Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-26-2004, 04:45 PM

Power window Problem

I'm trying to track down a weird problem with my power windows. They all work fine from the driver's control panel, but the three passenger windows don't work from their own individual switches. (Please don't tell me to check the lock out control).

I've been tracing through the wiring diagrams, and they indicate that there should be a relay under the driver's seat. There's no relay down there. There's a connector but no relay.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

94 SVX L FWD
Bill
Old 09-27-2004, 05:18 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Check the plugin behind the driver door panel to make sure it's not a loose connection.

Also if you're looking under the driver's seat try looking in the holes in the carpet where the seat bolts to. I remember seeing something (relay?) in there last time I had the seat out but I don't remember what it was for.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:30 AM

It's also possible the individual passenger switches are shot.

dcb
Old 09-28-2004, 09:31 AM

My first thought was that the switch was shot (I initially only noticed the problem on the front, passenger's window). I bought a new switch and installed it. That wasn't it. There's no power coming to the switch. The wiring diagrams point me back to under the seat where there should be a circuit breaker and relay that distribute power to all of the window switches. Well there's nothing down there. The puzzling part is that without the CB and relay, the windows should never work from any control. I'm wondering if someone "rigged up" something.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:01 AM

I found the problem with the windows. The relay and circuit breaker under the drivers seat were shot. Totally corroded, wires broken.

To get at it, you have to pull the driver's seat.

A caution about the shop manuals. The wiring diagram shows that all window controls get their power from this relay. Either someone has rewired my driver's control or the manual is wrong. My driver's control module does not get power from this relay.