How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-01-2001, 10:41 AM
joeaux

Thumbs up

This could grow on me. If the speed stays up (i.e. Yahoo speed stinks) and everyone would do the mass migration on the 15th, this could work. And work very well. If there was only a way to take the entire Yahoo club, database it, and have it available here for instant use by everyone. It would be a lot easier to say, "use the search on the old Yahoo database" than telling someone the whole story again. Yep, I like this place. Kinda feels like it could be 'home'.
-joe-
Old 03-01-2001, 10:49 AM
joeaux

Question

Another thing. Who's actually in charge of this place? Is it you Ared? If we're gonna do this we gotta do it. I hated going back and forth with the Yahoo/eGroups thing. It was a pain. When we come 'over here' it's gotta be the end of Yahoo. Period.
-joe-
Old 03-01-2001, 11:37 AM
sith

If we could get like a text dump of the database from the cd joyhn does (subarusvx.com), it wouldnt be so hard to do some php/perl kung foo and get a web searchable version on line. It would even be feasable to feed the old posts into the UBB setup, but that would probably clog things up. I think a nice "archive" site that has the last 53,000 or so posts would be very hip though. On the other hand, I dunno what john would think about releasing that archive freely. I suppose though it wouldn't be too tough to write something to crawl yahoo and steal all the old posts.... hmmm....
Old 03-01-2001, 11:50 AM
SVXpowerman

We discussed this before the New

Forum was in operation.

Yes, it would be not problem to have a searchable yahoo data base online. The problem is the LAW SUIT that yahoo would file for doing this.

End of story, not feasible without yahoo cooperation.

Just tried out the spell check feature, pretty cool.....

Old 03-01-2001, 11:56 AM
sith

Does yahoo actually claim ownership of all the posts on their clubs? I just looked through their ToS and couldn't find anything specific - theres a part about not reselling access to their service, but that seems to deal more with the search engine part anyway.

Too bad though.. was already half done with the php to read all the yahoo posts to a db.. sniff..
Old 03-01-2001, 12:54 PM
Rev Hard

Exclamation Hmmm. Sith...

That May be legal. I think If we were to collect it and Put the info here to search it would be a 'violation' but if we used a php/perl/abc/123 script to search their archive it wouldnt matter where we posted it too........ Congrats you may have sparked a loophole. Because they do claim ownership of all posts. We would be just reusing their info........

Paul
Old 03-01-2001, 02:16 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Ask fogiveness, not permission. One would think that yahoo would have to give a "Cease and desist" notice before actual suit could be brought. Failure to "cease and desist" would be grounds for suit. Meanwhile, the messages, if pushed, could be claimed as "intellectual property" of the "posters" (if push really came to shove). I mean, heck -- it's flying out there in cyberspace for anybody to grab hold of. Not to mention the lack of ability to search -- I don't think they'd have a decent case -- but then, I'm not an attorney. Oh, and Joe, nope, I'm not running the place, I'm just jazzed on it and trying to promote it. Credit goes to Chris (Vidar) and the crack team he has put together on this deal.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 03-01-2001, 03:15 PM
sith

I may go ahead and do it on these grounds

1) I would be stripping out all html and everything that could be considered yahoo intellectual property
2) The only references to messages I could find in their policies indicated that they take no responsibility for the posts. Given that, I don't see how they can claim ownership.
3) They would have to be pretty bored to threaten a small non-profit enthusiast group for taking their own content and repackaging it. If we really wanted to we could probably get the story on Slashdot and make yahoo look real bad.

Just my thoughts on the matter, perhaps after my csci midterm tomorrow I'll throw something up with like 1000 messages for you folks to check out and if its cool ill archive the rest.
Old 03-01-2001, 03:20 PM
Rev Hard

Talking AHHHHhhhh

ok its sort of evil but think of all the traffic/potential new members we would get from an expose on slashdot!!!

ok im sick in the head but it is like free advertising...
Old 03-01-2001, 03:31 PM
SVXpowerman

I say who ever has the power to do it, just do it!!!

Free advertising would be cool.