Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-31-2004, 12:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
My SVX shedding of it's old fur

Ok, the winter has almost passed, and my SVX decided to get rid of it's old coat and get a newer one, more brighter and noticeable.

Unfortunately it is not the best one out there, since I can't afford to go and hunt for very expensive animals. $1500 - $1700 should do it. The best part is that I am only paying a $1000, through my dad's work.

Well, anyway, it is yet to come. This Monday I am bringing it to the shop, and Good Luck to them, not to screw anything up. They never worked on SVX before, so I am very skeptical about what they are going to do with it.

About the place. Its called Maaco, I am sure someone have heard about it, here is there website, http://www.maaco.com/, so far they are the cheapest place I could find. The cheapest for the quality of course. I've been searching for quite a while now, and the paint job that I want for this car will run me on average of 3000k. There is no way I can put up with these kinds of finances. So, one day, the opportunity came around, and my dad accepted the trade job from Maaco. He builds them a tranny, they paint my car. I pay him my money, and then take back a car. (it rimes, lol)

Well, that is it for now, monday, monday, monday - and then a whole week of waiting. I will finish this post by the end of next week, if not longer.

nik

P.S. Pictures yet to come......
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 01-31-2004, 01:47 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Maaco, the chain painting shop is not good unless you have some insider who can really work on your body. They don't prep the car the way it should be done. A decent paint job can be bought from a better paintshop for 1000 bucks and chances are it will be better than maaco.

Just make sure that Maaco does EVERYTHING right if you bring it to them.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-31-2004, 07:09 AM

maaco=aamco=anthony a. martino company. Now owned by someone else.

The paint should be ok but the prep is everything and they usually do alousy job-big chunks falling off-at least my friend's Z years ago. We have Earl Scheib in NY-$59. any car painted.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:38 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffN
maaco=aamco=anthony a. martino company. Now owned by someone else.

The paint should be ok but the prep is everything and they usually do alousy job-big chunks falling off-at least my friend's Z years ago. We have Earl Scheib in NY-$59. any car painted.
Is it $59 or $590? I would think $59 wouldn't buy the paint, unless you were using home depot latex
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 01-31-2004, 04:01 PM
greg

eeekkk!

The way I hear it is that not only the prep being lousy they usually use single stage paint only (you know, one shiny color with no clear coat) which has barley any duability. You know depending on the color that Subaru uses two or three stage paints of usually the best quality. Meaning they have great durability. If yours is not peeling off or anyhting the chances are great that a full detail with color sand and buff could bring back the original luster for less that 300 bucks in most places!

-g
Old 01-31-2004, 06:03 PM

Used to be 59. now it may be 99.

You can re-clear coat over the old finish in many cases.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to zamorush Send a message via Yahoo to zamorush
Registered SVX
Yeah, that is exaclty what i have heard, however right no I have no choice.

The qualtiy? Well, if the chunks will start falling off, then there is a warranty for about 5 years. This will give me anough time to get me another paint job, or i will sell my car before that. I want a newer SVX anyway, looking in to 96 with about 40 - 50k . It is hard to get so, i'll be looking for another 5 years.

My dad said that they have done trade jobs with this company in the past, and there has not been a problem yet with cars that they painted. The only problem was the job done itself. It was not the best one out there. I just don't have the money for a better one, so have to stick with what there is, plus there is no way to find a good paintjob for 1000$ elswhere. I've looked. The average price is about 3k, and plus most of the shops don't want to deal with full car paint. Too complicated.

I'll do my best complaining.

thanks for the valuable input,
2011 Subaru Impreza
2009 Subaru Outback

Alternative Ways of getting around
2011 Felt Edict 9 SE
2009 Felt FX 35
2006 Cannondale CAAD9
Old 01-31-2004, 09:21 PM
greg

$1,000

I think that a thousnad dollars is kinda expensive for a full paint job with inferior products! Again depending on the color, the paint itself for PPG global products (one of the best in the industry) for two stage is only about $600.00-$800.00 including proper prep elements and a good sealer. So, for that amount of money I am surprised you can't find as good a deal or better considering you are paying that amount after a deal with your fathers trade agreement.

Too bad you are not in the eastern US I would be happy to do an SVX paint job at cost with best quality (with lifetime guarentee).

-g
Old 01-31-2004, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan
paint? mmm

hmmm I might take you up on that if its offered to any SVX... I have a 92 silver thats been repainted, but the black part has not, and its looking quite bad.... how much would it run me?
Old 01-31-2004, 09:58 PM
greg

Silver?

Silver is a two stage so the color and the clear, sand paper, sealer, prep solvent, tack rags, tape, paper, and a few other supplies: should be in the $700.00-$800 range. Black only would run a significant amount less because first there is less paint needed and second the black is always cheaper! Probably in the 300-400 range with all the prep elements.

Like JeffN said, you can just clear too, especially over the black, black seems to clear real good because the color doesn't fade too much in the first place so there is a good base to clear over.

Thats provoded there isn't any body work to be done.

A decent shop should charge about 1500-2000 to do the job I would think? Especially if there is no body work to be done. Even a car preped properly, considering there isn't a wait to get the car in, shouldn't take a shop more that two days maybe three if they were to color sand and buff as well as a full detail after it is painted. And just the black should take half the time. and even less time to just clear the car.

-G

Last edited by greg; 01-31-2004 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:32 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
hey Greg... how much do you think it would be to repaint a car thats already been mistreated by maaco?? Black paint, and i'd probably just keep it a nice shiny black, (i'd love like a REALLY dark green, but I think that'd be more expensive)... by the way... my name is Greg too how much do you think a body shop would charge?

Zamorush, i think you could probably get a pretty decent paint job from maaco, but due to the fact that your dad does business with them, I'm not sure you would want to complain and yell as much as would be neccesary for them to do a decent job... I thought I had heard that maaco uses pretty decent paint? not sure where though

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 01-31-2004, 10:45 PM
greg

OH NO,

Hey Greg, an already damaged car by Maaco? HHMM? You know there is not too much difference in cost of paint from black to green. I wouldn't imagine there would be more that 100 bucks, in fact I think 50-75 would be in the right ball game!

But to fix a bad job already done...I would recomend taking it down to the factory paint or the metal. Then you need to think about some kind of zinc primer or sealing primer to keep the sheet metal from rusting and corroding away. there is a significant cost to that due to the labor. In any event paint is not supposed to exceed .22mm in thickness at at anytime. I am guessing but I would imagine that would be the factory paint and another paint job. so it is recomended to evenly sand the entire car and then prime it appropriatly. Then think about the paint. That would be close to 3,000 bucks I would guess to do the entire car at a reputable shop? I don't know about IL. but there is a company called Keystone and they sell alot of great products for body shops and they are fairly inexpensive. They also sell Dupont paint products which seem to do very well. check them out and see if you couldn't pick up some supplies and get the car ready yourself!

I would be happy to help out with any questions or let you know what you need to do, that would save a bundle!

-G
Old 02-01-2004, 08:25 AM

Here's the link the Earl Scheib-looks like they;ve expanded.

I just remember them as smilin Earl on TV "Riiiight, I'll paint any car for 59.99..!" Ususally in resale-red.

http://www.earlscheib.com/pro1.asp
Old 02-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Good morning!

What Maaco are you taking it to? I've heard the shop in Vacaville has an excellent sprayer (The employee) and that they use 2 stage paint, I still wouldn't take my SVX there, but might take my BMW 325is there if I cant get my hands on a shop to spray it myself, if that works out then I would take the SVX.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Good morning!

BTW, the same people who said you can get a good paint job also said NEVER go to them for body work...