Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-04-2001, 10:22 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
http://www.autosite.com/used/sptcar.asp

My friend sent me this while on his search for a used MR2.
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 05-06-2001, 12:17 AM
Jedi Member

Quote:
Originally posted at www.autosite.com
http://www.autosite.com/used/sptcar.asp

Subaru SVX--This car doesn't really know what its mission is. It seems to fall somewhere between an all-out sports car and a luxury coupe. In any event, SVXs are a little odd and mostly unwanted. Hold out for your price.
Is it just me, or do I feel slightly offended?

--"It dosen't know what its mission is"!?
--"Mostly unwanted"!?

Hey, all you guys on this forum that don't "really want" your SVX's, give me your number so I can "bargain hard" with you for your car. My leather's wearing out so I figure I'll just buy another one cheap and use it for parts. <---(kinda brings up feelings of human cloning and harvesting body parts to me)
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 05-06-2001, 12:31 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
[B]

Is it just me, or do I feel slightly offended?
I didn't read the whole thing, just what you posted. I don't agree at all with it, but some idiots *do* get paid to trash good ideas. However, your post if I'm thinking correctly should read..."Is it just me, or is this offensive to members here and SVX fans everywhere?" Because it might just be you if you feel slightly offended.
Old 05-06-2001, 10:43 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Pity!

Pity on the poor sap who wrote it, because:

1) S/He doesn't own an SVX, and doesn't know what they are missing out on,

OR

2) S/He is so jealous that S/He doesn't have one, and writes that tidbit hoping to drive down the price so S/He can afford to have one.

I'm not sure, but if you can pay LESS for an SVX than a 300ZX (turbo excluded), and have MORE luxury, roughly the same performance, and throw in AWD to boot, it really makes me wonder which one is the better buy.

Kelly blue book puts the 300ZX bottom range at $11950. For that money, a low mileage 95/96 SVX can be had.

Just my deflated 2 Canadian cents worth (that's 1.3 cents USD to the rest of you)

VK
92 Pearl LSL, 163k
And Damn Proud to Own One!
Old 05-06-2001, 11:10 AM
joeaux

If you've read the reviews by reputable (note that key word) magazines you'd see the truth about this car. They all have great things to say about it. Always. It seems that the internet has created a bunch of 'experts'. And most of them aren't.
-joe-
Old 05-06-2001, 12:25 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Hmmm. I wasn't offended at all. I've always said that the SVX was the perfect blend of Sport/Luxury. Saying that it "doesn't really know what its mission is" is just another way of saying it. Backhandedly, perhaps, but the same thing -- as evidenced by those who love it the way it is and those who are trying to modify it into an overblown sports car.

I think we can admit that the car, to most, is "odd." The question I got from the fellow at the Waffle House, on my way back from PA proves that, "hey, did you put the roof on like that?" "No, it came that way." People just don't know it, thus, most are afraid of it and "don't want it." All the better for us, pricewise. These cars will sit on lots for months and months 'til the dealer gets tired of it and sells it cheap, or someone who REALLY REALLY wants one comes along and pays the price (Which is the category I fell into).

So, no, I wasn't offended.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-06-2001, 07:59 PM
tober76b

Quote:
Originally posted by joeaux
If you've read the reviews by reputable (note that key word) magazines you'd see the truth about this car. They all have great things to say about it. Always. It seems that the internet has created a bunch of 'experts'. And most of them aren't.
-joe-
what i got from this webpage was that they're recommending the SVX as a sports car to choose while also letting the consumer know of its low resale value. as for the whole mission comment, they obviously don't own an SVX; however, IMO i think they realize the comfort level and performance it offers its drivers.
i mean, it is listed under 'used sports car pros picks' and not a 'sports cars to avoid' category.
BUT....
they stated this in a hasty -- leaning on negative -- way.
toby
Old 05-07-2001, 04:16 PM
joeaux

Agree with all the comments. But I have to stick with my "...created a bunch of experts..." comment.
-joe-
Old 05-07-2001, 04:35 PM
Headed to Texas...

Personally, I'm starting to get a little tired of the "Capt. Kirk, your car is here" comments or the classic "nice, but odd".
A truly unique car comes out and it gets slammed for being unique. And people wonder why we get cookie cutter cars

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-07-2001, 04:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by joeaux
Agree with all the comments. But I have to stick with my "...created a bunch of experts..." comment.
-joe-

As well you should. You are correct, sir.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-08-2001, 05:14 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Thumbs up

Right on Randy,

I was not offended either. The SVX is a luxury GT car. It combines traits of sports cars, and luxury carsplus adds some of its own. It handles very well but is not an out an out road racer. It accelerates well but is not a drag racer. It has luxury appointments and the ride is quiet and smooth.
In addition to the above it has a decent cargo area and AWD for nasty weather motoring. All this is wrapped in a very sleek package.

This car was designed to do a lot reasonably well. Since it was a financial fiasco for Subaru, we can buy used ones quite inexpensively. What more can a person ask for in a car?

Just my 2 cents.

Larry III

Old 05-10-2001, 11:24 AM
SVX Black Belt Master

"Since it was a financial fiasco for Subaru"

I never will figure that out. It's simple. Don't advertise cars. Don't sell cars. It's like Subaru was looking for a writeoff of some kind. What in the world were they thinking?

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 05-10-2001, 11:52 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by wasions
"Since it was a financial fiasco for Subaru"

I never will figure that out. It's simple. Don't advertise cars. Don't sell cars. It's like Subaru was looking for a writeoff of some kind. What in the world were they thinking?

Steve
I think you have to remember for years Subaru had a slogan that said something like "inexpensive and built to stay that way". When you build an inexpensive product that is going to stay that way you obviously can't put a bunch of advertising dollars into a car that isn't inexpensive. (Anyone else remember the massive amounts of Justy ads on teevee?) They figured it wouldn't sell is my take on the situation. I'd venture to say that 98% of the poeple that I know that have had SVX's love 'em to death, and the one question that gets asked over and over is...."Why didn't they market the car?"

I've seen a *few* Jaguar ads, never seen a Ferrari ad, and don't ever expect to. You just didn't advertise a 35k$ Subaru back then. Doesn't matter what a great car it is, I guess they figured they might sell just sitting in the showroom, or on the lot. That's where most of my customers found out about them. You also probably don't know this, but when Subaru launched the Legacy, (in 1989-90) they predicted sales of about 100,000 units, and they didn't even get half way there the first year, so they were in a sort of financial turmoil at the time. Heck, if I hadn't worked on [SVX] them and been familiar with them, I'd never have taken a second look.

They [SVX] weren't inexpensive to buy, nor (as most of you know), are they inexpensive to repair. Having said that, I have never owned a car that felt more solid, and that I have felt safer in, what's a few bucks when it comes to comfort and safety?
Old 05-10-2001, 12:18 PM

Registered SVX
<<I think you have to remember for years Subaru had a slogan that said something like "inexpensive and built to stay that way".>>

TRIVIA QUESTION: Remember who had the slogan, "Expensive, and darned well worth it."

<< They [SVX] weren't inexpensive to buy, nor (as most of you know), are they inexpensive to repair. Having said that, I have never owned a car that felt more solid, and that I have felt safer in, what's a few bucks when it comes to comfort and safety?>>

I'd like to argue with you on these points. But I can't. Darn! I'm frightened. We've finally found common ground.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-10-2001, 12:20 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

eddy,
I completely concur with your opinion about safety, comfort, etc., etc. I can't imagine my wife (the commuter) having to drive anything else.

The ad slogan brought up some funny memories:

When we had our '80 AWD Wagon we were very active members of the local SCCA (and the OSCC - Owensboro Sports Car Club - Aredub), using it in both rallies (local, regional, and national TSD's) and autocrossing (can you say 'frenzy'?). We had 'Team' shirts made up. Mine said 'SUBARU' on the front. Sharon's said 'INEXPENSIVE' on the front. And on the back, 'AND BUILT TO STAY THAT WAY'. My wife has a high CG, and a great sense of humor!

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>