Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 06-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
GM may be having some problems...

So i just talked to my friend today... Seems like the new LS7 isn't quite living up to everyone expectations. production has just begin and they already have 70 failed units (failed on dyno)... hopefully they'll figure out whats wrong soon though and re-man. cause i want to see new z06s on the streets

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-17-2005, 06:40 AM
Certified Porschephile

The LS7 is fairly ambitious with it needing sleeves to keep the pistons from falling out of the cylinders. It would just cost way to much to cast a whole new block rather then the bored out 348ci LS2 family. I like the Z06 and Motor Trend does a Corvette SS what-if with 600hp to stomp the GT and Viper.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
I heard they were planning a 07 Camaro (copying the Mustang by going with a 60's retro look) passed a a new RWD platform. A company memo was sent out stating that do to finanial conserns, the new platform design was being cancelled and all work on any projects based on the platform was to be stopped.

The story was a small blurb in a hotrod magazine a friend had. Funny thing is, before the article about the project being cancelled, had didnt even know they were designing one.

Last edited by mikecg; 06-17-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
So i just talked to my friend today... Seems like the new LS7 isn't quite living up to everyone expectations. production has just begin and they already have 70 failed units (failed on dyno)... hopefully they'll figure out whats wrong soon though and re-man. cause i want to see new z06s on the streets
Thats unpossible. T3h Z06 can nev4r l0se!!!!!!! GM for lyf3!!!!!!

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 06-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow
70 is a bit exaggerated. Also you are misunderstanding "failure" in this case. These engines are hand built...and once assembled they are thoroughly tested. The seals are tested and the engine is run on a dyno. If it fails any part of the test, it is then returned to it's builder to have the problem remedied. They estimated that this happens to about half the engines. 99% of the time it's for a bolt that is not properly torqued or an incorrectly installed seal. Also kee in mind that the problem rate will most likely be high considering this is a completely new engine being completely hand built by completely new employees in a completely new facility. Quality control is very very strict at the PBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
I heard they were planning a 07 Camaro (copying the Mustang by going with a 60's retro look) passed a a new RWD platform. A company memo was sent out stating that do to finanial conserns, the new platform design was being cancelled and all work on any projects based on the platform was to be stopped.
There will be a low-priced, RWD, V8 chevy coupe in 2007. The name "Camaro" is not official, nor is it totally expected. Many think it could be "Chevelle". Sources inside GM are saying not to expect a retro theme. Instead they say it will be more like the new Vette. Forward design with classic cues. We know alot more about the platform than the aesthetics. It will be built on the Kappa platrform (GTO). There will be three levels. The base will be powered by the 3.9L V6 tuned to 260hp with either a 4-speed auto or 5-speed manual. The mid level model will be powered by the 5.3l V8 (LS4) making 320hp with a 5-speed auto or 6-speed manual. The top model will be powered by a cammed LS2 (which is why we think next year's "Judge" will be the same), making 460hp and will likely only offer a 6-speed manual tranny. Because of the new architecture, it will be lighter than the 4.5th gen f-bodies by about 100lbs. Which also makes it lighter than both the new Stang GT and Cobra. Again Ford is getting beat simply because they dared to be first. Sucks but that's the way it works.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow248
70 is a bit exaggerated. Also you are misunderstanding "failure" in this case. These engines are hand built...and once assembled they are thoroughly tested. The seals are tested and the engine is run on a dyno. If it fails any part of the test, it is then returned to it's builder to have the problem remedied. They estimated that this happens to about half the engines. 99% of the time it's for a bolt that is not properly torqued or an incorrectly installed seal. Also kee in mind that the problem rate will most likely be high considering this is a completely new engine being completely hand built by completely new employees in a completely new facility. Quality control is very very strict at the PBC.
no, 70 is not exagerated.. and no, its not seals and such... my friend just dis-assembled one, and found every bearing in the entire motor to be destroyed, along with metal debris in the cylinder, and several other major problems. The metal is being analyzed this week both from the debris, cylinder wall, and pistons. I have no idea what would cause EVERY bearing in the motor to fail other than a MASSIVE oil supply issue. I guess a couple oil feeds on the crank weren't chamferred like they were supposed to be either. 70 is exactly half of the number that need to fail before production is halted for a redesign. these "failures" are full fledged failures... and GM at this point has no idea why. (however he said the new titanium rods are holding up beautifully, and are crazy strong.) I'm sure they'll get it fixed, however the release date of the z06 (supposed to start production after july shutdown) is being reconsidered because of this. Because of the massive extent of these failures, they are not sure if they'll be able to rebuild the motors... so they are considering sending them to dealers as displays of the new motors.

Shadow, just because something doesn't fit your wonderful image of GM doesn't mean that i'm making it up. like that billion dollars GM lost recently?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 06-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Unstoppable

Wow, Shadow talking out his butt again? That's a first.

Honestly, If I'm making a limited production halo car like the Z06, I hire only the most competent and experienced engine builders to do the assembly work for me. The kind that dont forget to tighten bolts. 1 unit failure would be an untightened bolt. 70 is a major design issue. And considering that there were so many, I'm willing to bet that the ones that have already checked out are going to fail at some point too. If they were smart, they would halt production right now so the can step back and look into what exactly is causing these engines to fail. The Z06 is one car they cannot afford to make a laughingstock of the automotive world, and if they do start grenading they will become exactly that, no matter what kind of numbers they lay down.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Unstoppable

Oh, and theyre not handbuilt in the traditional sense, or so I just found out. they have machines that do the critical work like torquing the main caps and heads. See for yourself:

http://www.motortrend.com/av/112_050...nebuild_video/

-George Carlin

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: