How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-29-2006, 05:25 PM
Formally Capuano

Underdrive pulley WOBBLES?

I've never seen anything like it. After replacing my stock pulley with a new aluminum underdrive pulley, and putting on new belts & torquing the new pulley to 100lbs, I thought I was all done. But when I start it up, the belts run smooth on all the pulleys and tenioners, except the crank pulley that I replaced. It's wobbling around like it's going to fall off. I'm afraid to drive it to the Dragway 42 meet next wekend like this, since it looks like it could throw a belt at any time. I haven't taken it all apart yet, but I figure it must be one of two things:
either I didn't get the pulley onto the key like I thought I had (but I was almost SURE it was locked on); or the pulley itself is not balanced. I'm going to remove the belts, start the car, and see if I've still got the wobble. If so, the I guess I'll take off the pulley and spin it on a shaft to see if it's out of balance.

Am I missing some obvious problem here? Is there anything else I could try?
Thanks,
Cappy

'94 LSi Barcelona Red 158,000 miles
'92 LS-L Dark Teal 47,000 miles
'95 Olds Acheiva 104,000 miles
'85 Audi 4000 135,000 miles
'87 Supra 129,000 miles - 2nd JDM engine
Old 10-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy
I've never seen anything like it. After replacing my stock pulley with a new aluminum underdrive pulley, and putting on new belts & torquing the new pulley to 100lbs, I thought I was all done. But when I start it up, the belts run smooth on all the pulleys and tenioners, except the crank pulley that I replaced. It's wobbling around like it's going to fall off. I'm afraid to drive it to the Dragway 42 meet next wekend like this, since it looks like it could throw a belt at any time. I haven't taken it all apart yet, but I figure it must be one of two things:
either I didn't get the pulley onto the key like I thought I had (but I was almost SURE it was locked on); or the pulley itself is not balanced. I'm going to remove the belts, start the car, and see if I've still got the wobble. If so, the I guess I'll take off the pulley and spin it on a shaft to see if it's out of balance.

Am I missing some obvious problem here? Is there anything else I could try?
Thanks,
Cappy
I would try making sure it's on the keyway first. Where'd you get the pulley? If it is on the key, Maybe it went on a little crooked or something? Keep me updated and maybe I can stop out your way this week and take a look at it.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:46 PM

also what brand is the pulley? did you get it off eBay? *cringe*
Old 10-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Formally Capuano

I DID get it off ebay. Not good, huh? The guy has a 100% positive rating??? Of course if it turns out to be unbalanced that will drop to 99%. Darnit! I thought I'd save 50 bucks and get the cheapo instead of the Unorthodox racing one. So you're telling me THAT could be the problem?

Old 10-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Formally Capuano

Thanks Budfreak. Let me try to make sure it's on the key OK and not out of balance. If I have to I'll put the old pulley back on.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Thanks Budfreak. Let me try to make sure it's on the key OK and not out of balance. If I have to I'll put the old pulley back on.
Now you wouldn't be trying to get some more power real quick to race me on sat. would you?? Keep us informed as to what you find.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:11 PM

Talking Get a biger wrench!

Make sure the key is in place and tighten it down. Then it can't flop around!
I got mine on ebay about 40,000 miles ago. Never a problem! I did tighten it down GOOD though. Good luck
Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Formally Capuano

Thanks,
It's definitely on there tight enough, and it isn't moving on the shaft. I either put it on crooked, or it's out of balance. I'll get a chance to work on it tomorrow & let yo know.

And YES, Budfreak, I was trying to get a few extra ponies in my car so I wouldn't be too embarassed Saturday at the track But now that it takes 5 to 7 days of driving to realize the extra HP gain, I guess I'll be happy to get another 16.00 second quarter mile!
Cappy

Old 10-31-2006, 07:19 PM
Formally Capuano

OK It's Official...I'm an IDIOT!

Took the pulley of today, and guess what? I MISSED THE DAMN KEY by a 1/4 inch! I swear I thought for sure I had it right on. But I guess when it slipped on, I thought it was on the key. So all I was doing was torquing it on crooked! Oh by the way, I managed to make a new slot on the ID of the pulley, confirming what I learned in my college metallurgy classes...steel really is harder than aluminum.

Thanks for the input. I feel like such a goof!

Well, now that I screwed up the $40 pulley, I guess I can go ahead and order a higher quality one. Next time I'll be more careful.

Cappy

Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Took the pulley of today, and guess what? I MISSED THE DAMN KEY by a 1/4 inch! I swear I thought for sure I had it right on. But I guess when it slipped on, I thought it was on the key. So all I was doing was torquing it on crooked! Oh by the way, I managed to make a new slot on the ID of the pulley, confirming what I learned in my college metallurgy classes...steel really is harder than aluminum.

Thanks for the input. I feel like such a goof!

Well, now that I screwed up the $40 pulley, I guess I can go ahead and order a higher quality one. Next time I'll be more careful.

Cappy
You can't still use the pulley?? Buy one from motorsportswarehouse if all else fails. Dayle will be able to take care of you. Just let him know your from the network.

P.S. Mine will still be faster.