How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-13-2006, 02:09 PM
Its a Classic!

EG33 kit planes and dune buggys

What is special about the EG33 that makes it a popular engine to use in kit planes and dune buggys?
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:31 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
The horizontal opposing geometry is good for airplanes. Good side-to-side balance. I suppose a V-6 geometry is ok too. I imagine though that a V-6 motor could be tall enough that it would not fit under the airplane sheet metal and obstruct view. People use all kinds of motors in dune buggies. WRX motors are very popular in dune buggies too.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 01-13-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

boxer engines are in a majority of small planes like cessna's. I believe planes are where the boxer got its fame from.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
boxer engines are in a majority of small planes like cessna's. I believe planes are where the boxer got its fame from.
No, that would be Hitler who brought about the boxer engine . Most of the early airplanes had those round type engines. Subaru engines have been very popular since the EA series for airplanes (which last I saw was still even 20 years almost out of production remains the top choice for experimental aircraft power). The EA series of course is insanely reliable and good for about 140hp with the right set up and it lacks the issues of timing belt and such that later Subies are hampered with.

as for the buggies, I think it helps alot that it can easily be adapted to a VW tranny which for years was the buggie engine of choice but lacked that essential go fast thing... POWER.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
The piston lay out allows much of the engine torque to be cancelled out internally and not be transferred to the chassis. Think of the engines you see in funny cars. when you goose the throttle they twist the frame. That could cause the plane to roll with enough power. The boxer engine still has some do to spinning components, but the piston strokes cancel each other.