Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-28-2006, 10:11 PM

I had a problem like that in my first xt. I was 16 and me and my friends went out late one night. I was trying to keep up with them in my 4 cyl and they all had V8's when I shifted up to 5th I accidently stuck it in 3rd. oops the tires locked up for a second the RPMs were pegged and suddenly my oil gauge wasnt working. I found some oil and put it in. The next day the car started ticking so loud that it was embarressing. What was weird was once and a while the noise would go away no ticking at all super quiet. When it did tick/tap it shook the engine. One day I just got pissed and pegged it out in 2nd gear. The vibration drove the drain plug out of the front differential and the car drove really funny after that.
A BOOM BANG BOOM CLUNK BAM BAM LATER the car finally stopped rolling as I got to my driveway.
The tranny only unlocked (with a loud CRACK!)when the tow truck pulled it up on the ramp. And that was the only reason the car was killed. Engine still ran strong up until it was towed.

Yes I am still a wreckless teen at heart but when I was a teen I was just plain suicidel behind the wheel. Invincible

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running

Last edited by spinn360; 03-28-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Which manual is "that" in??

It truly is embarrassing. I hate it myself.

Is Bush in jail yet? (Looks frantically at watch, then back up) How about now? Now? Come onnnnnn...... Someone freeze me until January, this wait is killing me.
Update: 09 January, and still not in jail! Wassup??

1992 Teal LS-L - 160k (Now new and improved with perfect paint!)
Old 03-29-2006, 07:54 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
I had noisy Valve Lash Adjusters VLA's (AKA...cam followers, lifters) in my XT and GL. I never quited them in the XT, never tried anything. But in the GL I tried a couple additives and found Risilone to be very effective.

http://www.autobarn.net/ch100-qr.html

Using this in combination with light oil in the winter (10w30) and heavier oil in the summer (20w50 or straight 30w) cleared up the problem intermittently. The ultimate solution was to replace the VLA's.

good luck.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dza
This is pretty much the last straw, I have to do something serious about it now. No more hoping for cleaners and flushing to unstick it, I guess I'll have to pay through the ****ing nose to have the lifter replaced. Why is it that I can go days without this happenening, then go a wekk where it's a problem??
So are you going to sell me your 19's to help pay for your engine repair?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:39 PM
#073 of 301

Being poor, I must return to the "dump **** into my engine and hope for the best" routine.

I need some assistance with Seafoaming. Can someone post a pic of the product to use (I don't trust the retards in my city to know what I'm talking about or sell me the right stuff), and I need a pic of the TB to determine where to inject this crap. The tickmobile shall tick no longer!
Barcelona Red '93 AE #073 of 301, 168k miles.

Last edited by Dza; 03-30-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dza
Being poor, I must return to the "dump **** into my engine and hope for the best" routine.

I need some assistance with Seafoaming. Can someone post a pic of the product to use (I don't trust the retards in my city to know what I'm talking about or sell me the right stuff), and I need a pick of the TB to determine where to inject this crap. The tickmobile shall tick no longer!

If your trying to get rid of a tick you need to pour one ounce of seafoam to one quart of oil.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:46 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Is it a dump-run-drain product?

I wouldn't want to dump gasolene into the crank case and drive around like that!
Old 03-30-2006, 02:51 PM

If I recall and I did you leave it in the crank case it's not a 10 minute engine flush thats why 1oz to 1qt. I have used it with no problems. I had a loud diesel sounding tap, clank, whatever you wan't to call it that went away within seconds of restarting the car.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:58 PM
Meow!

I've put ATF in the engine oil about a week before changing the oil. No lifter noise until I changed the oil. Then it came back. Mine's only for a few seconds after starting the engine.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:14 PM
#073 of 301

The ATF in the oil didn't do much for me. I left it in about 200 miles then did an oil change. My ticking used to be intermittant, so I thought it fixed it but it came back the next week. When I drove to work today (posting from work :P), it was the worst it has been. I'll seafoam tomorow and post results.

I just don't know where to use the seafoam still, so pics would be nice. I am what you call, mechanically retarded.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Meow!

I believe you just dump it in with the oil.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:54 PM
#073 of 301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
I believe you just dump it in with the oil.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...hlight=seafoam

?

I guess it'll have instructions on the canister.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Meow!

Instructions:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

I wonder if you can buy it in Canada?
Old 03-30-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dza
I just don't know where to use the seafoam still, so pics would be nice. I am what you call, mechanically retarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alltrac

If your trying to get rid of a tick you need to pour one ounce of seafoam to one quart of oil.

I give up if you don't get it yet. Take it to a mechanic and tell him to pour it in your oil via the filler neck.

Heres a mini how to
go to store and buy a can of seafoam
pull hood release lever to pop your hood
locate and remove oil cap
pour about half a can of seafoam into filler neck
replace oil cap and shut hood
start the car and listen
Old 03-30-2006, 09:35 PM
#073 of 301

I got what I needed from Earthworm's link http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

It was Step 1 in that list. I needed more on the TB. I have the whole "where does oil go in this car thing of mine?" figured out, I justed wanted to know about the rest. Cool that you can dump this in the gas tank too.

PS: The ticking stopped on the ride home from work today after I put the pedal to the floor (oddly enough, that was an attempt to stop the tick and it worked!). I'll still seafoam it tomorrow. Trip report to follow.