Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2004, 09:41 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Thumbs up SVX 4EAT is marvellous!

Previously, the only other auto car I owned was the SVT Lightning and it made me crave a manual when driving along twisty roads...but the SVX is a different story!

I had to drop my step-daughter off at the stables this morning for an all day horseback riding class and took a different route to work - 8 miles of twisty roads where the speed limit is 55mph and the caution signs around some turns indicate 15-25mph.

At no point during the drive did I ever wish for a manual - it is almost as if the TCU was telepathically connected to my brain. It downshifted at 'exactly' the right time and held a gear when I wanted it to.

Subaru did their homework on this transmission for sure!

-Chike

P.S. I'm currently working out the details to do a 4.44 4EAT swap into my SVX from a '96 Outback, and I'm starting to second guess myself about ever needing to do a 5spd swap. By the time I pay off this car (33 months), I may just get a used '04/'05 STI. No need in messing with perfection, eh?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 06-17-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:29 AM
red95svx

tranny IS good!

I happen to really like the auto tranny too. Throw it in Manual Mode and shift through the gears by hand on some twisty back road....tons O fun!

Dave
Old 06-17-2004, 10:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
This is refreshing. So many people ***** endlessly about the 4EAT in the SVX, but I happen to think that it really suits the car.

Granted, I've driven Alex's 6-speed SVX (a little), and that was fun. But the auto just...fits.

I'll be driving the SVX a lot this weekend (woohoo! - I haven't really driven it over the past couple weeks) and I look forward to the comfort and ease that he whole package provides. The auto is, to me, an integral part of that.

I do wish, now that I've learned a few things about driving, that it was more rear-drive biased, but that's a minor complaint in my book.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I like the 4EAT too. I had working the clutch in stop n go traffic for hours each day.

Do you know that manual botton is misunderstood lots of times?

You don't have to put in manual mode to shift thru the gears. In fact you may like it better if you don't.

The SVX was design for Grand Touring in all types of weather. The manual button is for the snow. It only works when the shfter is in 2nd or 3rd. It LOWERS the engine torque and increases the pressure to the transfer clutches for more rear wheel action. It's very good for snowy highway driving.

Manual mode in 2nd will get you only second gear no matter how slow you drive......

Manual mode in 3rd will get you 3rd and 2nd only.

Unless you have a JDM tranny. That's a whole different story. The rest of world has a different tranny than us US folks and IT actually does something more dramatic.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:06 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter

Do you know that manual botton is misunderstood lots of times?

You don't have to put in manual mode to shift thru the gears. In fact you may like it better if you don't.

I realize that. However, I have tried it with and without manual mode on and I find that with it on it is much more responsive and it provides engine braking. It also is less likely to upshift on it's own in manual mode.....something I like.

You may like it better if you do!

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 06-17-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:07 AM

Another thing I read about the US 4EAT is that if you put the tranny in 1st gear only, the torque split is kept at 50/50.

-Chike
Quote:
Manual mode in 2nd will get you only second gear no matter how slow you drive......

Manual mode in 3rd will get you 3rd and 2nd only.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:13 AM
red95svx

Quote:

It LOWERS the engine torque

It does that by skipping 1st gear.......which you can over-ride by putting it in 1st yourself! Problem solved

Dave
Old 06-17-2004, 11:36 AM
arondale

Crusing aggressively up to around 100 on the highway in 3rd is fun (did I just write that).

Throwing it in 2nd while at mid-speed is also fun (catapult).

Now, if I could override the ECU so that I can do the same for first, I'd have a lot of fun at very low speeds, but if you want to accelerate from 15+mph roll, its best to be in D.

The Legacy's TIP tranny would be a lot of fun in the SVX...been thinking about dropping it into BAD SVX.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:02 PM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Quote:
Originally posted by arondale
Crusing aggressively up to around 100 on the highway in 3rd is fun (did I just write that).

Throwing it in 2nd while at mid-speed is also fun (catapult).

Now, if I could override the ECU so that I can do the same for first, I'd have a lot of fun at very low speeds, but if you want to accelerate from 15+mph roll, its best to be in D.

The Legacy's TIP tranny would be a lot of fun in the SVX...been thinking about dropping it into BAD SVX.
Say it with me: "Overheat Tranny"

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 06-17-2004, 01:39 PM
arondale

Cool

Say it with me: Extra 4EAT with 8K mi. on it sitting in garage.

I drive as I please. My SVX has less than 30K miles on it anyway. If I should heat up the tranny, I can put the other auto in it or put in the STi 6-speed or Tip Legacy tranny in it. Either way, my driving experience only gets more interesting.

arondale
Old 06-17-2004, 03:18 PM

That's always good 'insurance' to have!

-Chike
Quote:
Say it with me: Extra 4EAT with 8K mi. on it sitting in garage.

I drive as I please. My SVX has less than 30K miles on it anyway. If I should heat up the tranny, I can put the other auto in it or put in the STi 6-speed or Tip Legacy tranny in it. Either way, my driving experience only gets more interesting.

arondale

Old 06-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
From my understanding...

the tranny seems more responsive (on upshifts) in manual mode because it is trying to hold the highest gear/lowest torque it can (again, for winter driving). Thus, if you have it floored in 2nd with manual engaged and shift to 3rd at 3000rpm, it will shift immediately. Without manual engaged, it will still decide when it wants to shift, wich will be closer to 6000rpm because you have it floored. Yes? No? I felt the manual explanation in the owners manual was clear in explaining its gear selection and shift timing.

Downshifts...no idea. But, I love to downshift and listen to the Magnaflow exhaust wind down. Sounds sooooo nice. I need to get some sound clips!!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 06-17-2004, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to rmjjensen
I must admit, I also like the 4EAT (at times). I think that it dam well knows when it just needs to pass someone, or when I want a serious downshift to accelerate and have some fun. I must admit, 1st gear annoys me though because it doesn't launch hard enough...most likely because it's an automatic. That's the only reason I'd want to transplant a manual in it, for that nicer hard core 1st gear.

Quote:
If I should heat up the tranny, I can put the other auto in it or put in the STi 6-speed or Tip Legacy tranny in it. Either way, my driving experience only gets more interesting.

arondale
I thought a 6-speed didn't fit in an SVX ...or was a serious pain in the ....

5-Speed Status: DONE!
Lambo Door Status: On hold but will be a success

04 WRX 5MT, STi Short Throw Shifter, Group N tranny mounts, AZA Z-2 18x7.5 Rims, slotted/cross drilled rotors, stainless steel lines, 35/20% window tint, ecu bead crush, power mode button; 7" In-dash touch screen LCD, mobile computer, voice recognition, alpine PXA-H701 DSP, 2 JBL amps, focal speakers all around, 5 farad cap, and fiberglassed subs in the trunk.

The Mobile Computer Interface - featuring the SVX | My Locker | My Secret Stash
Old 06-17-2004, 07:28 PM

It can be done with 'tweaking'! I know of one member who has an STI 6 spd installed. Thing is, even though the trannys are different sizes, when you do a MT swap, you'll have to get a custom driveshaft made (or adjust the length on your existing one). The STI 6spd hooks up to the EG33, so the driveshaft is the only major mechanical issue...

-Chike
Quote:
Originally posted by rmjjensen
I thought a 6-speed didn't fit in an SVX ...or was a serious pain in the ....

Old 06-17-2004, 09:12 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Doing about 25mph and then pushing the pedal through the firewall makes me love the 4eat. Slingshot. Awesome.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.