SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 01:02 PM
no limitation as limitation

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
Theres a drain hose on the drivers side of the trunk, make sure it hasn't become disconnected
yeah mine was and i plugged it back in this was a few months ago i should check to see if that fixed it. at this point im more worried about water comeing through the open driverside window.(the gears broke in the door and it slid down inside) but that will be fixed this tuesday and thahk god to i dont think i can stand not winding up the window anymore.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
There's actually 2 hoses in the trunk (1 on each side) that act as drains for the sunroof. I had one out of place so water would collect in that area.

Also any water that lands on the back window drains against the weatherstripping for the trunk, around the sides of the trunk and over the taillights. I found out that if you remove the taillight that water would instead leak through the holes for the light and into the trunk. If your gaskets for the taillights are old or loose then the water will get into the trunk this way.

I solved this by putting silicone on the taillight side of the gasket and grease on the body side before putting the assembly back together. No more problems since. Also no more moisture in the taillights!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:19 PM
no limitation as limitation

good idea

after my exam im going to try that.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm

Also any water that lands on the back window drains against the weatherstripping for the trunk, around the sides of the trunk and over the taillights. I found out that if you remove the taillight that water would instead leak through the holes for the light and into the trunk. If your gaskets for the taillights are old or loose then the water will get into the trunk this way.

I solved this by putting silicone on the taillight side of the gasket and grease on the body side before putting the assembly back together. No more problems since. Also no more moisture in the taillights!

Wow, thanks for the problem solving! I just checked my car, and noticed how the water came into my trunk. I unpluged the hole, and the water ran down to the ground, and it was kinda cool.

One more question, where did you get the silicone and what type?

Thanks.

-Ryu

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Liquid Silver (2007~2008)
1996 SVX LSi Bordeaux Pearl (2006~)
2002 Lexus IS300 Sportcross (2005~)
1992 Subaru SVX LSL Pearl White (2001~2005)
1994 Mercury Sable GS (1999~2001)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-11-2004, 05:43 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by SubaRyu
One more question, where did you get the silicone and what type?
Not sure on the type of silicone used. It's whatever my dad has at the time. This stuff was a dark gray...almost like our leather interior. I don't think it matters what type as long as it's a consistant bead all around where the gasket contacts the taillight.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Loki

Mine was like that too, however I also got really wet padding beneath the carpet of the interior. I think there is pics in my locker, this cause LOTS of problems for me. My windows would not roll down... water eroded the wires beneath the carpet... my car would not start... water eroded the wire to the fuelpump... I would try to get it fixed asap cause it spread havok in my car pretty damn quickly.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:44 PM
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthworm
Not sure on the type of silicone used. It's whatever my dad has at the time. This stuff was a dark gray...almost like our leather interior. I don't think it matters what type as long as it's a consistant bead all around where the gasket contacts the taillight.
Probably I can find it at some hardware store. That's really a good idea that I must do... I hope it's not expensive!

-Ryu

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-11-2004, 06:48 PM
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki
Mine was like that too, however I also got really wet padding beneath the carpet of the interior. I think there is pics in my locker, this cause LOTS of problems for me. My windows would not roll down... water eroded the wires beneath the carpet... my car would not start... water eroded the wire to the fuelpump... I would try to get it fixed asap cause it spread havok in my car pretty damn quickly.
Ooo that's scary.. wonder how that happened. Did you fix the problem already?
Now I started to get worry about something like that! Hope it won't rain so much... that's why I'm in LA.

-Ryu

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Smug doesn't pay!

Well, after spending some time this morning trying to find the source of what appeared to be maybe 3 different sources of water invading my son's 'teg, I decided maybe, since my car has been parked outside for the last 2 months while we worked on motor swap in other son's 'teg, I should check mine for water. ARGHH!!

I discovered there is a drain on each side, but it's a "Y" fed by 2 tubes each, apparently one for each side of the sunroof, one for the antenna, and I have no idea what the 4th one, pass side is. I had a surprising amount in the "well" under the antenna but the drains were connected and clear, (???) and some water in the spare tire well, I surmise coming from the tails. More to this than it first appears!!

I've been known to refer to my car as a "sailboat" on occasion, but never thought I'd be worrying about her springing a leak!!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 12-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Sue isn't really striped

I had a problem with a trunk carpool, cant remember what fixed it - taillight leak maybe?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:04 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Yeah why does the drivers side tail lights seem to get more water in em than the pasenger side? To this day the passenger side has always remained clear...yet the drivers side is always full of condensation.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Loki

Quote:
Originally posted by SubaRyu

Ooo that's scary.. wonder how that happened. Did you fix the problem already?
Now I started to get worry about something like that! Hope it won't rain so much... that's why I'm in LA.

-Ryu
Well the car is now totaled... so nope... never fixed it.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Yeah why does the drivers side tail lights seem to get more water in em than the pasenger side? To this day the passenger side has always remained clear...yet the drivers side is always full of condensation.
That's what exactly happening to my car! It's been one week after the rain, and it's pretty dry and nice here, but I still see water in my driver's side turn signal!!

-Ryu

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Da'Cheat

When you use a silicone, use a 'clear' or 'blue' RVT gasket. Do not use black, or red. Black RVT will melt the paint off the body, and sealant off the lights. Red is for high tempature. Blue or clear RVT will stay plyable and rubbery, and can be removed later on with a pocket knife.

The main areas of a leaky SVX trunk are the sunroof drains, the weather seals, tail lights, and the back windshield wiper.

fyi, there are two rubber drain plugs on the floor of the trunk. Pop them out with a screwdriver and drain your back end Leave them out if flooding is a bad problem.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Domo Arigato

Quote:
Originally posted by Da'Cheat
When you use a silicone, use a 'clear' or 'blue' RVT gasket. Do not use black, or red. Black RVT will melt the paint off the body, and sealant off the lights. Red is for high tempature. Blue or clear RVT will stay plyable and rubbery, and can be removed later on with a pocket knife.

The main areas of a leaky SVX trunk are the sunroof drains, the weather seals, tail lights, and the back windshield wiper.

fyi, there are two rubber drain plugs on the floor of the trunk. Pop them out with a screwdriver and drain your back end Leave them out if flooding is a bad problem.

Wow, that's so much great info, thanks! Do you know where I can get those RVTs?? Are they expensive??

I think rainy season will come back again soon, and now, I think I have to park my car again since my roommates car has to stay inside... At least I got my car cover for SVX!!

I used those drain pllugs, and it was fun to see water ran down behind the rear bumper.

-Ryu

Links:
2004 Honda S2000 (2008~)

1/43 Scale SVX Models

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]