SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 PM
What blue lights?

Send a message via AIM to GOT2HAVESVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
I'll be debt-free coming out of this toilet, and with a paid off 5mt svx to boot . Kinda wish I was single so a chick-getter would actually be allowed to get chicks
WOW, if you were my husband and I read this you would "kinda" get your wish!

Scott & Audrey's Subaru SVX's

1995 Green
1992 Black
Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
And you couldn't pay me to take a spontaneously-combustable modded dsm
Touche

DSMs earned their "bad" rep from retards that through a manual boost controller on and turn it up until it pops. For the most part, they are mechanically sound cars. Once you start modifying them, you actually have to know what you are doing which is a large problem for most DSMers.

I do understand your point though. Modify any car and it can be unreliable. I've just seen more 13b engines in pieces than I would have cared for. The rotary engine is a really cool idea, just hard to make work.

But in all honesty, people sell track ready LS1 RX7s that run 10s at the drag strip for $25K. they just don't look that pretty.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-10-2007, 08:24 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
Touche

DSMs earned their "bad" rep from retards that through a manual boost controller on and turn it up until it pops. For the most part, they are mechanically sound cars. Once you start modifying them, you actually have to know what you are doing which is a large problem for most DSMers.
I haven't had a problem with my DSM either, and I've owned it for 2.5 years. It's now pushing upwards of 275whp on a stock 14b turbo. Once I get some money saved up for a new clutch and FMIC, I'll slap on a bigger turbo and up the boost.

I hate the fact that DSM's get a bad rap, but that just keeps the people that don't know what they're doing away from them.

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Actually even stock dsm's get their bad reps from shattered differentials, busted trannies, spun rod bearings, crankwalk, and spontaneously combusting ecu's.. I had a stock 94 talon with two of the above happen. After an engine rebuild and major brake work, my transmission started "clunking" into gears (auto) before finally just breaking, acting like neutral in every gear. My dsm days were over after that. I'm sure you've heard the term DSM = disposable speed machines
Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Actually even stock dsm's get their bad reps from shattered differentials, busted trannies, spun rod bearings, crankwalk, and spontaneously combusting ecu's.. I had a stock 94 talon with two of the above happen. After an engine rebuild and major brake work, my transmission started "clunking" into gears (auto) before finally just breaking, acting like neutral in every gear. My dsm days were over after that. I'm sure you've heard the term DSM = disposable speed machines
I'm not going to debate the validity of your DSM failures as I am well aware that **** happens, and apparantly it left a bad taste in your mouth.

My dad bought the 93 GSX that I'm currently building into a track car new in 92. We've had it since then and have had only the most minor of problems.

I've also never heard of the "spontaneously combusting ECUs". The capacitors occasionally leak after 15 years or so, but that's about it. The rest are things that happen, but only the CW happens more than it does on other cars.

The auto trans was a chrysler part, and everyone knows how much chrysler sucks at making transmissions.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-10-2007, 01:30 PM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
My friend's talon's ecu caught fire for no reason while he was driving home from work. He looked it up and found out he's not the only one that's happened to.. anyways good luck, they are sweet cars when they run.. I loved every minute of mine.

Last edited by Ricochet; 04-10-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to budbaer Send a message via Yahoo to budbaer
A bit of advise from someone that has had several Rx-7's. If you want your rotary engine to last, drive it like you want to blow it up. The worst thing you can do with those engines is drive them nice and shift early.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:55 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by budbaer
A bit of advise from someone that has had several Rx-7's. If you want your rotary engine to last, drive it like you want to blow it up. The worst thing you can do with those engines is drive them nice and shift early.

I should probably stay away from that car then
2012 Camry V6 SE

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: