Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain

Old 04-12-2005, 03:19 PM

on the jdm auto tranny, why would you need to replace the rear diff? thanks
Old 04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieingSVX
on the jdm auto tranny, why would you need to replace the rear diff? thanks
because the final drive ratio is different. the actual gears are the same, however its a final drive of 3.7 rather than 3.545. This makes it such that you require the rear diff, because the "front differential" is inside the tranny.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-12-2005, 03:41 PM

i see, thanks for the info.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
danny, are you gonna rally your svx 6mt? Otherwise it has a 50/50 split that is traction enough. Trust me, Jesse's 6mt didn't skip a beat with a 165 shot of n02!!!!

Tom
Old 04-17-2005, 08:03 AM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
JDM tranny to drive??

I'm not quite sure why you guys rave about the JDM tranny as regards to drivability - my family has two JDM's and they both understeer like ba$tards without even pushin' em too hard. In fact I just about pulled myself off the road the other day as mine couldn't claw it's way through the corner. Certainly doesn't feel like a rear biased AWD!
My tranny is in pretty good nick too as far as I'm aware, and camber etc is all per standards.

Matt

Just Crusin'
Old 04-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
danny, are you gonna rally your svx 6mt? Otherwise it has a 50/50 split that is traction enough. Trust me, Jesse's 6mt didn't skip a beat with a 165 shot of n02!!!!

Tom
I am more racing cars on the highway (there still no real police presence to watch roads...).

The major cars i beated so far are the 2001 - 2002 BMW 330ci and the 97 impreza turbo (at the 100mph run).

and i am still running on my auto tranny, my six speed is still in my garage, just waiting to resolve the turbo matter in this forum...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
I'm not quite sure why you guys rave about the JDM tranny as regards to drivability - my family has two JDM's and they both understeer like ba$tards without even pushin' em too hard. In fact I just about pulled myself off the road the other day as mine couldn't claw it's way through the corner. Certainly doesn't feel like a rear biased AWD!
My tranny is in pretty good nick too as far as I'm aware, and camber etc is all per standards.

Matt
I don't have this problem, understeering and stuff... you should check your wheels balance. if your front wheels are regulated to their maximum outer distance, you will have this problem. you should squeeze them to the inside as much as you can. and if you have aftermarket wheels, just tell the guy to replace your front ones to make them smaller hence have a better grip than the rear ones. For example if you are running on 8" aftermarket wheels, just replace the front by 7.5" or even less, you will have a better grip. and you can even go to the extreme, by installing new tyres in the front wheels and used (midlife) on the back wheels...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear
I don't have this problem, understeering and stuff... you should check your wheels balance. if your front wheels are regulated to their maximum outer distance, you will have this problem. you should squeeze them to the inside as much as you can. and if you have aftermarket wheels, just tell the guy to replace your front ones to make them smaller hence have a better grip than the rear ones. For example if you are running on 8" aftermarket wheels, just replace the front by 7.5" or even less, you will have a better grip. and you can even go to the extreme, by installing new tyres in the front wheels and used (midlife) on the back wheels...

First you really don't want to get different sized wheels because what you're talkinga bout with different sized outer diameters of tires is what F's with the transfer clutchpack.

I'd suggest playing around in a parking lot. I've found in my US version, that with hard throttle application, my car slides completely neutrally. (i do have extra stereo weight in the back) but with light throttle, and taking a moderate turn, the front end can just slide one me. I think mbtolozcko's rear sway bar would be a good solution to neutral handling all the time

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 04-25-2005, 07:07 PM

Maybe a touch OT

How much of a handling difference would swapping a Euro spec tranny for a US spec tranny really make?

I'm going to have to replace / repair my tranny in the next year or so max, and was considering going with a Euro spec auto and have it worked over by Level10 in Jersey.

A six speed would be nice, but I've gotten used to the auto (I'm gettin' old too.) And would like peoples opinions on what the difference would be? Any Euro or Aussie drivers input would be tremendously appreciated.

Jonathan

Good people sleep peacefully in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:12 AM
A flight-less flyer

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingkiwi
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear

First you really don't want to get different sized wheels because what you're talkinga bout with different sized outer diameters of tires is what F's with the transfer clutchpack.

I'd suggest playing around in a parking lot. I've found in my US version, that with hard throttle application, my car slides completely neutrally. (i do have extra stereo weight in the back) but with light throttle, and taking a moderate turn, the front end can just slide one me. I think mbtolozcko's rear sway bar would be a good solution to neutral handling all the time
Yes, you don't want to screw with different sizes Silverspear - the rear bar in my case is a much better option. In any case, putting smaller tires on the front would make it understeer even worse I would have thought.

Matt

Just Crusin'