it I could have added the lack of ABS brakes as another weight subtraction. (The ABS pump and toner wheels.)

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 05-04-2007, 07:35 PM

AWD TCU compatibility

So there seems to be a disagreement about whether or not an AWD TCU will work with a FWD transmission. My TCU needed replacing in my 94 FWD and for a quick fix I found the TCU out of a 92 AWD. Afterwards, my car is showing symptoms of a misadjusted TPS, such as no power mode. I'm gonna get a voltage meter on it today, but (question) there's no difference in the TPS between years (92/94) or transmissions (AWD/FWD) is there? I'm running the ECU out of the same 92 AWD as well.

94 Barcelona Red FWD, ECUtune stage 1 v 5, Small Car shift kit, Raceconcept rotors, Akebono Pads, Rebuilt transmission by SR Hydramatic, JDM hood emblem, 225 Falkens all around

Other ride:
'64 Dodge Dart 270 - blue and white (Color Me Gone style)
360 ci, 727 trans, posi rear, Preformer RPM airgap, Holley 550, custom headers, Flowmaster exhaust, no brakes!