Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-23-2006, 06:15 AM

Step on gas and car hesitates?

Ok another issue with my car, and i just want to confirm my conclusion or to get an answer to what is broken on my car. From a stop i start to accelerate and the car hesitates for a second then speeds up. It is also noticable after the acceleration and driving at lower speeds. I think this is a bad maf (judging from my other idle issue problem) or it is time to change my spark plugs. They haven't been change in a long time. I've been getting horrible about 260 miles per gas tank on a good day (highway and city driving, short distances). Can these simptoms all be related to maf and spark??

Thanks for the help guys
Old 06-23-2006, 08:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
yea i would change the spark plugs if i were you
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 06-23-2006, 08:31 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

spark plugs made no difference for me as i have this same problem...but only when my a/c is running....check the maf

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 06-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Locker Link Solution

if your other problem is a low idle stall then you should also check between the maf and throtle body for leaks. I saw one with this problem and the cause ended up being the driver side tube was folded over making it hard to start or drop to idle without dying.

It created a source for the engine to suck unmetered air in and therefore did not provide enough fuel. Hope that helps a little.
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:40 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
You can adjust the throttle cable too. There may be a little slack in the cable.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 AM

the idle is jsut speratic, it can jump from 700 to 2000. If i restart the car it kinda brings it back down to normal. I've posted a tread about this one before but didn't get it resolved. I'm just wonder if all these symptoms are for the same thing.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to SVXplorer
My black '92 also 'bogs' severely when I accelerate from a stop. The bogging is making left turns through traffic downright dangerous. I'm not yet entirely sure of the cause of the problem, but I'm going to start by replacing a bad O2 sensor
(on order) and go from there. If that solves the problem, then great, but if not, I'll have to start considering the throttle position sensor and the MAF. I'm also due for a spark plug replacement, but I don't think that bad plugs are the cause of my problem.

I also have some occassional variation in idle speed, usually between 300-1000 rpm. It doesn't happen very often, and it only happens when I put the car in 'park' after driving.

1992 LS-L Touring, Liquid Silver, 106k mi. "Alice." Brand-rebuilt title. Mods: WRX 6-CD changer, 16" Rage Vigor, PWR rad, Perrin LCP, JDM v.8 6MT.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Old Guy

Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable overnight and allow the ECU to clear out all codes. The following morning reconnect the battery cable and drive the car for a day. Then pull the codes from the ECU and see what the car tells you about its problems. Have you done the "bead crush" on the resistor mod? After you find and correct the problem(s), again clear the ECU codes overnight. Then, for the next two days, drive your car hard making quick starts from a stop. Allow your ECU to learn that you expect rapid and unhesitating starts. You'll be surprised how much your car can help you by adapting to your driving style. Best wishes.
Preston
Old 06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
Ecu

Don't forget to check your ECU and see if the "crush mod" has been done.

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click