How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2004, 08:15 PM

Question request/favor

Anybody care to predict that with the OEM manuals I could rebuild the auto box @ home? Of course that requires the assumption that I'm not a total idiot mechanically (perhaps not a very safe assumption).

Or...

Anybody with the factory manuals want to lend me the volume that covers the auto tranny box so I could gauge the difficulty level myself? I would of course pay shipping both ways and promise: 1) to hold it only for a day or two, and 2) no greasy fingers will touch it.

Or... part 2:

If anyone in East Central Florida has one, I'd drive to your place just to look at it.

Or...part 3:

Anybody that has done the 5-speed swap AND has the OEM manuals want to part with just that one section for a reasonable price?

BTW, my tranny is working fine now, but if/when it goes out again I want to either do the job myself or move to the 5-speed - and would prefer to keep the auto. The rebuild job is past my current knowledge and I don't want to shell out the $$ to find out that even with the book the job is past my capabilities.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Wink

Lee, why not just post over at NASA that you need assistance with a possible future rebuild on an earthbound vehicle's tranny? I'm sure within three years a committee can be formed to present paperwork to requisition a US gov't manual that covers "Subaru moving parts 101".

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:34 PM

Ron,

All I can say is you must: a) have never worked for the Federal Government, or B) be the eternal optimist. To fund the study you have to program for the funds which means you have to start asking for the money 5 years before you actually need it. Let's see, 5 years to program funds, 6 months to study & determine best way to produce (book, CD-ROM, web page, etc), one year to produce initial draft, 6 months to Val/Ver (validate & verify contents), 3 months for contractor correction of errors found thru val/ver.....if all goes well....we should produce the first errata version after maybe another six months - to fix the errors nobody noticed the first time around because they didn't let anybody who actually turns a wrench review it....

back on topic (kinda). Why I'm asking: I copied the files Reaper generously posted, I bought a CD-ROM with Alldata info, and at work I have free access to the Mitchell's auto repair software. However, none of those three cover the internals of the auto box - well Mitchell's might but since they won't let you do auto box rebuilds in the hobby shop (nobody knows why anymore) they didn't pay for that part of the subscription.

For people reading this...to gauge my abilities: on the SVX I have done the rear wheel bearing thing, changed out the water pump, done brakes, changed my A/C compressor. I pulled & replaced the transaxle in my garage (on stands) when my differential died. In years gone by, I have rebuild engines in a Volvo, a Fiat, and multiple teardown/assemblies of a big block MOPAR.

However, I have never seen farther inside an auto tranny than removal of a valve body to switch a MOPAR 727 Torqueflight over into manual mode.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Lee, if it helps at all, here's my take. I have my old tranny on my garage floor. Having looked at my FSM to gauge the difficulty of rebuilding the tranny myself, I think I want to try it. For the most part the thing comes out in large pieces once you get the cover off. When you're ready to put it back together, pieces seem to just fit one on top of (or inside of) another.

The biggest concern for me is keeping everything clean. I get the impression that one chunk of dirt or debris in the wrong place can ruin the entire job. When I pulled off the extension on my tranny this weekend to get to the transfer clutch's solenoid, I found that I got dirt all over the place.

Get the FSM set and I think you'll come to similar conclusions - you seem to have slightly more experience than me, mechanically.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-22-2004, 05:24 PM

Thanks Pockets, this is along the lines of what I'm looking for from FSM owners before I shell out a couple hundred $.

I'm a reasonably good parts changer (meaning I can follow directions), but far, far, far from a mechanic.

Do you think the FSM goes far enough that if I forgot which order I took something apart, following the manual would allow me to put it back together correctly? I don't want to video the whole disassembly (but now that I think about it, it might not be a bad idea).

Clean, I can handle (said with more confidence than knowledge).
Old 01-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Thanks Pockets, this is along the lines of what I'm looking for from FSM owners before I shell out a couple hundred $.

I'm a reasonably good parts changer (meaning I can follow directions), but far, far, far from a mechanic.

Do you think the FSM goes far enough that if I forgot which order I took something apart, following the manual would allow me to put it back together correctly? I don't want to video the whole disassembly (but now that I think about it, it might not be a bad idea).

Clean, I can handle (said with more confidence than knowledge).
I reckon you could do it Lee, The section on the box is about 1/2" thick, goes into great detail on the order of part placement with good clear drawings that you could follow, I mean even Subaru techs could follow it.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

It is my understanding that the books are actually listed seperately so you should be able to pick up just the one with the tranny rebuild in it for well maybe $60 or so. I'd be happy to make copies and send those to ya. I'm still on Section 1 page 18 on my nightly reading for solving insomnia.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:50 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Lee, I'm sure you've chuckled at the time & cost satired comparison of the female vs. male approach to an oil change. Really, really, dwell upon it!
OK, if you MUST prove that manhood is dependent upon playing with strange parts, (Hmmmm...), well, anyway, why not buy someone's already pre-destroyed SVX box, & play with it? If you get lucky, & all the pieces that came out actually go back in, at least it's ready to fly when the time comes, and your wife won't think you're a total idiot.

Ron (Don't you wish NASA worked this way)?

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:53 PM

benebob,

thanks for the generous copy offer, but if it's 1/2" thick that's way too much trouble, I would want to have an original eventually anyway.

I didn't know it could be purchased in parts. Subaruparts.com doesn't show that...and I still don't have a local Subaru dealer.

One was supposed to open about 5 miles away by New Years Day. However, they responded to a letter saying early Feb is the earliest possible date. I think they forgot to bribe the county commissioners or something because they can't get a sales license. It's almost funny (if I didn't want one so bad) because the building is done, some new cars have arrived, but they can't sell anything (yet).

Harvey, thanks for the encouragement... but remember I'm a physicist

edit for above comment: "Any physicist could easily describe how to make a table with one leg, or an infinite number of legs, but it would take the rest of their life to make one with 4 legs." - a quote pulled from memory - made years ago by Laura Fermi, wife to Enrico Fermi

Last edited by lee; 01-22-2004 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Lee, I'm sure you've chuckled at the time & cost satired comparison of the female vs. male approach to an oil change. Really, really, dwell upon it!
OK, if you MUST prove that manhood is dependent upon playing with strange parts, (Hmmmm...), well, anyway, why not buy someone's already pre-destroyed SVX box, & play with it? If you get lucky, & all the pieces that came out actually go back in, at least it's ready to fly when the time comes, and your wife won't think you're a total idiot.

Ron (Don't you wish NASA worked this way)?

Ron, you make a great deal of sense and I was with you until after the comma of the last sentence.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Lee, I think Ron's idea of getting a trashed tranny and working on it while yours is still good.

Does anyone here have a good guesstimate as to how much it would cost in rebuild parts alone (no labor) to rebuild a 4EAT. Let's assume that the front diff and all are still good. I am thinking of one that simply is not shifting properly or will not go into gear at all. You know, like at least 80% of the trannies that fail.

-Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:59 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Lee,
Try calling liberty subaru in NJ. They sell at wholesale prices. Website is www.newsubaru.com.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Lee, I think Ron's idea of getting a trashed tranny and working on it while yours is still good.

Does anyone here have a good guesstimate as to how much it would cost in rebuild parts alone (no labor) to rebuild a 4EAT. Let's assume that the front diff and all are still good. I am thinking of one that simply is not shifting properly or will not go into gear at all. You know, like at least 80% of the trannies that fail.

-Johnny
I wasn't questioning Ron's idea at all - it's great.

I was questioning his assumption that my wife wouldn't think I'm an idiot.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Quote:
Originally posted by lee

I was questioning his assumption that my wife wouldn't think I'm an idiot.
LOL!

Good one Lee!

Todd
Old 01-23-2004, 04:38 PM

Lee,

FSM comes in 4 books:
1. Section 1 - general info
2. Section 2 - engine, 3 - transmission
3. Section 4 - Body, suspension, the rest
4. Section 5 - Wiring diagrams.

You only need section 3, but it comes in the same book with section 2. Yes you can this book separately from the rest (and it is not any cheaper to buy them in a bundle).

Rebuild kit (clutch disks, gaskets, seals) can be purchased from bulkparts.com - it's just above $300. Solenoid pack is another $250, transfer valve & solenoid another $100.

Yes, you could rebuild it at home. I mean assemble it back.
After 2-3 attempts it might even work :-)

The big question is if it is economically justified - if you have to replace torque converter, planetary gears, valve body, entire clutch packs, oil pump etc with new ones, you may end up spending more $$$ than a rebuild unit costs.