Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2006, 07:55 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

difference between turbo and supercharger

Whats the difference? I know turbo's have lag whereas superchargers dont but what are the main differences. My cousin has a chrysler crossfire and wanted to know.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 03-16-2006, 08:08 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Turboes are exhaust gas driven, meaning the gasses pushed out through your header pushes a turbine on one side of the turbo. On the other side is another turbine that sucks in and compresses the air going into your intake. There is lag because there isn't much exhaust pressure at low rpms.

Superchargers are belt-driven. The crank belt spins the turbines which compress the air into the intake. There is no lag with superchargers because the turbine spins directly proportional to your crank shaft.

Think of turbo lag like blowing on a fan, it would take a second to get it moving, especially with larger turboes. Now think of supercharger lag like having a little motor hooked up to that fan, it gets right up and moving.. but won't have much of a top end.

A wastegate on a turbo "opens up" at a certain psi to leak the rest of the boost out. A boost controller tells the wastegate when to open up.. earlier for low boost, later for high boost. A smaller pulley on a supercharger spins faster making it suck in more air, which is more boost. Superchargers are more reliable because turboes get very hot (the exhaust gasses passing through them).

There is much more to it but that's pretty much the gist of it.

Last edited by Ricochet; 03-16-2006 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 AM

Wow i learned alot from that post. Thanks!

So then why don't more people go the supercharger route instead of going turbo? I know people can go twin turbo...can you go twin supercharged? And my cousin said his crossfire has dual intakes....i dont know if thats true since i dont have the car in front of me...would that mean he would have to go twin turbo? Thanks for the input.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:53 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b on demand
Wow i learned alot from that post. Thanks!

So then why don't more people go the supercharger route instead of going turbo? I know people can go twin turbo...can you go twin supercharged? And my cousin said his crossfire has dual intakes....i dont know if thats true since i dont have the car in front of me...would that mean he would have to go twin turbo? Thanks for the input.
Superchargers aren't as upgradable as turbos, you can only go so small with aftermarket pulleys, but it depends on what kind of blower it is.. and no there aren't any twin superchargers. Pretty much every car only has one intake and superchargers themselves can be pretty large physically. As for the dual-intaked Crossfire I think he means heads.. Every V6 and V8 has two heads but are fed through a single intake/throttle body on top of the engine.

On a V6 yes you can go twin turbo, but each turbo would have to be small because each one is only feeding 3 cylinders. You could also have one huge turbo to feed all 6 though. There would be some lag, but at mid/high rpms there would be a lot more power potential where two smaller turbos would reach peak psi earlier. It really depends widely on how the car is setup and what it's going to be used for.. I've seen twin turbo V8's with two big turbos each feeding 4 cylinders, but the engines were totally built.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:29 AM

Thanks Brian. This is a pic of his engine bay taken off of a dodge site....

Old 03-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
But there is a concept between the two that I am not getting straight. You all know that when the A/C pump is ON, you feel the engine less responsive, like if you are pushing gas while overloading the car with 4 passengers. When you turn the A/C OFF, the car is in "relief" with better responsiveness. This happens because the A/C pump is activated with the engine rotation power. The supercharger uses the same concept, it takes power from the engine through the belt but on the other hand it pumps air back into the engine, hence providing power. But still the engine is stressed from that additional pump he has to activate even though it is providing more compression.

As for the Turbo, it is getting its power from the exhaust, so there is no stress on the engine except for that additional compression that the turbo is providing over the pistons.

Is my statement about the Supercharger above, correct? Then the engine will be "USED" more than the turbo engine.

And what are the Pros and Cons of each one? Let me be the first to state them:

Supercharger:
Pros: No lag at low rpms, and quick responsiveness.
Does not need continuous maintenance as the turbo does

Cons: higher fuel consumption from being continuously turned on with the engine
Power vanishes at high rpms.
Consumes engine life more than a turbo engine.
Belt driven, so it is gaining power and loosing power also in the same time.

Turbo:
Pros: Lower fuel consumption than the supercharger.
Power increase at high rpms.
Consumes engine life less than the supercharger.
Gains power from exhaust gas and not directly from the engine, hence the engine is gaining without a loss.

Cons: no power at low rpms, in other words, a lag.
Needs turbo maintenance each 30K miles (I think)

What is the best alternative? Am I correct above? and what about the electric blower, it can consume energy from the battery and still provide the desired output somewhere between the turbo and and the belt driven supercharger?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
NOOB on Demand

I bet that the engine you posted is a mercedes V8 engine inserted inside a dodge shell...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:41 AM

The chrysler crossfire is based off of a CLK. Alot of the parts in his engine bay have the mercedes benz logo on it. I thought he had a 6 cylinder engine though.

Old 03-17-2006, 09:02 AM
I brought some ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
What is the best alternative? Am I correct above?
What you're talking about is irrelivent. You'll lose maybe 5 crank horsepower in parasitic loss to gain 70-100 horsepower from a blower. Do the math. And no, power doesn't "vanish" at high rpms, it just flatlines at wot at low rpms and boost stays the same the entire rpm curve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
and what about the electric blower, it can consume energy from the battery and still provide the desired output somewhere between the turbo and and the belt driven supercharger?
Don't even bring up that piece of ****. It's expensive, has to charge up to use, gives minimal gains, and our cars already have electrical load problems..

Last edited by Ricochet; 03-17-2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:08 AM
I brought some ham.

Oh and that Chrysler engine looks like it'd be a pain in the crotch to work on with all those plastic shields everywhere.. I would just leave it stock. If he does decide to boost it though, those plastic pipes would need replaced with steel ones to hold the compressed air.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Oh and that Chrysler engine looks like it'd be a pain in the crotch to work on with all those plastic shields everywhere.. I would just leave it stock. If he does decide to boost it though, those plastic pipes would need replaced with steel ones to hold the compressed air.

What are those two plastic pipes anyway? Thats why he thought he had dual intakes.

Old 03-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet
Don't even bring up that piece of ****.
lol

Old 03-18-2006, 08:16 AM
I brought some ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b on demand
What are those two plastic pipes anyway? Thats why he thought he had dual intakes.
No friggin clue.. I posted this on my local forum and will let you guys know what they say.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I brought some ham.

Okay Crossfires do have two intakes, each having their own throttle body. Whether supercharging or (single) turbocharging you could custom make a Y pipe coming off it into each intake manifold. The exhaust would be complicated and pricey but could be done.. All six exhaust pipes coming off the engine would have to meet at the intlet of the turbo. It would be more effecient that all six pipes be equal length which is where $$$ signs skyrocket because the turbo would have to be mounted somewhere off to the side of the engine. It wouldn't fit in front of, underneath, or on top of the engine because there's no space!

Last edited by Ricochet; 03-18-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 PM
I brought some ham.

I was misinformed. They have two intake pipes going up and meeting eachother at the same throttle body. For a turbo, rip out both those stupid plastic pipes and just make one steel pipe going from the turbo to the intake.