How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 AM
dave998

Transmission Slipping 3rd & 4th Gear ???

Hello All, new to the site. I have a 1992 SVX with 159,000 miles. The car has always been meticulously maintained, (every receipt since new). The transmission was rebuilt by the original owner about 40K ago, but now it works fine in 1st & 2nd gear, but slips and revs as soon as it hits 3rd & 4th. I have bought a new car, because I rely on my car heavily for work and didn't have time to get it to the dealer. Anyone heard of this? Just wondering if I should bother taking it to my local dealer (who sucks), or just sell it as is. I figured the trans is probably gone again, and don't have the time to replace myself or have it done. Just figured I would ask before I sell it as is. Didn't know if this might be a common problem or something easy. Thanks again.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Hi, welcome to the site!

Bad news...losing 3rd and 4th means the high-clutch in the transmission is done for. It has happened to many (including me) and is one of the most common failures.

Your best bet is to look for a replacement tranny. A few have installed trannies with lower gearing (eg. 4.44) and really enjoy the increased acceleration. Others (like myself) have opted to install a manual transmission or have their tranny rebuilt.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:14 PM
dave998

Thanks

Appreciate the input, kinda figured I was in for a new Tranny. Anyway, look for a nice 92 SVX with tranny problems on the for sale page. Will be listing it shortly. Too bad, it is in otherwise realy great shape.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
If it's in great shape otherwise, why not just try to find a used tranny? You can get a decent used one for well under a grand.

Admittedly I haven't looked for one in a couple years...they might be a little more scarce these days.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-22-2006, 06:50 AM
dave998

Would do the tranny, but I am moving July 1st and already got a new car. Part of me wants to just have it garaged and make it a project later on in life, but just don't have time right now. It is now listed with pics on the for sale section. Need to sell ASAP, so if anyone wants to make me a reasonable offer, come and get her.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:08 AM

Just curious, how much are you looking to get for the car. And where are you located. I'm not familar with the US abbriviations.