Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Put them back, in my opinion. mmm you just gave me some ideas for my taillights project...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Graphic Artist

What in the heck are you talking about THAWA.

There is no beam pattern for turn signals.

State law states that taillights must be visible from 500 feet... end of story....

Turn signals by definition have no "beam" They are not ment to cast light?

Can you enlighten me as to how this effects the "beam pattern" and how that is at all relevant to tail lights?

1995 Ebony Pearl. S.N. 0001 "Araby"

JDM Power Mode Switch, Integrated GPS/Video Player
6Xk Miles.

1992 Teal - Sold to Mysvxrocks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 11-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Hater

mmmm....Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

looks good! its too bad the yellow part can't be replaced with a clear piece and used with the Silverstar Clear bulbs that glow yellow. that would look money, but i'm too lazy to go through all that work.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-19-2004, 12:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Hi nextse7en,

yeah u have done a nice job,,, they look very hot. But, i too recommend to put them back in if possible. The lens are helpful in the dispersion of light in all directions so that u can wide view angle of a particular light and at the same time wont mix up with another light beam. I think THAWA ia also trying to point it out.

But anyway its cool, if u like it and want to continue with them, its ur wish as its ur car. I don't wnt to discourage u, u have done really a good job. But, i hope there is a specific use fo using lens in between a light beam. Yeah, u r true there are no specific state laws for signals....

enjoy,
Pavan.

Last edited by pavanbabut; 11-19-2004 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Graphic Artist

The light is far brighter from all angles than it was before I took the diffuser out...

Our cars have turn signal extensions on the side of the vehicle... There is absolutly no angle that you can look at the vehicle from and NOT know that it is signaling.

If diffusion were an issue - then all cars would have it - they don't...

Try to find the beam pattern in a new mustang - no diffusers, and you can't see the turn signal from the extream right or left of the car.
the SVX actually has 2 diffusers - thats that round patterned rectangle you see in my taillights.

Mixing up the beams is also not relevant - the turn signal is now an INCREDIBLY bright yellow. Even that is beside the point - many cars have ONE outlet for turn - stop - and running lights...

Lets break this down... all lights are now at least 100% brighter.
the turn signal and stop are now MORE visible from EVERY angle.
It looks cooler than hell.

What exactly is the problem here?

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by nextse7en; 11-19-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut
Hi nextse7en,

yeah u have done a nice job,,, they look very hot. But, i too recommend to put them back in if possible. The lens are helpful in the dispersion of light in all directions so that u can wide view angle of a particular light and at the same time wont mix up with another light beam. I think THAWA ia also trying to point it out.

But anyway its cool, if u like it and want to continue with them, its ur wish as its ur car. I don't wnt to discourage u, u have done really a good job. But, i hope there is a specific use fo using lens in between a light beam. Yeah, u r true there are no specific state laws for signals....

enjoy,
Pavan.
I disagree, if you really see them by yourselves they will look faded, not bright !! and the light has no definite pattern: if you look at them from many positions, you will see a faded light line going towards you....

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:48 AM
THAWA

No beam pattern eh? How can light be seen without creating a pattern? I didn't say it was a beam pattern you needed to see from. How can a light not be meant to "cast" light? Does that not contradict the meaning of light? Look at your lights from far away. You may or may not notice that it's not filling up the space of the light housing. It's not shining out the right amount of light. It'd be similar to taking the lens off of a flashlight. This is what the diffuser does.

Let me ask you this question. Why do you think subaru put that in there in the first place?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by THAWA
No beam pattern eh? How can light be seen without creating a pattern? I didn't say it was a beam pattern you needed to see from. How can a light not be meant to "cast" light? Does that not contradict the meaning of light? Look at your lights from far away. You may or may not notice that it's not filling up the space of the light housing. It's not shining out the right amount of light. It'd be similar to taking the lens off of a flashlight. This is what the diffuser does.

Let me ask you this question. Why do you think subaru put that in there in the first place?
with the diffuser you see a fixed light going out from your car no matter where you stand, but he took it out of his taillights, now you will see a faded light having no fixed direction, because no matter where you stand you will see this line going towards you...

Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 AM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by nextse7en
The light is far brighter from all angles than it was before I took the diffuser out...

Our cars have turn signal extensions on the side of the vehicle... There is absolutly no angle that you can look at the vehicle from and NOT know that it is signaling.

If diffusion were an issue - then all cars would have it - they don't...

Try to find the beam pattern in a new mustang - no diffusers, and you can't see the turn signal from the extream right or left of the car.
the SVX actually has 2 diffusers - thats that round patterned rectangle you see in my taillights.
you're comparing apples to oranges. There's more than one way to dispurse light. For example, clear surface reflectors and fluted lenses. Clear surface reflectors would be similar to what you're explaining on the mustang lights, and fluted lenses would be similar to the diffuser setup in the svx lights. You can't try to change the setup just by removing the diffuser. It'd be similar to saying, since the sti engine makes 300 hp/tq you could slap the same turbo on the svx engine and make 450 hp/tq (300*2/3 = 450) 2/3 being the difference between cylinders. Apples to oranges.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 AM
THAWA

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

with the diffuser you see a fixed light going out from your car no matter where you stand, but he took it out of his taillights, now you will see a faded light having no fixed direction, because no matter where you stand you will see this line going towards you...
right, thats what i said in many more words
Old 11-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by THAWA

right, thats what i said in many more words
hehe, again xcuse me for the way I put it

Old 11-19-2004, 01:13 AM
Giong back to the beaters...

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
How would i go about doin somethin like that?
what he said

Edit ah well I see sorta now
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver

Last edited by thundering02; 11-19-2004 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:15 AM
Graphic Artist

Here is my new "beam pattern"

Now class, is anyone here having difficulty seeing the turn signal? its hard to notice at first - heres a hint ITS THAT GIANT YELLOW GLARE DROWNING OUT THE ENTIRE PHOTOGRAPH!

Note one - the lens on a flashlight does nothing but protect the bulb - it is flat (what we in the lens bussiness call "plaino") this means that there is no light being focused - it is simply passing thru...

The REFLECTOR is what causes a tight pin pointed beam... in your standard flashlight, this reflector is curved to appoxomatly 10.0 diopters sphered.

A diffuser does the following....
It diffuses... in other words... it lessens the light output in any specific direction by diffusing it in ALL directions... you also have to deal with a certain parasitic loss in the form of heat.

Now class, can someone PLEASE tell me what the "right" amount of light is?
Well, you may say!!! Anything that is visible to your friendly fellow motorists!
Now, on our cars, we have the following...
A reflector - this part is shiney - a racoon may even want to steal it!!! ... this casts light in a specific direction with a minimum of loss - and not all helter skelter like.

A focusing diffuser - this part is not shiney - no interest by mister raccoon! This little fellas job is to focus the light in a certain area - get this, in the center!!! by means of fluting and sphereizing, these means are accomplished....

An accessory diffuer - again - not shiney... this little puppys task is to look a certain way... and not in a different way...
it does absolutly nothing but please YOU the CUSTOMER!!!

Now, if Subaru hadn't put that there.... Well, you wouldn't be getting this handy little lesson about light!

Asking why they put it there is like asking why they put a wing on a an AWD car - or why they put those nifty windows in that odd configuration!!!!
Why the automatic seatbelts? Why the tachometer????

Why did the put a false light in the center of the front of the car? and forget about Mr. Grill?

They put that there for LOOKS!!!!

Listen - I manage a lab that cuts and refines lenses for telescopes and FRIKIN' LASERS!!!! Microscopes!!! Gun Sights!!! Cameras!!!!! Eyeglasses!!!!

I'm a professional in other words... belive me when I say it... this mod is cooler - brighter and safer than the original.

edit - this post may sound a bit caustic... sorry about that - I get defensive when I'm drunk... I put a lot of work into these... editing as needed.

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by nextse7en; 11-19-2004 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:28 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
VERY ANNOYING !!!! is this light legal in the States???

Old 11-19-2004, 01:30 AM
Graphic Artist

Good lord silver spear....

Quote:
I disagree, if you really see them by yourselves they will look faded, not bright !! and the light has no definite pattern: if you look at them from many positions, you will see a faded light line going towards you....
Man, which is it... a faded light or a bright light?

Any light is annoying when viewed dead on from 2 feet.

6Xk Miles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]