How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-24-2006, 09:53 PM
blue4blue

Trouble starting

Sheesh it was hot today. Had a fine day driving my 97 but when I stopped at a garage sale on my way home, it just wouldn't start back up. IT turned over fine, but it sounded like it was not getting enough gas. I let it sit and tried again but it sort of half caught for a couple seconds and then died out. I tried many times without success. Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2006, 11:06 PM

car running fine then you just it off and it wouldnt start. Thats typical of a timing belt jump. The sudden unlaoding of the belt can cause a worn belt to jump.
Do you have spark, and are your spark plugs wet (means injectors are working)?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:41 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Temp sensor? Many members here have had to replace there's. The manual lists it as one of the primary causes of no starts. A simple test of it's resistance when hot, warm, and cold can tell you if it's bad.

Another reason for no starts could be a bad Crank Angle Sensor 1. This one is harder to diagnose. You either need another good one to swap in or an oscilliscope to measure the wave form it produces.

Are you getting any codes from the ECU? Check engine light on or off, have you pulled them from memory?
Old 06-25-2006, 09:49 AM

thats why i was asking about spark and fuel. If any of those are bad, you wont get the other two.
would be interesting to try and pull the codes. you can have codes, but the CEL only comes on afetr the car is running (besides the start bulb check).
You can check the cam and crank sensors by using an analog meter set on the lowest setting, You are looking for a heart beat (needel movement) it wont be much, but will be noticable as the engine cranks.

nipper
Old 06-25-2006, 12:51 PM
<<<Alcyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4blue
Sheesh it was hot today. Had a fine day driving my 97 but when I stopped at a garage sale on my way home, it just wouldn't start back up. IT turned over fine, but it sounded like it was not getting enough gas. I let it sit and tried again but it sort of half caught for a couple seconds and then died out. I tried many times without success. Any ideas?
It was merely reminding you that SVXi were made to be driven, not parked!

Dan