Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension

Old 06-02-2005, 12:33 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You weld the GC perch where the factory perch was (from what I remember). You also weld all around the bottom of the perch.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:37 PM
5 speeds rock! :D

Welding is actually not necessary. The factory springs sit loose in the perch, and the Konis work fine loose also.

We welded the outer edge of the GC perch shims to the factory perch, just because it made us feel better.

Our racer has no welding. I guarantee that no one on this board drives their car harder than we drive that one (except Porter). We've NEVER had any issue whatsoever related to them not being welded.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxhunter
Our racer has no welding. I guarantee that no one on this board drives their car harder than we drive that one (except Porter). We've NEVER had any issue whatsoever related to them not being welded.
Hmmm... 40 miles of autoxing, 1/2 tank of gas with 3 drivers plus all the instructors who wanted to drive it all in 2 days time.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM

I don't get it.

'92 LS-L Claret: '01 RS 4:11 5-speed, Exedy organic, lightened flywheel, and Koni/ GC
Old 06-02-2005, 03:03 PM

If anyone is interestred, my son is willing to build up Koni G/C struts, so they would be ready to bolt in. PM me.

Old 06-02-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Hmmm... 40 miles of autoxing, 1/2 tank of gas with 3 drivers plus all the instructors who wanted to drive it all in 2 days time.
This isn't a very accurate description of how this car has been driven...

Old 06-02-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
This isn't a very accurate description of how this car has been driven...

Sure it is. How many N/A SVX get less than 5mpg.

Within 1.5 sec of a Elise with a national caliber drive with 4 bad struts, a tranny issue causing it to bog down for about a second each lap loosing so valuable time and a "missing" (well not missing after the runs) sway bar bushing that shot out. How about that she was running 3/4 pegged by the time I finished my final run. That better. Still hoping you're wanting to keep her and put a cage in it with us. We have tracked down another hill climb preparer of an SVX as well up in the NE. Hoping we can talk him into splitting all the R&D to have one built right.

How's that Justy coming along?
Old 06-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Welding is actually not necessary. The factory springs sit loose in the perch, and the Konis work fine loose also.

We welded the outer edge of the GC perch shims to the factory perch, just because it made us feel better.

Hummm, Last season -- all day SCCA driving school with more than 20 runs around a SCCA-instructor designed autoX course -- snapped the driver's side front sway bar bracket (using the Mychailo-supplied monster front bar) and broke the bushing off of Mychailo's prototype 19mm rear bar....

This season -- larger tires and Konis on all four corners -- three events into the season and I've ripped the front sway bar bracket off of the passenger's side front strut housing (think this was partially due to the bracket not having been welded all the way around when Showa manufactured the strut housing). Bracket now TIG welded back in place.
Very large rear OEM sway bar holding fast (let's say the end links are a lot stronger than the standard pieces )

Pictures for all of this in my locker....

-Bill (charter member of the SVX racing R&D team - "design it, build it, break it, fix it, race some more )

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker

Last edited by SVXRide; 06-02-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Sure it is. How many N/A SVX get less than 5mpg.

Within 1.5 sec of a Elise with a national caliber drive with 4 bad struts, a tranny issue causing it to bog down for about a second each lap loosing so valuable time and a "missing" (well not missing after the runs) sway bar bushing that shot out. How about that she was running 3/4 pegged by the time I finished my final run. That better. Still hoping you're wanting to keep her and put a cage in it with us. We have tracked down another hill climb preparer of an SVX as well up in the NE. Hoping we can talk him into splitting all the R&D to have one built right.

How's that Justy coming along?
I thought you were trying to describe MY car.

The Justy is underway, but a slow start. Lots of planning, measuring, and scouting for parts. I don't think it will be powered by an EG33. I got a real good buy on an '02 WRX 2.0L turbo.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I thought you were trying to describe MY car.

The Justy is underway, but a slow start. Lots of planning, measuring, and scouting for parts. I don't think it will be powered by an EG33. I got a real good buy on an '02 WRX 2.0L turbo.

Slow is good, just so long as it doesn't get bogged down. Heck if you're going with a WRX engine, that could be made to fit up front couldn't it? Of course that would be a nightmare for suspension work but I think it would fit in there.

Bill, maybe its your driving . You can't turn the wheel 90 degrees at 50mph and expect that stuff to stay attached.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Hummm, Last season -- all day SCCA driving school with more than 20 runs around a SCCA-instructor designed autoX course -- snapped the driver's side front sway bar bracket (using the Mychailo-supplied monster front bar) and broke the bushing off of Mychailo's prototype 19mm rear bar....

This season -- larger tires and Konis on all four corners -- three events into the season and I've ripped the front sway bar bracket off of the passenger's side front strut housing (think this was partially due to the bracket not having been welded all the way around when Showa manufactured the strut housing). Bracket now TIG welded back in place.
Very large rear OEM sway bar holding fast (let's say the end links are a lot stronger than the standard pieces )

Pictures for all of this in my locker....

-Bill (charter member of the SVX racing R&D team - "design it, build it, break it, fix it, race some more )
OK, OK, OK. I take it back. You guys can all fight over who treats their car the worst.

The point was the Konis can handle it.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Heck if you're going with a WRX engine, that could be made to fit up front couldn't it? Of course that would be a nightmare for suspension work but I think it would fit in there.

My son started talking today about TWIN powerplants!

Old 06-02-2005, 07:58 PM

Quote:
My son started talking today about TWIN powerplants!

I firmly belive the future of drag and autoxing racing is defiantely in the electric aspect of things since you can get almost unlimited power out of an electric engine rewound for power. Get friendly with a crazy vacumn repair man and build away! Power shouldn't be an issue for a couple short runs.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
OK, OK, OK. I take it back. You guys can all fight over who treats their car the worst.

The point was the Konis can handle it.

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker