How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-04-2002, 04:25 PM
punisher

SVX vs Legacy 2.5 GT

I have yet to drive the SVX but have been thoroughly satisfied with the Legacy 2.5 GT. Has anyone driven both? I'm very impressed with the legacy's acceleration once the rpms climb above 2500. How is the SVX's acceleration? Can anyone offer me a comparison between each vehicle's driving experience?
Old 04-04-2002, 04:57 PM
scooby

I have found the 2.5 GT to feel quite a bit quicker. This is most likely due to the profound weight difference between the two cars. I personally do not own a 2.5 GT, but I have a couple friends who do. The SVX is definitely faster at higher RPMs than it is off the line, too.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:09 PM
punisher

Unhappy

There is definitely a huge weight difference. I was afraid the legacy would be more agile than the SVX...but judging from the specs and it's following, I had assumed the SVX would out perform the legacy GT. Guess I'll have to take one for a test drive to figure it out.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:35 PM
I look like Gordon

Weight for Legacy 2.5 GT is about 3125 lbs, assuming the lightest model (5 speed sedan). At 165 hp, you are looking at nearly 19 pounds per hp. An SVX weighs aroung 3600 pounds, but with 230 hp, still has a much lower ratio of lb/hp, around 15.5 something. I realize you have gear ratio issues to consider, etc., yadda, yadda, yadda. I've driven an Impreza 2.5 RS, which I would guess weighs the same or less than the Legacy, and "my butt" told me my SVX would mash it under any circumstances. I like the 2.5GT though, and you have plenty of aftermarket performance upgrades available to make it into a real beast if you so chose. No denying which one wins the "cool factor" award, though.

Old 04-04-2002, 05:48 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
On a limb

I'll go out on a limb and say the SVX is faster than the 2.5 GT...now for reasoning. I know my car is faster than a 2.5 RS. I have personally taken the 2.5 RS (no big feat, really). According to every car magazine, the 2.5RS will handle the 2.5GT (0-60: 8 sec vs. 9-10 sec). Therefore, by the transitive property , the SVX will handle the 2.5GT. But, performance aside, the SVX is just so much cooler, and you KNOW IT!!!! Hahaha. I still wanna race a stock SVX to see if my performance has gotten better with all my mods.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 04-04-2002, 05:55 PM
I look like Gordon

Talking Bring it on

I'm game. You and me, buddy.

Can you make it to Reading, PA this weekend?

Note: Rufus does not advocate or condone "street racing" in any form.

Old 04-04-2002, 06:23 PM
punisher

You can never trust those 0-60 reports though. Every magazine and reviewer seems to get different 0-60 times for the cars I've compared. What I really like about the 2.5 GT is the fact that it seems to have higher ground clearance than the svx, which comes in handy when attempting steep driveways and bumps and what not, doesnt it? You mentioned mods...what kind of mods are available for the SVX as compared to the GT? You can tell i'm pretty new to this entire 'auto scene' by my obvious questions. =) Is there any way to perhaps raise the SVX up a few more inches? What about more power out of the GT...is that possible? This all just seems so exciting, getting a sweet car and then making it sweeter. Know what else I really dig?? I really dig the 2.5 GT's hoodscoop. That's just a cool look. The SVX's hood is very plain. I'm not bashing the SVX mind you, so dont get offended! I'm just kind of trying to educate myself about this vehicle. Perhaps there's some sort of a hood intake system (alla MAD MAX's car) that can be placed on the SVX??? Anything cool like that possible??
Old 04-04-2002, 06:47 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Technically....

I COULD make it out to PA, but I'd have to leave yesterday. So, I guess no race. I followed an SVX for about a mile yesterday and wanted to race it, but the 60 year old lady didn't want any. BTW...today I got a piece of a Bonneville SSEI and it was dead even. Take from that what you will.
Mods: Intake, Exhaust, Power Chip, lightweight uderdrive pulley.
As for ground clearance, the SVX is made to look sporty, and sporty cars ride low. Hood scoops are available, but many members feel they ruin the lines of the car. (For pics of a scoop go to www.motorsportswarehouse.com or look at the thread entitled "my remodeled SVX" or something like that. It's on the last page of threads.) I kinda do too. It was designed by ITALDesign (Guigario (sp??)) to be smooth and aerodynamic with a drag coefficient of just .29. This partially explains the windows too.
The 2.5 GT can be powered up like woah! There's alot more available for that engine than ours. I like the looks of it too. That's what I wanted until I learned, ironically, that a used SVX was cheaper.
I love the SVX, so if you wanna know anything just ask. There are many sites under the links section at www.subarusvx.com that explain the technological acievements of the SVX.

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 04-04-2002, 08:03 PM
punisher

Any more sites?

Wow that motorwarhouse site is pretty badass. You wouldn't happen to know of any sites like that which contain Legacy GT or WRX upgrade kits and such, would you? It seems like the Legacy didn't get really cool until the 97 model came out. The GT's 2.5 engine is a nice improvement over the standard 2.2 (something like that) but just the general body of the 97 and later models are so much more pleasing to my eye. Any older model (and thus less expensive) legacies I find are either wagons or arent all wheel drive. I did come across a Turbo Legacy today in my search, but the body is just too hondaish for me. <----I say that now, but watch in two months I'll probably be looking all over for a cheap one. Well, my search continues!
Old 04-04-2002, 08:26 PM
EverclearAtMSU

Quote:
Originally posted by punisher
What I really like about the 2.5 GT is the fact that it seems to have higher ground clearance than the svx, which comes in handy when attempting steep driveways and bumps and what not, doesnt it?
i've had no problems w/ steep driveways. Mine is crazy, my acura legend ALWAYS scrapped out going up or down, I haven't heard a thing from the svx. It actually has pretty good ground clearance, althought it doesn't look like it does.

Just go take one for a drive, you'll soon realize what you want
Old 04-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Any more sites?

Quote:
Wow that motorwarhouse site is pretty badass. You wouldn't happen to know of any sites like that which contain Legacy GT or WRX upgrade kits and such, would you?
www.i-club.com has a lot of Impreza stuff but also a pretty active Legacy section.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:38 PM
suby_qa

I have a 92 SVX.
I drive 2.5GT's all the time. (at work)
I have driven a WRX once.

Results...
The WRX is the quickest.
The SVX is the fastest.
The GT is back in 3rd. It has good balance (nimble and peppy) but isn't going to touch a SVX or WRX in its stock form.
I prefer my SVX, but for the money a new WRX is a true performance value.
My .02
Old 04-04-2002, 09:41 PM
punisher

i'm still salivating...

I envy you and your bountiful supply of subaru sports vehicles. If only I could get my hands on a WRX...perhaps the SVX will be what i'm after though.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:03 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Is there any way to perhaps raise the SVX up a few more inches? What about more power out of the GT...is that possible?

Did you say raise the SVX? Oh, no, no, no, no.

<<Steve is feeling smug.>>

More power for the Legacy?

Try www.cobbtuning.com .
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 04-05-2002, 03:51 AM
amuse

Liberty RX 2.5

Hi,

I have both an SVX and a Liberty RX 2.5 (Australian name for a Legacy). There's 3 models of Liberty here: the LX, the RX, and the B4 (twin turbo).

So unless I'm mistaken, the RX 2.5 is equivalent to GT 2.5?

In any case, I always thought the RX was pretty quick. Once I got the SVX it made the RX feel like a bus...

Cheers,
Pete