Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 01-09-2006, 12:11 AM

Cam gears

I am currently accumulating parts for my turbo build.
AEM computer, garrett gt35r, wiseco pistons,ACT clutch, arp, RC injectors and more.
The motor is currently installed and running NA in my 98 impreza. I have not yet pulled one of these motors apart.
What I am interested in knowing is weather or not the cam gears on the 33 are the same as the ones on a 22 or other.
What I want is a set of adjustable gears to help build a turbo friendly torque curve.
Also if there are alternate cams available I would be interested in the specs.
At this point, however, Iam not interested in a weld a regrind job.

Thanks in advance- The Spindoctor
Dynoauthority Rednond WA
Old 01-09-2006, 02:01 AM
I brought some ham.

Send a message via AIM to Ricochet Send a message via MSN to Ricochet Send a message via Yahoo to Ricochet
gt35r sounds tiny for a V6, that's a lot of money for 250-300whp..
Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
cams are weld/regrind, sorry but no luck there. Also, the intake cam is not run by a gear on the timing belt, it is run off the motion of the exhaust gear. I don't know if subaru used this design on any of their other engines

Tom
Old 01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
For non-reground cams, you could try Cobb or Crower. Cobb told me once that they have built up several EG33 motors for the dune buggy crowd. Crower says that they'll make anything for the EG33.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:58 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
BTW, why not use welded/ground cams?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:44 PM

http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/GT42compress.jpg
This is my second choice for turbos.
I selected the GT35R for a fast spool.

As for the 'regrind' choice of cams: I will look at those that have a known history of performance. At this point I just don't want to be the test subject. After getting this project together and tuned on my dyno I will be in a better position to make grind change choices.

As for the cam gear to gear drive - Mercedes and BMW both have adjustable cam position drives (chain driven) and was thinking Subaru might as well.
The AEM would be able to control an adjustable cam timing set-up.

Thanks for all the comments and questions. Any input is great
-TSDr
Old 01-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
You are missing the point about the cam gears, they are not able to be adjusted and you could not fit adjustable gears on there. They are scissor gears and the two drives off the timing belt are on the exhaust cams. ALthough you could adjust them by taking the valbe covers off and jumping a tooth. That is 7.2* for each tooth so be careful

Tom
Old 01-10-2006, 02:04 AM

Lightbulb Think further out...

When I think of ways to improve a cars performance, I will dream up all sorts of weird **it (no matter how unlikely) such as water jetting off a couple sets of gears machining offset slides & useing the 'missing gear' space behind the timing cover to mount a Benz style cam gear adjuster (if there is room) making for an adjustable intake cam.
Now, obviously this is not likely to ever happen. But it would be cool. And it would work.
So having said all that you can save the WTF type replies for one of the many other bizzare thoughts I am sure to share when I have been up way to late.
Remember my favorite credo -
"Its the bizzare that prevents the normal from becoming the absured"
G-night - TSDr

ps-Its morning now and a reread with fresh eyes.
I forgot two points:
1) In response to TomsSVX about "missing the point" and "not able to be adjusted" - I try not to confuse 'cannot be done' type thoughts with 'has not been done yet' thoughts. Because it is do'able.
And
2) The cams being joined together in a reverse spin gear to gear fashion makes them 'as one camshaft'. This makes changing cam to cam overlap adjustments difficult- but not impossible.
However, if you make the t-belt gear adjustable (weather fixed, bolt down style or electric/oil pressure adjust on the fly)
you will be able to stretch your power band. Just like other VCT systems.
So bring it it on-
G-mornin - TSDr

Last edited by Spindoctor; 01-10-2006 at 08:24 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: