Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-24-2004, 01:21 PM

ignition switch/loose security bolts

I'm hoping someone who has done this procedure could share some knowledge on this. It's my understanding from reading the previous threads on this that i need to remove the plastic cover to get at the bolts and then drive them out with allen head bolts. Where are the bolts or screws that hold the cover on located. The ignition when moving it definitely feels loose. I can always get the car started but it may take a few tries. Any steps to get me started would be appreciated. Also, i haven't figured out how to use the smilies icons in my posts. Do i just drag them over to where i want to and should appear before i actually submit my post. Thanks for taking the time.

-Mike
Old 07-26-2004, 07:33 AM
Phil & Belha

I did this a long time ago, so forgive me if I forget something...

If you look at the bottom of the plastic shell that surrounds the steering column, you will see a number of deep holes containing cross-head screws. Just remove these screws. I think they are different sizes, so remember which one goes where. IIRC there's also a plastic rivet in each side which you just prise out.

You have to extend and lower the column and move the indicator and wiper stalks a bit, but it comes apart easily.

If your security bolts are loose, then you should find it easy to remove them. Then just slot the heads with a hacksaw, coat the threads in glue and do them up tight with a screwdriver.

Phil.